Re: [NTO] Aaarghhh!

  • DA
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 5, 2001
      Hi Marco,

      I forwarded your message to the New York SPCA. The site looked real to me.
      I hope they can put a stop to this!

      DA

      > I hope this site is a hoax: www.bonsaikitten.com
      >
      > THESE GUYS MAKE BONSAI WITH KITTEN!
      >
      > Here is an abstract from their intro page:
      > "By physically constraining the growth of a developing living thing, it can
      > be directed to take the shape of the vessel that constrains it. Just as a
      > topiary gardener produces bushes that take the forms of animals or any
      > other thing, you no longer need be satisfied with a housepet having the
      > same mundane shape as all other members of its species. With Bonsai Kitten, a
      > world of variation awaits you, limited only by your own imagination."
      >
      > And here is the address (from http://swhois.net)
      > Dr. Michael Wong Chang
      > PO Box 94976E
      > New York, NY 10027
      > US
      > 212-662-7544
      >
      > For a guy like this one, tar and feathers aren't enough...
      >
      > Please distribute this message to all your feline lovers friends.
    • Marco Bernardini
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 5, 2001

        Alle 15.03 Monday 05/02/2001 -0800, DA ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

        >I forwarded your message to the New York SPCA. The site looked real to me.
        >I hope they can put a stop to this!
        >
        >DA

        Even if it's not real, it's like to speak of ovens into a synagogue... true
        bad taste!

        BTW, what's the SPCA?

        Bye!

        Marco Bernardini
      • Harvey R. Savage
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 5, 2001
          Marco Bernardini wrote:

          BTW, what's the / Society for the Prevemtion of Cruelty to
          Animals?

          > Bye!
          >
          > Marco Bernardini

          hrs
        • Nancy Bernardine-Widmer
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 5, 2001
            I am truly appalled! Even if this isn't for real, the sick mind who would
            put this together is ... ( I can't even think of an apt description for this
            less than human sewage). Perhaps we should find a large bottle, encase him,
            and then force feed him with lots of fattening foods so he "grows" as a fat,
            contorted tree!

            Nancy

            Nancy Bernardine-Widmer
            Bernardine Fine Art Jewelry
            http://www.bernardine.com
            nancy@...
          • ceh
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 5, 2001
              Um, I think this was intended as a joke. If you read it, especially the
              "quotes" by people on the guestbook page it's obviously all made up. I knew
              it was fake for sure when I read the part about the super glue. The guys
              sense of humor can certianly be called into question, but all you cat lovers
              can rest assured that this is just a joke and that no cats were harmed in
              the making of the site. That was obvious from the pictures. It might have
              been more believeable if the guy had done some photoshop work to make it
              look like they were actually shaped differently or something.

              This is pure speculation on my part, but the author may have been trying to
              make a point, rather than just a bad joke. A "point out absurdity by being
              absurd" kind of thing. We geneticly modify plants and animals already, and
              it's getting to the point where people can decide the personality of their
              children, color of hair, etc. with the DNA modification work they're doing.
              If people have no problem with that, why not decide you want your pet to be
              shaped differently than the way God made it?

              But then again, the guy may just have a twisted sense of humor. Who knows.
              One thing's for sure: there's no lack of strange things to be found on the
              web!

              Emmett Hawkins

              > Here is an abstract from their intro page:
              > "By physically constraining the growth of a developing living thing, it
              can
              > be directed to take the shape of the vessel that constrains it. Just as a
              > topiary gardener produces bushes that take the forms of animals or any
              > other thing, you no longer need be satisfied with a housepet having the
              > same mundane shape as all other members of its species. With Bonsai
              Kitten, a
              > world of variation awaits you, limited only by your own imagination."
              >
              > And here is the address (from http://swhois.net)
              > Dr. Michael Wong Chang
              > PO Box 94976E
              > New York, NY 10027
              > US
              > 212-662-7544
              >
              > For a guy like this one, tar and feathers aren't enough...
              >
              > Please distribute this message to all your feline lovers friends.
              >
              > Bye
              >
              > Marco Bernardini
              > webmaster@...

