Re: [NTB] cannot save files

  • Harvey R. Savage by way of Jody
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4 10:20 AM
      beret wrote:

      > Jody,
      > > I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
      > > http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm
      >
      > Some of the links are dead:
      >
      > -KERNEL32 Update
      > -Win95 OLE32 Update
      > -System Updates
      >
      > bert.

      Hi,

      Bert and Jody,

      I don't know if this will be of any help but I use both sites
      below to try to keep my computer software updated.

      Both links work pretty well. They both scan your hard drive to
      check for needed updates and the both come up with somewhat
      different results.

      The only thing you may not like is, the cnet site has to download
      and install a small program on your hard drive. I've had it for
      several months and it is, apparently, safe.

      Just pay attention to the term of the found updates, some are
      updates while others are upgrades. The upgrades are either
      time-limited or will cost for purchase of software.

      If you've already tried these with no help, sorry, but thay are
      handy to have around for a quick check.

      http://catchup.cnet.com/

      http://updates.zdnet.com/

      hrs
    • beret by way of Jody
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4 10:21 AM
        Jody,
        > I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
        > http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm

        Some of the links are dead:

        -KERNEL32 Update
        -Win95 OLE32 Update
        -System Updates

        cannot find a kernel update via microsoft-windows' main update page
        either.

        bert.
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4 10:22 AM
          Hi Beret, Harvey, and Others,

          We need to take this to private eMail now or the Off-Topic list.
          See below for the sign-up and my comments. I'm sending the two
          post from Beret and Harvey, plus this one over there.

          >> I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
          >> http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm
          >
          >Some of the links are dead:
          >
          >-KERNEL32 Update
          >-Win95 OLE32 Update
          >-System Updates
          >
          >cannot find a kernel update via microsoft-windows' main update
          >page either.

          You should have all the updates in IE5, but maybe that is what
          broke it? Did it start happening when you installed or upgraded
          IE? (Off-Topic list please:)

          They were good the other day - I'll check, they might be those
          kind that expire so people cannot use direct download links or MS
          already changed the links. That's why I gave the WinMag site who
          is forever checking MS who is forever changing their links. There
          was a separate link for some of the files.

          You might try this link and scroll through till you find kernal32:

          Choose Windows 95 and Windows 95 in both fields searching by Product:
          http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.asp

          http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.asp?PR=CHS&FR=0&M=S&

          http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=12742
          English Update, try replacing the EN-US with the German pages ;)
          Or change the pages to your country when first starting?
          http://download.microsoft.com/download/win95upg/whitepap/1/W95/EN-US/Kernel.exe

          Thanks for the info Harvey. Sometimes the updates MS used on the
          Win95 would not do anything if it already saw a current or newer
          on the drive though and I suspect doing it through the online is
          an automatic type thing. WinMag has the same kind of Active Update
          Center thing.

          You might get the Kernal PowerToys and/or regular PowerToys. One
          of them lets you read .cab files off a CD if you do not already
          have a means. I think WinZip supports it now. Anyway, I don't
          know the cabs, but since a reformat seems to fix the problem,
          then that would indicate the files on the CD should fix it if you
          can get the right files. I don't think DECOM95 (which is the
          main one you want) is on the 95 CD. In fact, read this from
          WinMag on CAB files:

          http://www.winmag.com/windows/win95/tips.htm

          PowerToys (Has the cab file thing)
          http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/wutoys/w95pwrtoysset/default.asp

          List of OS' for Tips
          http://tips.winmag.com/?ls=wmnavtips

          Hot Fixes Page
          http://www.winmag.com/fixes/default.htm

        • beret by way of Jody
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4 11:47 AM
            To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
            From: beret <beret@...>
            Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 17:32:38 +0100
            Subject: Re: [NTB] cannot save files

            Jody wrote:

            > I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
            > http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm

            The ghost is back in the bottle, for a while ;-).
            installing DCOM95 did it :-).
            After saving some 50 file under various conditions today I think I can
            make this statement without the need of knocking on wood.

            Perhaps a recent re-install of a prety old version of Norton Systemworkd
            has been causing the problem. Found a much older version of DCOM95
            somehwere in nortons' program-directories. Some DLL's must hav gone out
            of sync.
            Next time I know what suspucious things are to look at.

            My personal notetab-supportpage is in my personal archives, so you may
            delete it as far as I'm concerned.

            Jody Thanks again,
            And as soon as I can find Notetab Pro on the shelf of some computerstore
            in this village called the Netherlands, I will very seriously consider
            bying it.:-)

            > Happy NoteTab'n,

            for once, "yes indeed".

            bert.