WS ^N "Insert Line" Command [WAS: What is NoteTab for?]

  • Clueless in Seattle
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2001
      Clueless lamented:

      > > I overlooked what is
      > > probably the most useful of all WordStar commands, Ctrl-N, for
      > > inserting a blank line in the text.

      Jody wondered:

      > What am I missing here? Why can't you press the return/enter key?

      The WordStar ^N command was just like hitting the enter key EXCEPT your
      cursor stayed where it was, so it ended up at the beginning of the blank
      line, ready for you to start typing.

      When you use the Enter key, it moves the cursor down one line, and you
      then have to move the cursor back up to the blank line.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2001
        Hi Clueless in Seattle,

        OK, thanks for letting me know. I guess I am such of a habit of
        only using the enter key when I want a return that I don't do it
        until I want it. <bg> I did not know the cursor was left where
        it is with ^N in WordStar. Who knows, perhaps you will get your
        wish in 4.84. Thanks! -jody

        >> What am I missing here? Why can't you press the return/enter
        >> key?
        >
        >The WordStar ^N command was just like hitting the enter key
        >EXCEPT your cursor stayed where it was, so it ended up at the
        >beginning of the blank line, ready for you to start typing.
        >
        >When you use the Enter key, it moves the cursor down one line,
        >and you then have to move the cursor back up to the blank line.
      • Harvey R. Savage
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2001
          Jody wrote:

          > Hi Clueless in Seattle,
          >
          > >The WordStar ^N command was just like hitting the enter key
          > >EXCEPT your cursor stayed where it was, so it ended up at the
          > >beginning of the blank line, ready for you to start typing.
          > >
          > >When you use the Enter key, it moves the cursor down one line,
          > >and you then have to move the cursor back up to the blank line.

          Hi Jody, ClueLess,

          As a past user of VDE and a former 'DOS' keyboard user I agree
          Ctrl N was useful. Although we may get all the bells and
          whistles from the wish list in NoteTab 5.x until then I have good
          news for ClueLess.

          I have used VDE extensively in the past and still have it on my
          other (old) computer. VDE is still available, the newest version
          I was able to track down is VDE-192c. This latest version is
          supposed to be a little more windows friendly than before.

          According to the accompanying doc file it supports multiple open
          files. I haven't tried this yet but I will. That should make it
          more useful for ClueLess to work on in a DOS box. One thing I
          did try was 'drag and drop' a file from the file manager to a VDE
          icon on the Desktop and it loaded into VDE, just as expected.

          So, I guess the point of this msg is, if ClueLess feels more
          comfortable with Wordstar compatibility, at least for now, he
          should use what makes him comfortable. Here are several links to
          use for VDE and a few other support utilities.

          httpp://short.stop.home.att.net/vde.zip

          ftp://members.aol.com/billw50/vde

          http://www.punky.com/vde

          ftp://members.aol.com/billw50/vde

          http://members.aol.com/wolffsoft/vde.htm

          hrs
        • hsavage@shawneelink.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2001
            Hi Clueless in Seattle,

            http://short.stop.home.att.net/vde.zip

            ftp://members.aol.com/billw50/vde

            http://www.punky.com/vde

            ftp://members.aol.com/billw50/vde

            http://members.aol.com/wolffsoft/vde.htm

            Here's a list with the first link corrected.

            hrs