OFF TOPIC .... Outlook express ...?

  • Bill Scott
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2001
      Hi all :
      I have note tab clip that I want to use .... but I need to select all of the email messages in outlook express and save them to a text file ... when I select all the messages in a certain folder .... the save as option .... is greyed out does any one know how to save all of the email messages from an outlook express folder ... into a file.txt file ....

      Bill

    • Bill Scott
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2001
        thanks Larry: ...
        I use to own Mailbag ... but I do not have it ...it went with my old software ... arrrg ... disk drive ...
        Bill

      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2001
          Bill,

          OE and Outlook are limited in not being able to do some "simple" things. If
          I wanted a text file of all the messages in an Outlook folder, I would
          personally forget Outlook and open them in MailBag and then save as text,
          otl, etc.

          Individual OE messages can be saved with an .eml extension. They are
          basically text files, and can easily be opened in 'Tab. If you create a
          text file and save it as .eml and then try to open by double-clicking the
          file, it will open in OE, if it has all the correct fields.

          HTH,

          At 07:40 PM 01/01/2001 -0800, you wrote:
          >Hi all :
          >I have note tab clip that I want to use .... but I need to select all of
          >the email messages in outlook express and save them to a text file ...
          >when I select all the messages in a certain folder .... the save as option
          >.... is greyed out does any one know how to save all of the email messages
          >from an outlook express folder ... into a file.txt file ....
          >
          >Bill

          Lawrence M. (Larry) Hamilton, Jr.
          Webmaster Hamilton National Genealogical Society, Inc.
          webmaster@...
          http://www.hamiltongensociety.org/
        • alice ttlg
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2001
            > Individual OE messages can be saved with an .eml extension. They are
            > basically text files, and can easily be opened in 'Tab. If you create a
            > text file and save it as .eml and then try to open by double-clicking the
            > file, it will open in OE, if it has all the correct fields.
            >
            > HTH,
            > Lawrence M. (Larry) Hamilton, Jr.

            Individual OE messages can also be saved with a .txt extension (if they are
            plain text messages) or a .htm extension (if they're html or rich text).
            The default extension when saving is .eml, simply click on the drop down
            menu and select a different extension.

            Multiple messages can be batch-saved to a folder as .eml as long as they all
            have unique subject lines (as this is the resulting file name) by
            highlighting a group of messages in a folder, right-clicking and selecting
            "Forward as Attachment", then after the blank email opens with all the
            messages attached, click on File, Save Attachments and use the Browse button
            to select the folder you want to save them to.

            Or you can open Windows Explorer, go to the folder you want to save the
            messages to, then in OE, highlight and drag the messages to the folder in
            the Explorer window. Again, all messages must have a unique subject line
            and they'll automatically have the .eml extension.

            alice ttlg

            http://www.alicettlg.com/
            The Internet is full, GO AWAY
          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2001
              Bill,

              If you are a registered owner of Mailbag, Jody can help you get up and
              running again. You just need to work with him off list.

              Larry

              At 07:55 PM 01/01/2001 -0800, you wrote:
              >thanks Larry: ...
              >I use to own Mailbag ... but I do not have it ...it went with my old
              >software ... arrrg ... disk drive ...
              >Bill
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1, 2001
                Mailbag simplifies this. You can save one or all, in a variety of formats.

                To work with OE, by itself, each message needs a unique subject. This would
                be a lot of work, if multiple messages had the same subject. I would not
                enjoy such a task without MailBag.

                Larry