Re: [NTO] unreal font viewer

  • Bob Pigors
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2001
      Lotta,

      I am not a programmer. Can you tell me what abSee would be used for?

      Bob Pigors, Kaneohe Hawaii (UTC -10)

      abSee100 v1.00 [82k] W9x/NT/2k FREE

      http://www.blueheronmoon.com/software/installs/abSee_In.exe
      http://www.blueheronmoon.com/software/abSee.htm
      http://screenshot.lockergnome.com/absee.png

      {Font viewer with perks} Another digital seer? Yeah, but this one is
      different. How much would you pay for a font viewer with a drag-
      and-drop interface that lets you change both the background and
      foreground colors (including Web-safe shades)? What if it could also
      view fonts that you haven't installed yet? But wait -- there's more!
      Saving the preview as a bitmap (BMP) image is a snap. I bet you'd also
      like a live link to more fonts on the Web, too. That's included, kids.
      Now how much would you pay? Yeah, I'd rather save the dime, too...
      that's why this is free. Better call Mr. Popeil -- I'm in trouble.
    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2001
        Hello Bob,

        >Lotta,
        >I am not a programmer. Can you tell me what abSee would be used for?

        Neither am I. There must be some mixup here. I have never heard of abSee.
        Must be someone else that have mentioned it. It seems nice thought, so I'm
        downloading it right now. Thanks!

        A font viewer is a tool that lets you view all the fonts that may be
        available on your computer to make it easier to choose which you want. Many
        of them only shows installed fonts, but abSee seems to handle not installed
        too. Meaning you can download fonts from the Internet and keep them in any
        folder, view them with a tool like this and install only when and if you
        want to. Something like that.

        Bye,

      • Bob Pigors
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
          Sorry Lotta,

          I thought you used NTP to program/develop web pages. In any event it
          appears that abSee seemed interesting to you. If it turns out to be
          useful please let me know.

          Mahalo - Bob Pigors, Kaneohe Hawaii (UTC -10)
        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
            Hello Bob,

            >I thought you used NTP to program/develop web pages. In any event it
            >appears that abSee seemed interesting to you.

            Seems like the mistake was mine. I thought some earlier post had mentioned
            abSee.

            In HTML land you are basically limited to the fonts available on the user's
            system. That may vary, so the only fonts that are safe to use are the very
            common ones like Courier New, Arial and a few more. I've noticed that the
            fonts shipped with MS seems to vary depending on where in the world you
            live, which limits the choice even more.

            To use an unusual font for short "snips" like a link or some other short
            text one can always use the preferred font in a graphic editor and create
            an image of the text. Then a font viewer can come in handy so you don't
            have to keep all fonts on your machine installed.

            Hope I got it right this time :-)
            Lotta
          • Bob Pigors
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
              Lotta,

              You got it right. Thanks for the enlightenment. - Bob

              > >I thought you used NTP to program/develop web pages. In any event it
              > >appears that abSee seemed interesting to you.
              >
              > Seems like the mistake was mine. I thought some earlier post had
              mentioned
              > abSee.
              >
              > In HTML land you are basically limited to the fonts available on the
              user's
              > system. That may vary, so the only fonts that are safe to use are the
              very
              > common ones like Courier New, Arial and a few more. I've noticed that
              the
              > fonts shipped with MS seems to vary depending on where in the world
              you
              > live, which limits the choice even more.
              >
              > To use an unusual font for short "snips" like a link or some other
              short
              > text one can always use the preferred font in a graphic editor and
              create
              > an image of the text. Then a font viewer can come in handy so you
              don't
              > have to keep all fonts on your machine installed.
              >
              > Hope I got it right this time :-)
              > Lotta
            • Marco Bernardini
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001

                Alle 21.21 Friday 02/02/2001 +0100, Lotta ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

                >In HTML land you are basically limited to the fonts available on the user's
                >system. That may vary, so the only fonts that are safe to use are the very
                >common ones like Courier New, Arial and a few more.