            • DA
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 5, 2001
                Hi All,

                I took another look at the site. Emmett might be right. Too many of the things
                on the site seem to go too far to be real. If it is a hoax, I vote
                for Emmett's twisted sense of humor theory rather than some obscure point
                the author is making. What a lot of work for just a private laugh!

                DA

                ceh wrote:

                > Um, I think this was intended as a joke. If you read it, especially the
                > "quotes" by people on the guestbook page it's obviously all made up. I knew
                > it was fake for sure when I read the part about the super glue. The guys
                > sense of humor can certianly be called into question, but all you cat lovers
                > can rest assured that this is just a joke and that no cats were harmed in
                > the making of the site. That was obvious from the pictures. It might have
                > been more believeable if the guy had done some photoshop work to make it
                > look like they were actually shaped differently or something.
                >
                > This is pure speculation on my part, but the author may have been trying to
                > make a point, rather than just a bad joke. A "point out absurdity by being
                > absurd" kind of thing. We geneticly modify plants and animals already, and
                > it's getting to the point where people can decide the personality of their
                > children, color of hair, etc. with the DNA modification work they're doing.
                > If people have no problem with that, why not decide you want your pet to be
                > shaped differently than the way God made it?
                >
                > But then again, the guy may just have a twisted sense of humor. Who knows.
                > One thing's for sure: there's no lack of strange things to be found on the
                > web!
              • Lotta
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
                  Hi,

                  Me thinks the author has read some H.G . Wells. Specifically (I may
                  remember the original title wrong) "The First Men In The Moon". Mildly
                  paraphrasing what we humans do to ourselves and our fellow species perhaps.
                  Am I the only one who finds the page amusing? I've ordered two black &
                  white moulded in "antagonistic animal shapes".

                  Lotta & Smirre
                  (Smirre is a normally shaped black & white cat)

                • yoyazoo@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
                    Hi Lotta,

                    > Am I the only one who finds the page amusing?

                    Actually I found it funny also ...

                    Favorite guest book quote:

                    From: Puss <puss@...> Date:
                    Tue, 19 Dec 2000
                    Extremely funny!! I did the same thing to my
                    cat except I used a full size house! What a dummy I was!

                    Dear Puss,
                    Surely you jest, where could you possibly
                    have obtained such a large kitten? Thank you for your letter
                    anyway.
                  • ceh
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
                      Lotta wrote:
                      > Me thinks the author has read some H.G . Wells. Specifically (I may
                      > remember the original title wrong) "The First Men In The Moon". Mildly
                      > paraphrasing what we humans do to ourselves and our fellow species
                      perhaps.
                      > Am I the only one who finds the page amusing? I've ordered two black &
                      > white moulded in "antagonistic animal shapes".

                      Either that one or "The Island of Dr. Morrue". And no, you're not the only
                      one. Some of the stuff on there was rather amusing.

                      Emmett
                    • Marco Bernardini
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001

                        Alle 10.01 Tuesday 06/02/2001 -0600, ceh ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

                        >Either that one or "The Island of Dr. Morrue".

                        It was "Dr. Moreau". Nice story!
                        Free online at
                        http://www139.pair.com/read/H_G_Herbert_George_Wells/The_Island_of_Doctor_Moreau/index.html

                        The problem is there is always somebody curious to practice what he find on
                        the Net: some months ago 2 boys were killed, here in Italy, trying to make
                        explosives. Good candidates for Darwin Award...

                        Bye!

                        Marco Bernardini
                      • ceh
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 7, 2001
                          Marco wrote:
                          > It was "Dr. Moreau". Nice story!

                          Moreau, that was it. I knew the spelling didn't look right, thanks.

                          Emmett