Re: [NTO] unreal font viewer

  • Bob Pigors
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
      Lotta,

      You got it right. Thanks for the enlightenment. - Bob

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001

        Alle 21.21 Friday 02/02/2001 +0100, Lotta ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

        >In HTML land you are basically limited to the fonts available on the user's
        >system. That may vary, so the only fonts that are safe to use are the very
        >common ones like Courier New, Arial and a few more.

        And don't forget Mac fonts: Helvetica for Arial and so on.
        This page is very interesting:
        http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-font-970721

        BTW, less font you install more fast run your Windows!
        Just put less used fonts into a separate folder and install them just when
        you need them.

        Bye!

        Marco Bernardini
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
          Hi Marco

          >BTW, less font you install more fast run your Windows! Just put
          >less used fonts into a separate folder and install them just when
          >you need them.

          I learned of that trick a long time ago. I wonder if programs
          will do with them like it does .dll files as far as if I put them
          in the folder of the programs I use them with then they will be
          seen?

        • Marco Bernardini
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001

            Alle 18.33 Friday 02/02/2001 -0600, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

            >I learned of that trick a long time ago. I wonder if programs
            >will do with them like it does .dll files as far as if I put them
            >in the folder of the programs I use them with then they will be
            >seen?

            "Usually" programs can see only installed fonts.
            But, in the same way font viewers are able to open a ttf file, I bet a
            program can use an uninstalled font...
            Must try, one of these days.

            Bye!

            Marco Bernardini
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
              Hi Marco

              >"Usually" programs can see only installed fonts. But, in the same
              >way font viewers are able to open a ttf file, I bet a program can
              >use an uninstalled font... Must try, one of these days.

              Yes, one of these days... ;) Say, when's the espresso beans
              gonna get here? I got me a new espresso machine for Christmas! :-)

              Happy Test'n,
              Jody Adair

              Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
            • Lotta
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 27, 2001
                Hi Bob and others,

                Lookie what I found at Microsoft's. A shell extension that adds some tabs
                to the "Properties" window and gives you a lot if information about the
                fonts you have on your computer. I don't understand half of it.
                http://www.microsoft.com/typography/property/property.htm?fname=%20&fsize=

                What fonts do you use with NTB? I'm a total font dummie and only have
                Fixedsys, MSI Console Courier and Courier New. Console is too bulky so I'm
                stuck with Courier New. It's too thin for me too see curly brackets and
                stuff comfortably. I like the clean look of MS Sans Serif and of the serifs
                I like for example Garamond. Know something similar but mono space?

                Bye
                Lotta
              • J. Michael Mollohan
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 27, 2001
                  > What fonts do you use with NTB? I'm a total font dummie and only have
                  > Fixedsys, MSI Console Courier and Courier New. Console is too bulky so I'm
                  > stuck with Courier New. It's too thin for me too see curly brackets and
                  > stuff comfortably. I like the clean look of MS Sans Serif and of the
                  serifs
                  > I like for example Garamond. Know something similar but mono space?

                  Lotta, try the Lucida Typewriter Sans. I've been using this monospaced font
                  since Windows 3.1 and haven't found anything I like better. It is pretty
                  much a corollary to MS Sans Serif in the proportional.

                  Michael
                • DA
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 27, 2001
                    Hi Lotta, Bob,

                    The shell extension looks interesting. I'm downloading it now.

                    I use Andale Mono instead of Lucida Typewriter Sans because the
                    difference between some of the letters is better. For example the
                    zero and the upper case 'O'. It is very similar to Lucida Typewriter
                    otherwise. It can be downloaded from Microsoft at:

                    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm

                    I used to wonder why Microsoft would make such an ugly font as
                    Courier New. Now I think this is because it is the only mono spaced
                    font that takes up the same amount of horizontal space regardless of
                    whether it is bold or not. I think this is why it is such a "skinny"
                    font.

                    If anyone knows of some other mono spaced font that is the same width
                    regardless of whether or not it is bold, I would like to know about
                    it. Note that a few applications will force the bold fonts to the
                    same size as they are when not bold. I'd like to know how they are
                    doing this. It must be a lot of work since most apps show a bold
                    character by adding additional width to the character.

                    DA