Babylon Revisited: What Are We Really Saying?

  • thefrank
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2001
      Hello All,

      Grant, I noticed your post in XnView newsgroup re french msgs. I
      discovered a handy web utility that may be helpful.

      (posting here for the benefit of NoteTab users...explained below)

      http://www.alis.com:5050/cgi-bin/tempdemo.pl

      I pasted in the following:

      -----
      Bonjour,

      Je cherche une personne sur Uzes dans le Gard sachant me
      paramétrer
      une
      connexion pour un pc (celui de ma fille) moi je ne peux pas me
      déplacer pour
      quelques jours encore =(((((((
      rien de bien sorcier sys : windaube98 (connexion internet).....
      merci de me répondre

      A Pluches

      Bernard
      -----

      hit the button and quickly generated this return:

      -----
      Hello,

      I seek a person on Uzes in Gard knowing to parameterize me
      a connection for a PC (that of my daughter) me I cannot still move
      for a few days =(((((((
      nothing good wizard sys: windaube98 (connection internet)...
      thank you to answer me

      In Pluches

      Bernard
      -----

      While the returned translation is not *Oklahoma-Speak* (my
      preference) it is somewhat understandable. :)

      Why I posted this here (the *below* part referred to above): If one
      of our usergroup members here whose first language is not english, to
      maybe get a better idea of what is said here, or for our english-
      speaking (debatable, in my case...) members to quickly translate a
      native language post from a member who may not be confident of
      entirely making their point in english, and can submit their more
      eloquent native language post along with their best english effort.

      The free online demo service includes English, French, German,
      Spanish, Italian, Japanese, and Portugese, translating from any one
      language to any other (I suppose the *payme* versions do even more).

      While I am personally very glad most Note Tab List members post in
      English, this utility may be helpful in certain occasional cases...

      regards,

      tf

      ps:
      BigHappyBirthday(belated) Jody. Tnx for all your help.
    • Marco Bernardini
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2001

        Alle 00.28 Monday 05/02/2001 +0000, thefrank ha mandato a Marco questo
        messaggio:

        >http://www.alis.com:5050/cgi-bin/tempdemo.pl

        I try to translate "rami secchi" (dead branches): it wrote "coppers buckets"...
        Well, it's a hard thing to translate, because "rami" is the Italian plural
        for both "ramo" (branch) and "rame" (copper), but almost never used in
        Italian for "coppers", and "secchi" match "secco" (dry, or dead) and
        "secchio" (bucket).
        As usual there is a lot of words that can't be translated correctly out of
        their contest, but if I speak of copper buckets on my pruning page it
        becomes as famous as the Larry Bird page when translated in Italian!

        Bye!

        Marco Bernardini