Italics Printer Codes [WAS: What is NoteTab for?]

  • Clueless in Seattle
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2001
      Whoa! Jody! Even though that clip was incomprehensible to me my
      intution tells me you have come up with something very much like what I
      was looking for! I knew Santa didn't really miss my chimney this year.

      Now tell me if this is what you are looking for; there is a chart in my
      Panasonic KX-P1123 printer manual for Epson LQ-850 printer codes. The
      one for italics looks like this:

      Name: Set: ESC "4" Release: ESC "5"
      Dec: 27 52 27 53
      Hex: 1B 34 1B 35

      Each time WordStar encountered a ^Y it toggled between the two printer
      codes.

      Can we teach NTP to do that?

      Or better yet, can we teach ME how to teach NTP to do that?

      Maybe it's time for me to finally sign up for the Clips Class list.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
        Hi Clueless in Seattle,

        I haven't forgot you, but got tied up with some other things. I
        said that he could not do the ^N for you because it would
        interfere with Ctrl+N which is used to open new documents. We
        had some posts by users of the WordStar feature complaining of
        the changed features before saying to please stay away from the
        Windows common keys.

        >Whoa! Jody! Even though that clip was incomprehensible to me my
        >intution tells me you have come up with something very much like
        >what I was looking for! I knew Santa didn't really miss my
        >chimney this year.
        >
        >Now tell me if this is what you are looking for; there is a chart
        >in my Panasonic KX-P1123 printer manual for Epson LQ-850 printer
        >codes. The one for italics looks like this:
        >
        >Name: Set: ESC "4" Release: ESC "5"
        >Dec: 27 52 27 53
        >Hex: 1B 34 1B 35

        mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
      • Clueless in Seattle
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 10, 2001
          Jody wrote:

          > I haven't forgot you, but got tied up with some other things. I
          > said that he could not do the ^N for you because it would
          > interfere with Ctrl+N which is used to open new documents. We
          > had some posts by users of the WordStar feature complaining of
          > the changed features before saying to please stay away from the
          > Windows common keys.

          Conflicts between the WS commmand set and the Windows command set are
          inevitable. I'm not sure there is any way around it because both
          command sets use the Control key with alphabetic characters. If you
          eliminated all the WS commands which conflicted with Windows commands,
          you wouldn't have much left in your WS command set would you?

          I think a user has to make a choice to use one set or the other. At
          least until we get that promised version of NoteTab which will have the
          fully user configurable command interface.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 10, 2001
            Hi Clueless in Seattle,

            >Conflicts between the WS commmand set and the Windows command set
            >are inevitable. I'm not sure there is any way around it because
            >both command sets use the Control key with alphabetic characters.
            >If you eliminated all the WS commands which conflicted with
            >Windows commands, you wouldn't have much left in your WS command
            >set would you?
            >
            >I think a user has to make a choice to use one set or the other.
            >At least until we get that promised version of NoteTab which will
            >have the fully user configurable command interface.

            Eric is the programmer. He "has to" do what satisfies the
            majority of our users. He could not get the majority mad to
            satisfy a few. It would not be fair to them, or to himself and
            me with the support mail and unsatisfied customers.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 19, 2001
              Jody wrote:

              > Eric is the programmer. He "has to" do what satisfies the
              > majority of our users. He could not get the majority mad to
              > satisfy a few. It would not be fair to them, or to himself and
              > me with the support mail and unsatisfied customers.

              I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing here.

              How could the WS Command set option "get the majority mad?" The WS
              option is already part of NTP and has been for quite some time. I
              wasn't aware that anyone was mad about that. Have you really gotten a
              lot of angry mail about NTP having the option for the user to choose the
              WS command set?

              The WS command set is an option; something you have to go out of your
              way to intentionally install. No one is being forced to use it. I would
              wager that most NTP users aren't even aware that it's there. How could
              anyone get mad about that?

              Am I missing something here? What is there for anyone to get mad
              about? It seems to me that having a choice between keyboard command
              sets could only make more users happier.

              What am I missing here? I seem to have completely lost the thread of
              this discussion.

              Please tell me why people are getting mad and what they are getting mad
              about.

              I hope they aren't getting mad at me for asking for the WS command set.
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 19, 2001
                Hi Clueless in Seattle,

                >> Eric is the programmer. He "has to" do what satisfies the
                >> majority of our users. He could not get the majority mad to
                >> satisfy a few. It would not be fair to them, or to himself and
                >> me with the support mail and unsatisfied customers.
                >
                >I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing here.
                >
                >How could the WS Command set option "get the majority mad?" The
                >WS option is already part of NTP and has been for quite some
                >time. I wasn't aware that anyone was mad about that. Have you
                >really gotten a lot of angry mail about NTP having the option for
                >the user to choose the WS command set?

                The majority of WordStar users. The bottom line is, Eric is not
                going to do any more work to WordStar settings in version 4 of
                NoteTab Pro. He will be using a much better WordStar 3rd party
                product for version 5.

                >Am I missing something here? What is there for anyone to get mad
                >about? It seems to me that having a choice between keyboard
                >command sets could only make more users happier.

                I can only say that many users do not want common Windows
                shortcuts changed and that Eric will not spend anymore time on
                it. He has to get on with version 5.

                >I hope they aren't getting mad at me for asking for the WS
                >command set.

                No, these are support issues when people write us at NoteTab.

                mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...