                And don't forget Mac fonts: Helvetica for Arial and so on.
                This page is very interesting:
                http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-font-970721

                BTW, less font you install more fast run your Windows!
                Just put less used fonts into a separate folder and install them just when
                you need them.

                Bye!

                Marco Bernardini
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
                  Hi Marco

                  >BTW, less font you install more fast run your Windows! Just put
                  >less used fonts into a separate folder and install them just when
                  >you need them.

                  I learned of that trick a long time ago. I wonder if programs
                  will do with them like it does .dll files as far as if I put them
                  in the folder of the programs I use them with then they will be
                  seen?

                • Marco Bernardini
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001

                    Alle 18.33 Friday 02/02/2001 -0600, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

                    >I learned of that trick a long time ago. I wonder if programs
                    >will do with them like it does .dll files as far as if I put them
                    >in the folder of the programs I use them with then they will be
                    >seen?

                    "Usually" programs can see only installed fonts.
                    But, in the same way font viewers are able to open a ttf file, I bet a
                    program can use an uninstalled font...
                    Must try, one of these days.

                    Bye!

                    Marco Bernardini
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
                      Hi Marco

                      >"Usually" programs can see only installed fonts. But, in the same
                      >way font viewers are able to open a ttf file, I bet a program can
                      >use an uninstalled font... Must try, one of these days.

                      Yes, one of these days... ;) Say, when's the espresso beans
                      gonna get here? I got me a new espresso machine for Christmas! :-)

                      Happy Test'n,
                      Jody Adair

                      Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                    • Lotta
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 27, 2001
                        Hi Bob and others,

                        Lookie what I found at Microsoft's. A shell extension that adds some tabs
                        to the "Properties" window and gives you a lot if information about the
                        fonts you have on your computer. I don't understand half of it.
                        http://www.microsoft.com/typography/property/property.htm?fname=%20&fsize=

                        What fonts do you use with NTB? I'm a total font dummie and only have
                        Fixedsys, MSI Console Courier and Courier New. Console is too bulky so I'm
                        stuck with Courier New. It's too thin for me too see curly brackets and
                        stuff comfortably. I like the clean look of MS Sans Serif and of the serifs
                        I like for example Garamond. Know something similar but mono space?

                        Bye
                        Lotta
                      • J. Michael Mollohan
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 27, 2001
                          > What fonts do you use with NTB? I'm a total font dummie and only have
                          > Fixedsys, MSI Console Courier and Courier New. Console is too bulky so I'm
                          > stuck with Courier New. It's too thin for me too see curly brackets and
                          > stuff comfortably. I like the clean look of MS Sans Serif and of the
                          serifs
                          > I like for example Garamond. Know something similar but mono space?

                          Lotta, try the Lucida Typewriter Sans. I've been using this monospaced font
                          since Windows 3.1 and haven't found anything I like better. It is pretty
                          much a corollary to MS Sans Serif in the proportional.

                          Michael
                        • DA
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 27, 2001
                            Hi Lotta, Bob,

                            The shell extension looks interesting. I'm downloading it now.

                            I use Andale Mono instead of Lucida Typewriter Sans because the
                            difference between some of the letters is better. For example the
                            zero and the upper case 'O'. It is very similar to Lucida Typewriter
                            otherwise. It can be downloaded from Microsoft at:

                            http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm

                            I used to wonder why Microsoft would make such an ugly font as
                            Courier New. Now I think this is because it is the only mono spaced
                            font that takes up the same amount of horizontal space regardless of
                            whether it is bold or not. I think this is why it is such a "skinny"
                            font.

                            If anyone knows of some other mono spaced font that is the same width
                            regardless of whether or not it is bold, I would like to know about
                            it. Note that a few applications will force the bold fonts to the
                            same size as they are when not bold. I'd like to know how they are
                            doing this. It must be a lot of work since most apps show a bold
                            character by adding additional width to the character.

                            DA