[NTO] Re: AppBar

    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
      Hi Ray,

      >> Allow me to affirm Jody's mention of AppBar...

      > So I guess this isn't it?
      > http://www.rocketdownload.com/Details/Util/jgappbar.htm

      Probably not, it is hard to find now because there is a shareware
      product with the same name. Carl, when you tried a shortcut you
      must have goofed. I have never started it any other way than the
      Startup Folder. It's a monster, hope you have the disk space for
      it. <g>

      http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)

      Happy Camper,
      Jody Adair
      Prov. 15:15

      Clean-Funnies
      mailto:CF@...?Subject=subscribe
    • Carl Swann
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
        Raymond Fitzgerald wrote:

        > Hi Carl, Jody,
        >

        > >AppBar... - it is a small, fast, user-configurable launcher that hides
        >
        > So I guess this isn't it?
        > http://www.rocketdownload.com/Details/Util/jgappbar.htm

        Nope... different critter; if you want the install zip file, let me
        know by private e-mail cswann@... and I'll send it to
        you (less than 50kb).

        oOOo-(_)-oOOo
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
          Hi Carl,

          >The only drawback is that it won't start via Windows startup
          >folder;

          Try this, make sure you hold your mouth right this time ;->

          H=Make Shortcut
          ; one long line
          ^!MakeShortcut ^?[(H=14)&Folder==AppFolder|Desktop|DesktopDir|_StartMenu|Programs|Startup|SendTo|Favorites|Recent|CommonDesktopDir|CommonStartMenu|CommonPrograms|CommonStartup|CommonFavorites] "^?[Path to Application, the &target=^&]" "^?[&Arguments=_None^=|]" "^?[Shortcut &name=AppBar]" ^?[&Window state=_Normal|Maximized|Minimized]

          Happy Camper,
          Jody Adair
          Prov. 15:15

          Clean-Funnies
          mailto:CF@...?Subject=subscribe
        • Raymond Fitzgerald
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
            Hi Carl,

            >Nope... different critter; if you want the install zip file, let me
            >know by private e-mail cswann@... and I'll send it to
            >you (less than 50kb).

            Thanks for the offer! Got it here, thanks Jody.
            >http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)

            Ray
          • Carl Swann
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
              Lloyd wrote:

              > Could you please send me a copy of the Application Bar.
              >
              > Thanks in advance.

              Jody has a download link for it:

              http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip

              > This is the third time I tried to send to your address on the message, so I
              > will also send it to the list.

              The list chopped off part of my address, which is
              cswann@... (note *2* N's in swann)

              oOOo-(_)-oOOo
            • Carl Swann
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                Jody wrote:

                > AppBar...
                >
                >Carl, when you tried a shortcut you
                > must have goofed.

                Must have; I made a shortcut for the Startup folder and it works fine.
                Thanks! Hallelujah!

                Thanks for posting your download link:

                > http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)

                oOOo-(_)-oOOo
              • Lloyd
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                  Carl,

                  Got it now. Thanks.

                  Lloyd
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~

                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                    Hi Ray,

                    >Thanks for the offer! Got it here, thanks Jody.
                    >>http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)

                    You're welcome.

                    It is basically a plain Jane app, but that is the way I like it.
                    It is a bar sort of like the Windows Taskbar, but with no icons.
                    It looks and acts like a regular menu bar in a program. You add
                    main menus of programs to launch and then below the main menu the
                    programs in the menu for each. So you might have menus called:
                    Applications, Bible, Browsers, Fookes, Image, etc. I keep mine
                    on top and auto-hide. You can double click on existing items in
                    Edit... to edit that particular item. You can add &shortcuts,
                    but mine don't work in Windows 98 until after I give it the focus
                    by clicking on one of the main menus.

                    See ya in the funnies!
                    Jody Adair

                    Clean-Funnies
                    mailto:CF@...?Subject=subscribe

                    Proverbs 15:15
                    you missed a good joke!
                  • Raymond Fitzgerald
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                      Hi Jody,

                      >It is a bar sort of like the Windows Taskbar, but with no icons.
                      >It looks and acts like a regular menu bar in a program. You add
                      >main menus of programs to launch and then below the main menu the
                      >programs in the menu for each. So you might have menus called:
                      >Applications, Bible, Browsers, Fookes, Image, etc. I keep mine

                      Can't wait to try it at home tonight! But I'm wondering, especially now that
                      we have the clipbar, what's the difference between AppBar and creating the
                      same thing for ourselves in NoteTab? In fact, I know for my coworkers I'm
                      going to add my "Programs" clip to the clipbar and probably enhance it a bit
                      (there's no menus/submenus, only a list of program names).

                      Cheers,
                      Ray
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                        Hi Ray,

                        > Can't wait to try it at home tonight! But I'm wondering,
                        > especially now that we have the clipbar, what's the difference
                        > between AppBar and creating the same thing for ourselves in
                        > NoteTab? In fact, I know for my coworkers I'm going to add my
                        > "Programs" clip to the clipbar and probably enhance it a bit
                        > (there's no menus/submenus, only a list of program names).

