Re: [NTO] Aaarghhh!

  • Marco Bernardini
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 5, 2001

      Alle 15.03 Monday 05/02/2001 -0800, DA ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

      >I forwarded your message to the New York SPCA. The site looked real to me.
      >I hope they can put a stop to this!
      >
      >DA

      Even if it's not real, it's like to speak of ovens into a synagogue... true
      bad taste!

      BTW, what's the SPCA?

      Bye!

      Marco Bernardini
    • Harvey R. Savage
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 5, 2001
        Marco Bernardini wrote:

        BTW, what's the / Society for the Prevemtion of Cruelty to
        Animals?

        > Bye!
        >
        > Marco Bernardini

        hrs
      • Nancy Bernardine-Widmer
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 5, 2001
          I am truly appalled! Even if this isn't for real, the sick mind who would
          put this together is ... ( I can't even think of an apt description for this
          less than human sewage). Perhaps we should find a large bottle, encase him,
          and then force feed him with lots of fattening foods so he "grows" as a fat,
          contorted tree!

          Nancy

          Nancy Bernardine-Widmer
          Bernardine Fine Art Jewelry
          http://www.bernardine.com
          nancy@...
        • ceh
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 5, 2001
            Um, I think this was intended as a joke. If you read it, especially the
            "quotes" by people on the guestbook page it's obviously all made up. I knew
            it was fake for sure when I read the part about the super glue. The guys
            sense of humor can certianly be called into question, but all you cat lovers
            can rest assured that this is just a joke and that no cats were harmed in
            the making of the site. That was obvious from the pictures. It might have
            been more believeable if the guy had done some photoshop work to make it
            look like they were actually shaped differently or something.

            This is pure speculation on my part, but the author may have been trying to
            make a point, rather than just a bad joke. A "point out absurdity by being
            absurd" kind of thing. We geneticly modify plants and animals already, and
            it's getting to the point where people can decide the personality of their
            children, color of hair, etc. with the DNA modification work they're doing.
            If people have no problem with that, why not decide you want your pet to be
            shaped differently than the way God made it?

            But then again, the guy may just have a twisted sense of humor. Who knows.
            One thing's for sure: there's no lack of strange things to be found on the
            web!

            Emmett Hawkins

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 5, 2001
              Hi All,

              I took another look at the site. Emmett might be right. Too many of the things
              on the site seem to go too far to be real. If it is a hoax, I vote
              for Emmett's twisted sense of humor theory rather than some obscure point
              the author is making. What a lot of work for just a private laugh!

              DA

              ceh wrote:

              > Um, I think this was intended as a joke. If you read it, especially the
              > "quotes" by people on the guestbook page it's obviously all made up. I knew
              > it was fake for sure when I read the part about the super glue. The guys
              > sense of humor can certianly be called into question, but all you cat lovers
              > can rest assured that this is just a joke and that no cats were harmed in
              > the making of the site. That was obvious from the pictures. It might have
              > been more believeable if the guy had done some photoshop work to make it
              > look like they were actually shaped differently or something.
              >
              > This is pure speculation on my part, but the author may have been trying to
              > make a point, rather than just a bad joke. A "point out absurdity by being
              > absurd" kind of thing. We geneticly modify plants and animals already, and
              > it's getting to the point where people can decide the personality of their
              > children, color of hair, etc. with the DNA modification work they're doing.
              > If people have no problem with that, why not decide you want your pet to be
              > shaped differently than the way God made it?
              >
              > But then again, the guy may just have a twisted sense of humor. Who knows.
              > One thing's for sure: there's no lack of strange things to be found on the
              > web!
            • Lotta
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
                Hi,

                Me thinks the author has read some H.G . Wells. Specifically (I may
                remember the original title wrong) "The First Men In The Moon". Mildly
                paraphrasing what we humans do to ourselves and our fellow species perhaps.
                Am I the only one who finds the page amusing? I've ordered two black &
                white moulded in "antagonistic animal shapes".

                Lotta & Smirre
                (Smirre is a normally shaped black & white cat)

              • yoyazoo@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
                  Hi Lotta,

                  > Am I the only one who finds the page amusing?

                  Actually I found it funny also ...

                  Favorite guest book quote:

                  From: Puss <puss@...> Date:
                  Tue, 19 Dec 2000
                  Extremely funny!! I did the same thing to my
                  cat except I used a full size house! What a dummy I was!

                  Dear Puss,
                  Surely you jest, where could you possibly
                  have obtained such a large kitten? Thank you for your letter
                  anyway.
                • ceh
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
                    Lotta wrote:
                    > Me thinks the author has read some H.G . Wells. Specifically (I may
                    > remember the original title wrong) "The First Men In The Moon". Mildly
                    > paraphrasing what we humans do to ourselves and our fellow species
                    perhaps.
                    > Am I the only one who finds the page amusing? I've ordered two black &
                    > white moulded in "antagonistic animal shapes".

                    Either that one or "The Island of Dr. Morrue". And no, you're not the only
                    one. Some of the stuff on there was rather amusing.

                    Emmett
                  • Marco Bernardini
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001

                      Alle 10.01 Tuesday 06/02/2001 -0600, ceh ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

                      >Either that one or "The Island of Dr. Morrue".

                      It was "Dr. Moreau". Nice story!
                      Free online at
                      http://www139.pair.com/read/H_G_Herbert_George_Wells/The_Island_of_Doctor_Moreau/index.html

                      The problem is there is always somebody curious to practice what he find on
                      the Net: some months ago 2 boys were killed, here in Italy, trying to make
                      explosives. Good candidates for Darwin Award...

                      Bye!

                      Marco Bernardini
                    • ceh
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 7, 2001
                        Marco wrote:
                        > It was "Dr. Moreau". Nice story!

                        Moreau, that was it. I knew the spelling didn't look right, thanks.

                        Emmett