Re: [NTO] unreal font viewer

  • Marco Bernardini
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001

      Alle 18.33 Friday 02/02/2001 -0600, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

      >I learned of that trick a long time ago. I wonder if programs
      >will do with them like it does .dll files as far as if I put them
      >in the folder of the programs I use them with then they will be
      >seen?

      "Usually" programs can see only installed fonts.
      But, in the same way font viewers are able to open a ttf file, I bet a
      program can use an uninstalled font...
      Must try, one of these days.

      Bye!

      Marco Bernardini
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
        Hi Marco

        >"Usually" programs can see only installed fonts. But, in the same
        >way font viewers are able to open a ttf file, I bet a program can
        >use an uninstalled font... Must try, one of these days.

        Yes, one of these days... ;) Say, when's the espresso beans
        gonna get here? I got me a new espresso machine for Christmas! :-)

        Happy Test'n,
        Jody Adair

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 27, 2001
          Hi Bob and others,

          Lookie what I found at Microsoft's. A shell extension that adds some tabs
          to the "Properties" window and gives you a lot if information about the
          fonts you have on your computer. I don't understand half of it.
          http://www.microsoft.com/typography/property/property.htm?fname=%20&fsize=

          What fonts do you use with NTB? I'm a total font dummie and only have
          Fixedsys, MSI Console Courier and Courier New. Console is too bulky so I'm
          stuck with Courier New. It's too thin for me too see curly brackets and
          stuff comfortably. I like the clean look of MS Sans Serif and of the serifs
          I like for example Garamond. Know something similar but mono space?

          Bye
          Lotta
        • J. Michael Mollohan
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 27, 2001
            > What fonts do you use with NTB? I'm a total font dummie and only have
            > Fixedsys, MSI Console Courier and Courier New. Console is too bulky so I'm
            > stuck with Courier New. It's too thin for me too see curly brackets and
            > stuff comfortably. I like the clean look of MS Sans Serif and of the
            serifs
            > I like for example Garamond. Know something similar but mono space?

            Lotta, try the Lucida Typewriter Sans. I've been using this monospaced font
            since Windows 3.1 and haven't found anything I like better. It is pretty
            much a corollary to MS Sans Serif in the proportional.

            Michael
          • DA
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 27, 2001
              Hi Lotta, Bob,

              The shell extension looks interesting. I'm downloading it now.

              I use Andale Mono instead of Lucida Typewriter Sans because the
              difference between some of the letters is better. For example the
              zero and the upper case 'O'. It is very similar to Lucida Typewriter
              otherwise. It can be downloaded from Microsoft at:

              http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm

              I used to wonder why Microsoft would make such an ugly font as
              Courier New. Now I think this is because it is the only mono spaced
              font that takes up the same amount of horizontal space regardless of
              whether it is bold or not. I think this is why it is such a "skinny"
              font.

              If anyone knows of some other mono spaced font that is the same width
              regardless of whether or not it is bold, I would like to know about
              it. Note that a few applications will force the bold fonts to the
              same size as they are when not bold. I'd like to know how they are
              doing this. It must be a lot of work since most apps show a bold
              character by adding additional width to the character.

              DA