                        Well, for starters, the AppBar is always there, mine when I move
                        the mouse to the top to take it out of autohide (which takes a
                        bit to get use to that way because of it dropping down when you
                        don't want it to like when you want to click an "x" but we
                        learn...). On the other hand you have to be in NoteTab to use
                        Clipbar. Further more, you can pull down a menu a click on the
                        name. Icons to not always tell all - we have to memorize them.
                        Tooltips take a bit longer to read and scroll through.

                        On my 15" at 600x800 30 icons is about max before wrap with no
                        keyboard shortcuts. The Clipbar is great, and for launching
                        NoteTab stuff quickly, yes, add an icon for it there. At the same
                        setup above one can get about 20 main menu items across the bar
                        in AppBar depending on what you name them. Each menu can hold,
                        oh, perhaps 30 items, again with shortcuts if you wish. So,
                        using my calculator in my NoteBack Library whilst I am here in
                        Eudora it says that 20*30 = 600. (grin - I love my toys) So, you
                        can have about 600 shortcuts on one tiny tucked away app that
                        takes a little bit more of space as 30 icons for your Clipbar.

                        Bye for now,
                        Jody Adair
                        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                        http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                        http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
                        http://www.sureword.com/notetab
                      • Julie G
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                          At 12:25 PM 02/01/2000 , Carl Swann wrote:

                          >> http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)

                          Hey thanks! That's a neat little program :-). Not too bad to set up when I
                          go into the folder view of Start | Programs and click on Properties for
                          the paths. I figure I'm about halfway done....... I've already deleted the
                          icons off of the Win98 QuickLaunch toolbar. What a way to spend the first
                          afternoon my kids have been back in school for a week <G>.

                          Maybe I won't go 'nomail' right away on this list <G>.

                          Julie in MD
                        • Lotta
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                            Hey, that sound good. Can anyone send it to me, please?

                            PBrowse
                            If anyone is interested I have a small (107Kb zipped) freeware, PBrowse, that is very usefull for keeping track of your images. Run it in any folder containing images and it will create a HTML file listing all gifs and jpgs in that folder for easy viewing. It will print img names but not, I'm sorry to say, sizes, under the pics. It's in swedish but there is only to buttons...Good thing to have when your lazy and have a short memory. Want it? Send me a mail.

                            Lotta
                          • Raymond Fitzgerald
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                              Hi Lotta,

                              >Hey, that sound good. Can anyone send it to me, please?

                              This is from Jody:
                              http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)

                              >If anyone is interested I have a small (107Kb zipped) freeware, PBrowse,
                              that is very usefull for keeping track of your images. Run it in any folder
                              containing images and it will create a HTML file listing all gifs and jpgs
                              in that folder for easy viewing. It will print img names but not, I'm sorry
                              to say, sizes, under the pics.

                              Now that you've got NoteTab, it's time to wean you from some of the others!
                              ;-) Go to the built-in Utilities clip library and run the "Images to HTML"
                              clip. Does everything you described plus image sizes. And of course being a
                              clip, you can modify it to suit your own requirements. Eric's actually got
                              two programs that also do this--the older freeware HTML Imager and the brand
                              new Album Express!

                              Let us know how ya like it!

                              Cheers,
                              Ray
                            • Carl Swann
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                                Julie G wrote:

                                > At 12:25 PM 02/01/2000 , Carl Swann wrote:
                                >
                                > >> http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)
                                >
                                > Hey thanks! That's a neat little program :-).

                                Glad you like it!

                                > Not too bad to set up when I
                                > go into the folder view of Start | Programs and click on Properties for
                                > the paths.

                                An easier way is to get CopyPath, a freeware utility that adds "Copy
                                Path" to your right-click menu; when you right click a file, it copies
                                the full path of that file to the Clipboard. Once CopyPath is
                                installed, you can locate the program file of each program you want to
                                add to AppBar (either via Explorer or the Browse button in the AppBar
                                config) and then right click it to choose CopyPath. Then go back to
                                the AppBar config and paste it in the window. Voila - the full path
                                for AppBar to read! CopyPath is a very useful utility... here's the
                                download link:

                                http://www.fullvb.de/soft/data/copypath.exe

                                oOOo-(_)-oOOo
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                                  Hi Lotta,

                                  >Hey, that sound good. Can anyone send it to me, please?

                                  http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)

                                  >If anyone is interested I have a small (107Kb zipped) freeware,
                                  >PBrowse,

                                  Have you tried Eric's HTML Imager v1.2a - freeware:

                                  http://www.fookes.com/
                                  http://www.fookes.com/software
                                  http://www.fookes.com/software/html-img.htm
                                  http://209.238.49.160/software/htmimg32.zip (209kb)

                                  Or the Shareware version, Album Express 2.0:

                                  http://www.fookes.com/album/index.html

                                  >It's in swedish but there is only to buttons...Good thing to have
                                  >when your lazy and have a short memory. Want it? Send me a mail.

                                  Sure, mailto:kjb1611@... or just upload it somewhere. tanX!

