Re: [NTO] Aaarghhh!

  • Nancy Bernardine-Widmer
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 5, 2001
      I am truly appalled! Even if this isn't for real, the sick mind who would
      put this together is ... ( I can't even think of an apt description for this
      less than human sewage). Perhaps we should find a large bottle, encase him,
      and then force feed him with lots of fattening foods so he "grows" as a fat,
      contorted tree!

      Nancy

      Nancy Bernardine-Widmer
      Bernardine Fine Art Jewelry
      http://www.bernardine.com
      nancy@...
    • ceh
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 5, 2001
        Um, I think this was intended as a joke. If you read it, especially the
        "quotes" by people on the guestbook page it's obviously all made up. I knew
        it was fake for sure when I read the part about the super glue. The guys
        sense of humor can certianly be called into question, but all you cat lovers
        can rest assured that this is just a joke and that no cats were harmed in
        the making of the site. That was obvious from the pictures. It might have
        been more believeable if the guy had done some photoshop work to make it
        look like they were actually shaped differently or something.

        This is pure speculation on my part, but the author may have been trying to
        make a point, rather than just a bad joke. A "point out absurdity by being
        absurd" kind of thing. We geneticly modify plants and animals already, and
        it's getting to the point where people can decide the personality of their
        children, color of hair, etc. with the DNA modification work they're doing.
        If people have no problem with that, why not decide you want your pet to be
        shaped differently than the way God made it?

        But then again, the guy may just have a twisted sense of humor. Who knows.
        One thing's for sure: there's no lack of strange things to be found on the
        web!

        Emmett Hawkins

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 5, 2001
          Hi All,

          I took another look at the site. Emmett might be right. Too many of the things
          on the site seem to go too far to be real. If it is a hoax, I vote
          for Emmett's twisted sense of humor theory rather than some obscure point
          the author is making. What a lot of work for just a private laugh!

          DA

          ceh wrote:

          > Um, I think this was intended as a joke. If you read it, especially the
          > "quotes" by people on the guestbook page it's obviously all made up. I knew
          > it was fake for sure when I read the part about the super glue. The guys
          > sense of humor can certianly be called into question, but all you cat lovers
          > can rest assured that this is just a joke and that no cats were harmed in
          > the making of the site. That was obvious from the pictures. It might have
          > been more believeable if the guy had done some photoshop work to make it
          > look like they were actually shaped differently or something.
          >
          > This is pure speculation on my part, but the author may have been trying to
          > make a point, rather than just a bad joke. A "point out absurdity by being
          > absurd" kind of thing. We geneticly modify plants and animals already, and
          > it's getting to the point where people can decide the personality of their
          > children, color of hair, etc. with the DNA modification work they're doing.
          > If people have no problem with that, why not decide you want your pet to be
          > shaped differently than the way God made it?
          >
          > But then again, the guy may just have a twisted sense of humor. Who knows.
          > One thing's for sure: there's no lack of strange things to be found on the
          > web!
        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
            Hi,

            Me thinks the author has read some H.G . Wells. Specifically (I may
            remember the original title wrong) "The First Men In The Moon". Mildly
            paraphrasing what we humans do to ourselves and our fellow species perhaps.
            Am I the only one who finds the page amusing? I've ordered two black &
            white moulded in "antagonistic animal shapes".

            Lotta & Smirre
            (Smirre is a normally shaped black & white cat)

          • yoyazoo@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
              Hi Lotta,

              > Am I the only one who finds the page amusing?

              Actually I found it funny also ...

              Favorite guest book quote:

              From: Puss <puss@...> Date:
              Tue, 19 Dec 2000
              Extremely funny!! I did the same thing to my
              cat except I used a full size house! What a dummy I was!

              Dear Puss,
              Surely you jest, where could you possibly
              have obtained such a large kitten? Thank you for your letter
              anyway.
            • ceh
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
                Lotta wrote:
                > Me thinks the author has read some H.G . Wells. Specifically (I may
                > remember the original title wrong) "The First Men In The Moon". Mildly
                > paraphrasing what we humans do to ourselves and our fellow species
                perhaps.
                > Am I the only one who finds the page amusing? I've ordered two black &
                > white moulded in "antagonistic animal shapes".

                Either that one or "The Island of Dr. Morrue". And no, you're not the only
                one. Some of the stuff on there was rather amusing.

                Emmett
              • Marco Bernardini
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001

                  Alle 10.01 Tuesday 06/02/2001 -0600, ceh ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

                  >Either that one or "The Island of Dr. Morrue".

                  It was "Dr. Moreau". Nice story!
                  Free online at
                  http://www139.pair.com/read/H_G_Herbert_George_Wells/The_Island_of_Doctor_Moreau/index.html

                  The problem is there is always somebody curious to practice what he find on
                  the Net: some months ago 2 boys were killed, here in Italy, trying to make
                  explosives. Good candidates for Darwin Award...

                  Bye!

                  Marco Bernardini
                • ceh
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 7, 2001
                    Marco wrote:
                    > It was "Dr. Moreau". Nice story!

                    Moreau, that was it. I knew the spelling didn't look right, thanks.

                    Emmett