[NTO] THIS IS NOT A HOAX

  • Marco Bernardini
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23, 2000
      THIS IS NOT A HOAX.
      Hours ago I receive a message, in Spanish and English, with a Fix2001.exe
      attachment, telling

      > We will be glad if you verify your Operative System(s) before
      > Year 2000 to avoid problems with your Internet Connections.
      > If you are a Windows 95 / 98 user, you can check your system
      > using the Fix2001 application that is attached to this E-Mail
      > or downloading it from Microsoft (C) WEB Site:
      > HTTP://WWW.MICROSOFT.COM
      > If you are using another Operative System, please don't wait
      > until Year 2000, ask your OS Technical Support.

      The subject is "Internet problem year 2000."
      I read my mail with Eudora so I've no problems, but Out-Luck users must be
      more careful and disable any automatic launch of attachments.

      Bye!

      Marco Bernardini
      happy Eudora user
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 24, 2000
        Hi Marco

        Thanks Marco! My guess is you would have to open the attachment
        before it could do anything, but I am sure the day will come when
        they will be able to self-activate. The bottomline of the web
        page is:

        http://home.tvd.be/ws36178/troyan/W95.Fix2001.html

        The worm will delete C:\COMMAND.COM and replace the file with
        another program also named COMMAND.COM that is 137 bytes long.
        COMMAND.COM will be loaded next the computer starts up. It will
        destroy the hard disk data (overwrites it by using I/O port
        commands) whenever the hard disk is an IDE drive.

        > THIS IS NOT A HOAX.
        > Hours ago I receive a message, in Spanish and English, with a
        > Fix2001.exe attachment, telling
        >
        >> We will be glad if you verify your Operative System(s) before
        >> Year 2000 to avoid problems with your Internet Connections. If
        >> you are a Windows 95 / 98 user, you can check your system
        >> using the Fix2001 application that is attached to this E-Mail
        >> or downloading it from Microsoft (C) WEB Site:
        >> HTTP://WWW.MICROSOFT.COM If you are using another Operative
        >> System, please don't wait until Year 2000, ask your OS
        >> Technical Support.
        >
        > The subject is "Internet problem year 2000."
        > I read my mail with Eudora so I've no problems, but Out-Luck
        > users must be more careful and disable any automatic launch of
        > attachments.
        >
        > Bye!
        >
        > Marco Bernardini
        > happy Eudora user

        See ya in the funnies!
        Jody Adair

        Clean-Funnies
        mailto:CF@...?Subject=subscribe

        Proverbs 15:15
        you missed a good joke!
      • Marco Bernardini
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 24, 2000
          Alle 03.58 24/03/2000 -0600, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:
          >Thanks Marco! My guess is you would have to open the attachment
          >before it could do anything

          Of course I look into it with NoteTab :-))))

          Something more at
          http://vil.mcafee.com/vil/vpe10355.asp

          Have a nice hunting...

          Marco Bernardini