                                  Two buttons shouldn't be hard to figure out even for this ignernt
                                  hillbilly. ;)

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                                    Hi Carl & Julie,

                                    > CopyPath is a very useful utility... here's the download link:
                                    >
                                    > http://www.fullvb.de/soft/data/copypath.exe

                                    That's another goodie I use all the time, seems about daily. I
                                    almost forget it is not Windows. :)

                                    It will copy the paths of a whole directory too if you want or
                                    just some selected files.

                                    Here is the actual site, but it is in German. I did not see an
                                    English button:

                                    http://www.fullaccess.de/

                                    Julie,

                                    You mentioned going to Properties, etc. AppBar has a Find
                                    (browse) button to go the the app itself to add it. It always
                                    opens in the C:\ drive though so you need to use the pulldown to
                                    switch to another drive.

                                    1. Left click to focus and then right click over AppBar
                                    2. Choose Edit menu ...
                                    3. Click on a menu on left or add one, New Menu (double
                                    click to edit menu)
                                    4. Click on New App
                                    5. Click on Find.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                                      At 05:43 PM 02/01/2000 , Jody wrote:

                                      > > CopyPath
                                      > >
                                      > > http://www.fullvb.de/soft/data/copypath.exe

                                      >You mentioned going to Properties, etc. AppBar has a Find
                                      >(browse) button to go the the app itself to add it. It always
                                      >opens in the C:\ drive though so you need to use the pulldown to
                                      >switch to another drive.
                                      >
                                      >1. Left click to focus and then right click over AppBar
                                      >2. Choose Edit menu ...
                                      >3. Click on a menu on left or add one, New Menu (double
                                      > click to edit menu)
                                      >4. Click on New App
                                      >5. Click on Find.

                                      Thanks Jody... Since Windows so kindly puts everything in the Programs menu
                                      upon installation, I always group the apps to my liking (although I have
                                      clips to most everything I use all the time!). Browsing to the executable
                                      seemed more tedious then alt-enter'ing on the shortcut in the Program menu.
                                      I found that by adding programs from the properties in the Programs...
                                      folder, the path is already highlighted, I can copy and paste the path,
                                      and then the file name, and all the programs are all ready grouped the way
                                      I like 'em, so it's minimal fuss to organize (for me at least). CopyPath
                                      was very helpful for the smaller programs that weren't in the Programs...
                                      folder. Had a hard time trying to figure out what the readme file was
                                      saying though ;-). I then took all my Captor group clips from NoteTab and
                                      put them in their own file menu.

                                      Julie
                                    • Julie G
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                                        At 08:18 PM 02/01/2000 , Julie G wrote:

                                        >saying though ;-). I then took all my Captor group clips from NoteTab and
                                        >put them in their own file menu.

                                        That didn't seem to work :-(. AppBar only seems to like exe's I'm
                                        assuming? Is there a work around, or should I just use the clips I've
                                        created in NTP?

                                        Julie
                                      • Harvey R. Savage
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                                          Hi Julie G,

                                          I downloaded and started using AppBar. Its use is not limited to .exe
                                          files. I added a file - hrs.rtl - as an entry in appbar, it works
                                          great. You probably need to make sure, whatever the extension, it is
                                          associated with the appropriate executable, ie, add a .txt file to the
                                          menu and it will start NotePro with that file opened when you select
                                          that choice.

                                          hrs

                                          --
                                          ¿? Harvey R. Savage
                                          ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                                            Hi Julie,

                                            > saying though ;-). I then took all my Captor group clips from
                                            > NoteTab and put them in their own file menu.
                                            >
                                            > That didn't seem to work :-(. AppBar only seems to like exe's
                                            > I'm assuming? Is there a work around, or should I just use the
                                            > clips I've created in NTP?

                                            I have never made any NetCaptor Clips, unless you are talking
                                            about Clips in NoteTab you are trying to use on it. Then in the
                                            new beta you could add the shortcut to Notetab something like
                                            (from memory):

                                            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe /L=LibraryName:ClipName

                                            If you are talking about something in NetCaptor, perhaps you
                                            could rename the file with an .exe extension and the once you get
                                            it into NetCaptor rename it to what it needs to be.

                                            cya,
                                            jody

                                            Weather Reports:
                                            http://www.wunderground.com/US/FL/Milton.html
                                            Sojourners King James Bible Page
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 2, 2000
                                              At 11:30 PM 02/01/2000 , you wrote:

                                              >I downloaded and started using AppBar. Its use is not limited to .exe
                                              >files. I added a file - hrs.rtl - as an entry in appbar, it works
                                              >great. You probably need to make sure, whatever the extension, it is
                                              >associated with the appropriate executable, ie, add a .txt file to the
                                              >menu and it will start NotePro with that file opened when you select
                                              >that choice.

                                              The association is there... I don't what the difference is between last
                                              night and this morning, except for it being a new day, but they're opening
                                              just fine now. ??

                                              Julie
                                            • Carl Swann
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 2, 2000
                                                Julie G wrote:

                                                > The association is there... I don't what the difference is between last
                                                > night and this morning, except for it being a new day, but they're opening
                                                > just fine now. ??

                                                I often find I do better after a good night's rest, too... ;-)

                                                Glad the program is working for you.

                                                oOOo-(_)-oOOo