Re: [NTO] unreal font viewer

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
      Hi Marco

      >BTW, less font you install more fast run your Windows! Just put
      >less used fonts into a separate folder and install them just when
      >you need them.

      I learned of that trick a long time ago. I wonder if programs
      will do with them like it does .dll files as far as if I put them
      in the folder of the programs I use them with then they will be
      seen?

    • Marco Bernardini
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001

        Alle 18.33 Friday 02/02/2001 -0600, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

        >I learned of that trick a long time ago. I wonder if programs
        >will do with them like it does .dll files as far as if I put them
        >in the folder of the programs I use them with then they will be
        >seen?

        "Usually" programs can see only installed fonts.
        But, in the same way font viewers are able to open a ttf file, I bet a
        program can use an uninstalled font...
        Must try, one of these days.

        Bye!

        Marco Bernardini
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
          Hi Marco

          >"Usually" programs can see only installed fonts. But, in the same
          >way font viewers are able to open a ttf file, I bet a program can
          >use an uninstalled font... Must try, one of these days.

          Yes, one of these days... ;) Say, when's the espresso beans
          gonna get here? I got me a new espresso machine for Christmas! :-)

          Happy Test'n,
          Jody Adair

          Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 27, 2001
            Hi Bob and others,

            Lookie what I found at Microsoft's. A shell extension that adds some tabs
            to the "Properties" window and gives you a lot if information about the
            fonts you have on your computer. I don't understand half of it.
            http://www.microsoft.com/typography/property/property.htm?fname=%20&fsize=

            What fonts do you use with NTB? I'm a total font dummie and only have
            Fixedsys, MSI Console Courier and Courier New. Console is too bulky so I'm
            stuck with Courier New. It's too thin for me too see curly brackets and
            stuff comfortably. I like the clean look of MS Sans Serif and of the serifs
            I like for example Garamond. Know something similar but mono space?

            Bye
            Lotta
          • J. Michael Mollohan
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 27, 2001
              > What fonts do you use with NTB? I'm a total font dummie and only have
              > Fixedsys, MSI Console Courier and Courier New. Console is too bulky so I'm
              > stuck with Courier New. It's too thin for me too see curly brackets and
              > stuff comfortably. I like the clean look of MS Sans Serif and of the
              serifs
              > I like for example Garamond. Know something similar but mono space?

              Lotta, try the Lucida Typewriter Sans. I've been using this monospaced font
              since Windows 3.1 and haven't found anything I like better. It is pretty
              much a corollary to MS Sans Serif in the proportional.

              Michael
            • DA
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 27, 2001
                Hi Lotta, Bob,

                The shell extension looks interesting. I'm downloading it now.

                I use Andale Mono instead of Lucida Typewriter Sans because the
                difference between some of the letters is better. For example the
                zero and the upper case 'O'. It is very similar to Lucida Typewriter
                otherwise. It can be downloaded from Microsoft at:

                http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm

                I used to wonder why Microsoft would make such an ugly font as
                Courier New. Now I think this is because it is the only mono spaced
                font that takes up the same amount of horizontal space regardless of
                whether it is bold or not. I think this is why it is such a "skinny"
                font.

                If anyone knows of some other mono spaced font that is the same width
                regardless of whether or not it is bold, I would like to know about
                it. Note that a few applications will force the bold fonts to the
                same size as they are when not bold. I'd like to know how they are
                doing this. It must be a lot of work since most apps show a bold
                character by adding additional width to the character.

                DA