Re: [NTO] Need a wee bit of help with Windows ME ...

  • Bill Scott
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 10, 2001
      Thanks Larry my wife bought me a new HP computer for xmas and it had windows ME on it .... is there anyway to get rid of it and install win2k pro without partitioning the disk ????

      Bill

    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 10, 2001
        Bill,

        Of that I do not know, sorry! :-(

        I have only seen WinME once over PCAnywhere, and since we do not support
        it, all I saw was that the color scheme is different.

        When you speak of partitioning, you could partition with one of the windows
        commercial partitioning tools *IF* it supports WinME. that would save you a
        format. That would give you a dual boot option. I am not sure, but Win2k
        pro may work to upgrade from WinME, and be similar to upgrading Win98 over
        Win95

        Larry

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 10, 2001
          Hi Bill,

          > ... is there anyway to get rid of it and install win2k pro
          > without partitioning the disk ????

          Come up in DOS and at the prompt type in:

          format c:

          or whatever drive you have it on.

          If you have a number of programs installed that do not use the
          registry you might get away with:

          del c:\*.*
          deltree c:\windows\*.* y

          See deltree. I think the above is correct the "y" meaning it is
          OK to proceed. You might have to do it from a floppy as well.

          Thanks for the Linux and collie info.

          mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
        • ceh
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 10, 2001
            Bill Scott wrote:

            > anyone been down the windows ME road yet to install network and internet
            sharing .... Before I jumped in I thought I would ask ..... *||:^)

            Unfortunately, yes. I had to network two computers for a customer that had
            ME on them, and I swore then and there that I'd never install that piece of
            junk on any computer of mine. It's far harder than in 98, 95 or NT and it
            still didn't act quite right when I was done, so I hesitate to try to give
            you any tips. My suggestion would be to fdisk it and put win 98 on it. :)
            About the only tip I have is that you HAVE to use their silly "wizards" to
            set things up. If you just go in and set things up manually, like I'm used
            to doing, it acts as if it has no clue what you're talking about and refuses
            to work. When, out of desperation, I broke down and ran the networking
            wizard and entered exactly the same data as before, it seemed to work
            semi-okay.

            Emmett Hawkins
          • Bill Scott
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 10, 2001
              Rush:

              ME was easy to configure and
              worked perfectly for me the first time.

              Bill:

              O.k. .... whats the trick ... *||:^)

            • Rush Family
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 11, 2001
                There is no supported upgrade path from WinME to Win2K, strangely enough,
                even though there is from Win98 or Win95 or WinNT4 to Win2K. So you have to
                install Win2K on a separate partion or else overwrite your WinME
                installation. Partition Magic 6.0 supports FAT, FAT32 and NTFS partitions
                and so will handle whatever you choose to do. If you are content to
                overwrite your WinME, not install alongside it, then you can chose that
                option early in the Win2K installation and you do not need any third party
                utility.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 11, 2001
                  I have a home network of 3 computers, 2 Win2K Pro and 1 WinME and I had no
                  problem with internet connection sharing. It was easy to configure and
                  worked perfectly for me the first time, but maybe that's becuase I work at
                  Microsoft. :) Ultimately I did however disable Internet connection
                  sharing and use a Router with a fixed IP address instead because I have
                  beter control over security matters that way.