Re: [NTO] unreal font viewer

  • Bob Pigors
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2 8:25 AM
      Sorry Lotta,

      I thought you used NTP to program/develop web pages. In any event it
      appears that abSee seemed interesting to you. If it turns out to be
      useful please let me know.

      Mahalo - Bob Pigors, Kaneohe Hawaii (UTC -10)
    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2 12:21 PM
        Hello Bob,

        >I thought you used NTP to program/develop web pages. In any event it
        >appears that abSee seemed interesting to you.

        Seems like the mistake was mine. I thought some earlier post had mentioned
        abSee.

        In HTML land you are basically limited to the fonts available on the user's
        system. That may vary, so the only fonts that are safe to use are the very
        common ones like Courier New, Arial and a few more. I've noticed that the
        fonts shipped with MS seems to vary depending on where in the world you
        live, which limits the choice even more.

        To use an unusual font for short "snips" like a link or some other short
        text one can always use the preferred font in a graphic editor and create
        an image of the text. Then a font viewer can come in handy so you don't
        have to keep all fonts on your machine installed.

        Hope I got it right this time :-)
        Lotta
      • Bob Pigors
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2 3:34 PM
          Lotta,

          You got it right. Thanks for the enlightenment. - Bob

          > >I thought you used NTP to program/develop web pages. In any event it
          > >appears that abSee seemed interesting to you.
          >
          > Seems like the mistake was mine. I thought some earlier post had
          mentioned
          > abSee.
          >
          > In HTML land you are basically limited to the fonts available on the
          user's
          > system. That may vary, so the only fonts that are safe to use are the
          very
          > common ones like Courier New, Arial and a few more. I've noticed that
          the
          > fonts shipped with MS seems to vary depending on where in the world
          you
          > live, which limits the choice even more.
          >
          > To use an unusual font for short "snips" like a link or some other
          short
          > text one can always use the preferred font in a graphic editor and
          create
          > an image of the text. Then a font viewer can come in handy so you
          don't
          > have to keep all fonts on your machine installed.
          >
          > Hope I got it right this time :-)
          > Lotta
        • Marco Bernardini
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2 3:52 PM

            Alle 21.21 Friday 02/02/2001 +0100, Lotta ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

            >In HTML land you are basically limited to the fonts available on the user's
            >system. That may vary, so the only fonts that are safe to use are the very
            >common ones like Courier New, Arial and a few more.

            And don't forget Mac fonts: Helvetica for Arial and so on.
            This page is very interesting:
            http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-font-970721

            BTW, less font you install more fast run your Windows!
            Just put less used fonts into a separate folder and install them just when
            you need them.

            Bye!

            Marco Bernardini
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2 4:33 PM
              Hi Marco

              >BTW, less font you install more fast run your Windows! Just put
              >less used fonts into a separate folder and install them just when
              >you need them.

              I learned of that trick a long time ago. I wonder if programs
              will do with them like it does .dll files as far as if I put them
              in the folder of the programs I use them with then they will be
              seen?

            • Marco Bernardini
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 2 10:09 PM

                Alle 18.33 Friday 02/02/2001 -0600, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

                >I learned of that trick a long time ago. I wonder if programs
                >will do with them like it does .dll files as far as if I put them
                >in the folder of the programs I use them with then they will be
                >seen?

                "Usually" programs can see only installed fonts.
                But, in the same way font viewers are able to open a ttf file, I bet a
                program can use an uninstalled font...
                Must try, one of these days.

                Bye!

                Marco Bernardini
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 2 10:57 PM
                  Hi Marco

                  >"Usually" programs can see only installed fonts. But, in the same
                  >way font viewers are able to open a ttf file, I bet a program can
                  >use an uninstalled font... Must try, one of these days.

                  Yes, one of these days... ;) Say, when's the espresso beans
                  gonna get here? I got me a new espresso machine for Christmas! :-)

                  Happy Test'n,
                  Jody Adair

                  Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                • Lotta
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 27 12:11 AM
                    Hi Bob and others,

                    Lookie what I found at Microsoft's. A shell extension that adds some tabs
                    to the "Properties" window and gives you a lot if information about the
                    fonts you have on your computer. I don't understand half of it.
                    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/property/property.htm?fname=%20&fsize=

                    What fonts do you use with NTB? I'm a total font dummie and only have
                    Fixedsys, MSI Console Courier and Courier New. Console is too bulky so I'm
                    stuck with Courier New. It's too thin for me too see curly brackets and
                    stuff comfortably. I like the clean look of MS Sans Serif and of the serifs
                    I like for example Garamond. Know something similar but mono space?

                    Bye
                    Lotta
                  • J. Michael Mollohan
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 27 6:37 AM
                      > What fonts do you use with NTB? I'm a total font dummie and only have
                      > Fixedsys, MSI Console Courier and Courier New. Console is too bulky so I'm
                      > stuck with Courier New. It's too thin for me too see curly brackets and
                      > stuff comfortably. I like the clean look of MS Sans Serif and of the
                      serifs
                      > I like for example Garamond. Know something similar but mono space?

                      Lotta, try the Lucida Typewriter Sans. I've been using this monospaced font
                      since Windows 3.1 and haven't found anything I like better. It is pretty
                      much a corollary to MS Sans Serif in the proportional.

                      Michael
                    • DA
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 27 12:05 PM
                        Hi Lotta, Bob,

                        The shell extension looks interesting. I'm downloading it now.

                        I use Andale Mono instead of Lucida Typewriter Sans because the
                        difference between some of the letters is better. For example the
                        zero and the upper case 'O'. It is very similar to Lucida Typewriter
                        otherwise. It can be downloaded from Microsoft at:

                        http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm

                        I used to wonder why Microsoft would make such an ugly font as
                        Courier New. Now I think this is because it is the only mono spaced
                        font that takes up the same amount of horizontal space regardless of
                        whether it is bold or not. I think this is why it is such a "skinny"
                        font.

                        If anyone knows of some other mono spaced font that is the same width
                        regardless of whether or not it is bold, I would like to know about
                        it. Note that a few applications will force the bold fonts to the
                        same size as they are when not bold. I'd like to know how they are
                        doing this. It must be a lot of work since most apps show a bold
                        character by adding additional width to the character.

                        DA