Re: [NTO] unreal font viewer

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
      Hi Marco

      >"Usually" programs can see only installed fonts. But, in the same
      >way font viewers are able to open a ttf file, I bet a program can
      >use an uninstalled font... Must try, one of these days.

      Yes, one of these days... ;) Say, when's the espresso beans
      gonna get here? I got me a new espresso machine for Christmas! :-)

      Happy Test'n,
      Jody Adair

      Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 27, 2001
        Hi Bob and others,

        Lookie what I found at Microsoft's. A shell extension that adds some tabs
        to the "Properties" window and gives you a lot if information about the
        fonts you have on your computer. I don't understand half of it.
        http://www.microsoft.com/typography/property/property.htm?fname=%20&fsize=

        What fonts do you use with NTB? I'm a total font dummie and only have
        Fixedsys, MSI Console Courier and Courier New. Console is too bulky so I'm
        stuck with Courier New. It's too thin for me too see curly brackets and
        stuff comfortably. I like the clean look of MS Sans Serif and of the serifs
        I like for example Garamond. Know something similar but mono space?

        Bye
        Lotta
      • J. Michael Mollohan
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 27, 2001
          > What fonts do you use with NTB? I'm a total font dummie and only have
          > Fixedsys, MSI Console Courier and Courier New. Console is too bulky so I'm
          > stuck with Courier New. It's too thin for me too see curly brackets and
          > stuff comfortably. I like the clean look of MS Sans Serif and of the
          serifs
          > I like for example Garamond. Know something similar but mono space?

          Lotta, try the Lucida Typewriter Sans. I've been using this monospaced font
          since Windows 3.1 and haven't found anything I like better. It is pretty
          much a corollary to MS Sans Serif in the proportional.

          Michael
        • DA
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 27, 2001
            Hi Lotta, Bob,

            The shell extension looks interesting. I'm downloading it now.

            I use Andale Mono instead of Lucida Typewriter Sans because the
            difference between some of the letters is better. For example the
            zero and the upper case 'O'. It is very similar to Lucida Typewriter
            otherwise. It can be downloaded from Microsoft at:

            http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm

            I used to wonder why Microsoft would make such an ugly font as
            Courier New. Now I think this is because it is the only mono spaced
            font that takes up the same amount of horizontal space regardless of
            whether it is bold or not. I think this is why it is such a "skinny"
            font.

            If anyone knows of some other mono spaced font that is the same width
            regardless of whether or not it is bold, I would like to know about
            it. Note that a few applications will force the bold fonts to the
            same size as they are when not bold. I'd like to know how they are
            doing this. It must be a lot of work since most apps show a bold
            character by adding additional width to the character.

            DA