Re: [NTO] dip switches/IDE DRIVE CABLE CONNECTORS

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2001
      Scott,

      At 09:17 AM 1/28/01, you wrote:
      > To do this, put both drives on the same flat
      > IDE ribbon cable, with the C drive first in line
      > and D second. Set the jumpers on the drives to be
      > master and slave respectively; C master, D slave.
      > C is probably already set to be master, so the
      > only drive you need to change might be D. The
      > drives should be labeled so you can see how to
      > set the jumpers.

      FWIW, There is no dedicated connector for a "C" & "D" or "MASTER" and
      "SLAVE" drive on an IDE Controller. Addressing is accomplished with the
      "MASTER/SLAVE" jumpers. The only criteria for which drive goes to which
      connector, is which drive is on top and how the cable is routed. Simply
      changing the jumpers is all that is required to change the drive from a "C"
      to a "D" etc.

      The only drives that are connector sensitive are the "A" and "B" drives
      where the addressing is done via the cable connectors and there are no
      "MASTER/SLAVE" jumpers on floppy drives.

      Just thought I'd mention it.

      Regards,

      Jim
    • Scott Fordin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2001
        At 14:27 1/28/2001 -0800, you wrote:
        >FWIW, There is no dedicated connector for a "C" & "D" or "MASTER" and
        >"SLAVE" drive on an IDE Controller. Addressing is accomplished with the
        >"MASTER/SLAVE" jumpers. The only criteria for which drive goes to which
        >connector, is which drive is on top and how the cable is routed. Simply
        >changing the jumpers is all that is required to change the drive from a "C"
        >to a "D" etc.
        >
        >The only drives that are connector sensitive are the "A" and "B" drives
        >where the addressing is done via the cable connectors and there are no
        >"MASTER/SLAVE" jumpers on floppy drives.

        Jim,

        You're right in saying that there's no dedicated C, D, Master
        or Slave on an IDE controller itself. I'm sorry if I gave the
        impression that the jumpers for master/slave were anywhere but
        on the IDE drive itself.

        Regarding your second point about the order in which devices
        are connected to the IDE ribbon cable, I seem to recall having
        problems with this, particularly on several older machines. It
        could very well be that I'm having a senior moment though (I'll
        be 42 next month, so I'm officially a geezer now), and confusing
        floppy controller errors with hard drive errors. More telling is
        that I'm probably recalling errors I've had with pre-IDE drives.
        In any case, the habit of putting the first drive in line first
        is hard-wired in me now. You are correct though; I mean, on an
        IDE drive, the controller is built into the drive itself, so
        cable order shouldn't matter. Thanks for setting me straight.

        Regards,

        Scott
        "Computers always work in a consistent and predictable
        manner... except when they don't..."