More on WinME

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2001
      We get "PC World" in our office, and being a holiday, is a slow
      day.

      There is an article on WinME. It says that many products that work
      in both Win95 and Win98, will not work in WinME. Some of the
      products are MS intellimouse, but at least it is a free download.

      Other products are the Norton Antivirus 2000, Norton Internet
      Security 2000, and Norton systemWorks 2000. One must upgrade
      to the 2001 version for it to work on WinME, and it is not free!

      The article also indicated that even some new PCs with WinME pre-
      installed have had problems.

      They even showed how common the problems are, go to:

      search.support.microsoft.com/kb and do a search on the following
      text:

      "Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem"

      It brought up over 200 issues. The same search for Win98 only
      brought up 196. I have not had time to try the search, but may have
      the time later.

      The one thing that even the ones interviewed that did not like
      WinME, said that they did like the System Restore feature, to
      recover from a problem.

      Later this year (yeah, right!) the "merged" kernel of NT with the face
      of WinME, called Whistler, is supposed to come out. I guess it is
      really NT 6, but who knows what it will be called Windows 2001?
      an in order to upgrade from Win95, you have to format your drive, or
      it will not let you, since they want to make sure only newer
      hardware with the newest drivers are out there.

      I still have Win95a at home, and no problems with it (other than
      when the boys are playing their new games for birthdays and
      Christmas, and I have to fix yet another problem from overly
      enthusiastic clicking before the system is ready.). I heard that MS
      specs are that rebooting Win95 multiple times a day is allowed. So
      therefore I do not have a problem. I must have an exceptional
      system, I only end up booting once or twice a day.

      Ah well, back to cleaning off my desk.... MailBag made it easy to
      clean up my mailboxes, I need a similar version for my desk and
      for my boys to clean their room! <g>

      Larry Hamilton, Jr.
      lm_hamilton@...
      http://notlimah.tripod.com/
      http://www.hamiltongensociety.org/
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 16, 2001
        Hi Larry,

        >We get "PC World" in our office, and being a holiday, is a slow
        >day.

        >The article also indicated that even some new PCs with WinME pre-
        >installed have had problems.
        >
        >They even showed how common the problems are, go to:
        >
        >search.support.microsoft.com/kb and do a search on the following
        >text:
        >
        >"Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem"

        "Search Results Your search for Microsoft has confirmed this to be
        a problem found 200 matches. 1 through 25 are listed below."

        Although it certainly has some major problems and enough to keep
        me installing it just for testing purposes at this point in time,
        one cannot take all 200 very seriously. However, my little boy
        would get quite upset if his Tonka CDs quit working. LOL

        #79 "Q267034 - Pointer Remains Active on Bulldozer in Tonka Search
        and Rescue"

        A lot of the issues dealt with individual programs, hardware,
        etc. A number of the problems are in Win98SE. Same, same, MS
        keeps on producing without fixing. If they would slow down for a
        bit and fix what they have, they would have a better base to
        build off of. I gue$$ that is not that name of the game though
        unfortunately.

        Larry, if you have ME installed, check to see if your browsers
        are launching OK from NoteTab, what is your configuration of them
        as in main browser and other, if IE sp1 is installed, and are you
        using a wheel mouse.

        mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 16, 2001
          Jody,

          On 16 Jan 2001, at 2:40, Jody wrote:
          > #79 "Q267034 - Pointer Remains Active on Bulldozer in Tonka
          > and Rescue"

          That is serious, don't mess with the pre-k & Kindergarten set! ;-)

          > A lot of the issues dealt with individual programs, hardware,
          > etc. A number of the problems are in Win98SE. Same, same,
          MS
          > keeps on producing without fixing. If they would slow down for a
          > bit and fix what they have, they would have a better base to
          > build off of. I gue$$ that is not that name of the game though
          > unfortunately.

          I think if they really want to punich Microsoft, they ought to make
          them fix all the bugs so that you do not have to reboot all the time.
          Better yet, a dollar to everyone for everytime they had to reboot, I'm
          on my third time today at work (ka-ching!) ;-)

          > Larry, if you have ME installed, check to see if your browsers
          > are launching OK from NoteTab, what is your configuration of
          them
          > as in main browser and other, if IE sp1 is installed, and are you
          > using a wheel mouse.

          I am going to stay away from ME. they will not use it at work, and I
          am not going to install it only to have to pay enough to upgrad all
          my progams at home, it would be cheaper to buy a new PC with it
          pre-installed, and even that has problems.

          Oh, well!