Re: [NTO] unreal font viewer

  • Lotta
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
      Hello Bob,

      >I thought you used NTP to program/develop web pages. In any event it
      >appears that abSee seemed interesting to you.

      Seems like the mistake was mine. I thought some earlier post had mentioned
      abSee.

      In HTML land you are basically limited to the fonts available on the user's
      system. That may vary, so the only fonts that are safe to use are the very
      common ones like Courier New, Arial and a few more. I've noticed that the
      fonts shipped with MS seems to vary depending on where in the world you
      live, which limits the choice even more.

      To use an unusual font for short "snips" like a link or some other short
      text one can always use the preferred font in a graphic editor and create
      an image of the text. Then a font viewer can come in handy so you don't
      have to keep all fonts on your machine installed.

      Hope I got it right this time :-)
      Lotta
    • Bob Pigors
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
        Lotta,

        You got it right. Thanks for the enlightenment. - Bob

        > >I thought you used NTP to program/develop web pages. In any event it
        > >appears that abSee seemed interesting to you.
        >
        > Seems like the mistake was mine. I thought some earlier post had
        mentioned
        > abSee.
        >
        > In HTML land you are basically limited to the fonts available on the
        user's
        > system. That may vary, so the only fonts that are safe to use are the
        very
        > common ones like Courier New, Arial and a few more. I've noticed that
        the
        > fonts shipped with MS seems to vary depending on where in the world
        you
        > live, which limits the choice even more.
        >
        > To use an unusual font for short "snips" like a link or some other
        short
        > text one can always use the preferred font in a graphic editor and
        create
        > an image of the text. Then a font viewer can come in handy so you
        don't
        > have to keep all fonts on your machine installed.
        >
        > Hope I got it right this time :-)
        > Lotta
      • Marco Bernardini
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001

          Alle 21.21 Friday 02/02/2001 +0100, Lotta ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

          >In HTML land you are basically limited to the fonts available on the user's
          >system. That may vary, so the only fonts that are safe to use are the very
          >common ones like Courier New, Arial and a few more.

          And don't forget Mac fonts: Helvetica for Arial and so on.
          This page is very interesting:
          http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-font-970721

          BTW, less font you install more fast run your Windows!
          Just put less used fonts into a separate folder and install them just when
          you need them.

          Bye!

          Marco Bernardini
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
            Hi Marco

            >BTW, less font you install more fast run your Windows! Just put
            >less used fonts into a separate folder and install them just when
            >you need them.

            I learned of that trick a long time ago. I wonder if programs
            will do with them like it does .dll files as far as if I put them
            in the folder of the programs I use them with then they will be
            seen?

          • Marco Bernardini
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001

              Alle 18.33 Friday 02/02/2001 -0600, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

              >I learned of that trick a long time ago. I wonder if programs
              >will do with them like it does .dll files as far as if I put them
              >in the folder of the programs I use them with then they will be
              >seen?

              "Usually" programs can see only installed fonts.
              But, in the same way font viewers are able to open a ttf file, I bet a
              program can use an uninstalled font...
              Must try, one of these days.

              Bye!

              Marco Bernardini
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
                Hi Marco

                >"Usually" programs can see only installed fonts. But, in the same
                >way font viewers are able to open a ttf file, I bet a program can
                >use an uninstalled font... Must try, one of these days.

                Yes, one of these days... ;) Say, when's the espresso beans
                gonna get here? I got me a new espresso machine for Christmas! :-)

                Happy Test'n,
                Jody Adair

                Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
              • Lotta
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 27, 2001
                  Hi Bob and others,

                  Lookie what I found at Microsoft's. A shell extension that adds some tabs
                  to the "Properties" window and gives you a lot if information about the
                  fonts you have on your computer. I don't understand half of it.
                  http://www.microsoft.com/typography/property/property.htm?fname=%20&fsize=

                  What fonts do you use with NTB? I'm a total font dummie and only have
                  Fixedsys, MSI Console Courier and Courier New. Console is too bulky so I'm
                  stuck with Courier New. It's too thin for me too see curly brackets and
                  stuff comfortably. I like the clean look of MS Sans Serif and of the serifs
                  I like for example Garamond. Know something similar but mono space?

                  Bye
                  Lotta
                • J. Michael Mollohan
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 27, 2001
                    > What fonts do you use with NTB? I'm a total font dummie and only have
                    > Fixedsys, MSI Console Courier and Courier New. Console is too bulky so I'm
                    > stuck with Courier New. It's too thin for me too see curly brackets and
                    > stuff comfortably. I like the clean look of MS Sans Serif and of the
                    serifs
                    > I like for example Garamond. Know something similar but mono space?

                    Lotta, try the Lucida Typewriter Sans. I've been using this monospaced font
                    since Windows 3.1 and haven't found anything I like better. It is pretty
                    much a corollary to MS Sans Serif in the proportional.

                    Michael
                  • DA
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 27, 2001
                      Hi Lotta, Bob,

                      The shell extension looks interesting. I'm downloading it now.

                      I use Andale Mono instead of Lucida Typewriter Sans because the
                      difference between some of the letters is better. For example the
                      zero and the upper case 'O'. It is very similar to Lucida Typewriter
                      otherwise. It can be downloaded from Microsoft at:

                      http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm

                      I used to wonder why Microsoft would make such an ugly font as
                      Courier New. Now I think this is because it is the only mono spaced
                      font that takes up the same amount of horizontal space regardless of
                      whether it is bold or not. I think this is why it is such a "skinny"
                      font.

                      If anyone knows of some other mono spaced font that is the same width
                      regardless of whether or not it is bold, I would like to know about
                      it. Note that a few applications will force the bold fonts to the
                      same size as they are when not bold. I'd like to know how they are
                      doing this. It must be a lot of work since most apps show a bold
                      character by adding additional width to the character.

                      DA