Re: : [NTO] Re: Aaarghhh!

  • Marco Bernardini
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 6, 2001

      Alle 09.12 Tuesday 06/02/2001 -0800, Paul King ha mandato a Marco questo
      messaggio:

      >Humor also is personal. My joke may not tickle your funny
      >no matter how hard I try. I know Marco has a good sense of
      >humor, but I can appreciate how a kitty in a jar upset him.

      Hi Paul!

      Usually my jokes has the same bad taste (often worst) of that site, but I
      tell them just to people I know can appreciate them, not on 8 PM TV news...

      Is not funny when you tell a joke to people who can't appreciate it!

      Bye!

      Marco Bernardini
    • Paul King
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 6, 2001
        Hi All:

        Let this be my final contribution to this thread:

        Years ago we had neighbors with a four-year-old son who was
        hyperactive and into everything. One day he told his mom:

        "If you find a kitty in a fruit jar, I didn't do it."

        Well, of course mamma began frantic search and extracted a
        frantic kitten from a screwtop mason jar. Now, this could have
        been tragic. If it had been done by a boy in his teens, it would
        have been psychopathic.

        But the tot who did it was acting out of curiosity even though it
        seemed obvious that he knew what he had done was unacceptable
        and maybe he couldn't get the lid off and just had to tell someone right
        away.

        I think this is a funny story. But I get mixed reactions whenever
        I have retold it. There would have been no story at all if it had
        ended in death for the kitten. I maintain that rescue of the kitten,
        who lived to be 14 BTW, made the boy's remark hilarious. I know
        some will disagree.

        The boy went on to become a much loved minister in his home
        town, but I think he will never forget how close he came to ending
        the life of his kitten and how it all ended well. And he can smile
        about it whenever the tale is retold in his presence.

        PK
      • Marco Bernardini
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 6, 2001

          Hi all!
          Ten minutes ago the collectors of my drawings risk to become rich very
          fast: there was an appalling quake here, very long, 3rd or 4th Mercalli,
          maybe more.
          If I got some news I post them... if you don't receive them please send a
          shovel ;-)

          Bye!

          Marco Bernardini
        • Bill Scott
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 7, 2001
            aaaa Marco:
            earthquakes are fairly common here ... but we havent had one for quite awhile live in northern california just south of Mt Shasta .... hope you and family are o.k. laddie .... if you need anything let us know mmm if you need new house you will probably not get this emaail .... aaaaaaa eeee splat .... sounds like birth pains ...

            Bill

          • DA
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 7, 2001
              Marco,

              What is a Mercalli? Over here we use a base 10 log scale called
              the Richter scale.
              Do you know how the two scales they compare?

              DA

              > Ten minutes ago the collectors of my drawings risk to become rich very
              > fast: there was an appalling quake here, very long, 3rd or 4th Mercalli,
              > maybe more.
              > If I got some news I post them... if you don't receive them please send a
              > shovel ;-)
            • Marco Bernardini
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 7, 2001

                Alle 07.25 Wednesday 07/02/2001 -0800, DA ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

                >What is a Mercalli? Over here we use a base 10 log scale called
                >the Richter scale.

                We use both, because Mercalli was Italian ;-)

                >Do you know how the two scales they compare?

                Here it is a table:
                http://nisus.sfusd.k12.ca.us/schwww/sch710/susanf/compscales.html

                And a (almost) real-time seismograph for Central Italy is at
                http://www.terremoto.org/sismogra/Default.htm

                Bye!

                Marco Bernardini
              • Lotta
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 7, 2001
                  Hi guys,

                  DA wrote:
                  >What is a Mercalli?

                  If I remember half right, the scales don't measure the exactly same thing.
                  The Richer scale is a quantitative, logarithmic scale, measuring the
                  magnitude and the older Mercalli indicated the power, the effects of the
                  earthquake. Similar to measuring either the speed of wind in m/s or the
                  (destroying) force in Beaufort.

                  Are you shakin', Marco?

                  Lotta
                • Marco Bernardini
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 7, 2001

                    Alle 17.52 Wednesday 07/02/2001 +0100, Lotta ha mandato a Marco questo
                    messaggio:

                    >Are you shakin', Marco?

                    Do you need a drawing of a girl with 3 arms, Lotta?
                    Yesternight I was drawing, when the table run away...

                    Bye!

                    Marco