: [NTO] Re: Aaarghhh!

  • Paul King
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 6, 2001
      Hi Lotta:

      You are not alone. I though it funny at first visit, although I
      can see how it might offend serious cat lovers as ethnic
      humor offends members ethnic communities.

      The site is another demonstration of how difficult it is to
      bring off humor and irony in print. It's why we use emoticons
      and <g> to convey connotation when we write email. If the
      content were spoken, instead of written, facial expressions
      and vocal inflections would tell us when the speaker is
      making a "funny."

      Humor in print comes through immediately only when it is
      written by a recognized comic. When we pick up a volume
      by James Thurber, we expect to snort and guffaw. And we
      never expect Dave Barry to be serious.

      Humor also is personal. My joke may not tickle your funny
      no matter how hard I try. I know Marco has a good sense of
      humor, but I can appreciate how a kitty in a jar upset him.

      Paul K.
    • Marco Bernardini
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 6, 2001

        Alle 09.12 Tuesday 06/02/2001 -0800, Paul King ha mandato a Marco questo
        messaggio:

        >Humor also is personal. My joke may not tickle your funny
        >no matter how hard I try. I know Marco has a good sense of
        >humor, but I can appreciate how a kitty in a jar upset him.

        Hi Paul!

        Usually my jokes has the same bad taste (often worst) of that site, but I
        tell them just to people I know can appreciate them, not on 8 PM TV news...

        Is not funny when you tell a joke to people who can't appreciate it!

        Bye!

        Marco Bernardini
      • Paul King
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 6, 2001
          Hi All:

          Let this be my final contribution to this thread:

          Years ago we had neighbors with a four-year-old son who was
          hyperactive and into everything. One day he told his mom:

          "If you find a kitty in a fruit jar, I didn't do it."

          Well, of course mamma began frantic search and extracted a
          frantic kitten from a screwtop mason jar. Now, this could have
          been tragic. If it had been done by a boy in his teens, it would
          have been psychopathic.

          But the tot who did it was acting out of curiosity even though it
          seemed obvious that he knew what he had done was unacceptable
          and maybe he couldn't get the lid off and just had to tell someone right
          away.

          I think this is a funny story. But I get mixed reactions whenever
          I have retold it. There would have been no story at all if it had
          ended in death for the kitten. I maintain that rescue of the kitten,
          who lived to be 14 BTW, made the boy's remark hilarious. I know
          some will disagree.

          The boy went on to become a much loved minister in his home
          town, but I think he will never forget how close he came to ending
          the life of his kitten and how it all ended well. And he can smile
          about it whenever the tale is retold in his presence.

          PK
        • Marco Bernardini
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 6, 2001

            Hi all!
            Ten minutes ago the collectors of my drawings risk to become rich very
            fast: there was an appalling quake here, very long, 3rd or 4th Mercalli,
            maybe more.
            If I got some news I post them... if you don't receive them please send a
            shovel ;-)

            Bye!

            Marco Bernardini
          • Bill Scott
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 7, 2001
              aaaa Marco:
              earthquakes are fairly common here ... but we havent had one for quite awhile live in northern california just south of Mt Shasta .... hope you and family are o.k. laddie .... if you need anything let us know mmm if you need new house you will probably not get this emaail .... aaaaaaa eeee splat .... sounds like birth pains ...

              Bill

            • DA
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 7, 2001
                Marco,

                What is a Mercalli? Over here we use a base 10 log scale called
                the Richter scale.
                Do you know how the two scales they compare?

                DA

                > Ten minutes ago the collectors of my drawings risk to become rich very
                > fast: there was an appalling quake here, very long, 3rd or 4th Mercalli,
                > maybe more.
                > If I got some news I post them... if you don't receive them please send a
                > shovel ;-)
              • Marco Bernardini
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 7, 2001

                  Alle 07.25 Wednesday 07/02/2001 -0800, DA ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

                  >What is a Mercalli? Over here we use a base 10 log scale called
                  >the Richter scale.

                  We use both, because Mercalli was Italian ;-)

                  >Do you know how the two scales they compare?

                  Here it is a table:
                  http://nisus.sfusd.k12.ca.us/schwww/sch710/susanf/compscales.html

                  And a (almost) real-time seismograph for Central Italy is at
                  http://www.terremoto.org/sismogra/Default.htm

                  Bye!

                  Marco Bernardini
                • Lotta
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 7, 2001
                    Hi guys,

                    DA wrote:
                    >What is a Mercalli?

                    If I remember half right, the scales don't measure the exactly same thing.
                    The Richer scale is a quantitative, logarithmic scale, measuring the
                    magnitude and the older Mercalli indicated the power, the effects of the
                    earthquake. Similar to measuring either the speed of wind in m/s or the
                    (destroying) force in Beaufort.

                    Are you shakin', Marco?

                    Lotta
                  • Marco Bernardini
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 7, 2001

                      Alle 17.52 Wednesday 07/02/2001 +0100, Lotta ha mandato a Marco questo
                      messaggio:

                      >Are you shakin', Marco?

                      Do you need a drawing of a girl with 3 arms, Lotta?
                      Yesternight I was drawing, when the table run away...

                      Bye!

                      Marco