Re: [NTO] Re: [NTB] What is NoteTab for?

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
      Hi Clueless in Seattle,

      >I wouldn't need to display actual italics on the screen. Just
      >some way to mark which text needs to be italicized. Underlining
      >would do (that's how I used to do it on my typewriter). Or
      >highlighting or a different color type face. Anything to set the
      >italicized text off from the rest of the text. For that matter
      >it wouldn't even have to display differently. Back in my
      >WordStar days, it just displayed a ^Y character (I think that's
      >what it was) at the beginning and end of each string of
      >italicized text. And that told the printer to italicize the
      >string.

      Well, then, the HTML solution I provided is the easiest for you,
      perhaps, and I or somebody could build you a small simple Library
      for it to get started with. Once you learned the code, you could
      manually type it like many people do.

      But hey, you want ^Y, then you can have it, if you get me the
      printer control codes for bold, italic, underline, and some
      colors for your printer. Most all, if not all, at least home use
      type HPs will use the same code. I do not expect you to
      understand the following, but it would be the approach I would
      take if I were to build a script to do it.

      ^!DirectPrint "Title" Data
      Prints text directly to the printer, bypassing NoteTab's print
      procedure. Uses default printer settings. Title is the text shown
      in the Print manager and Data is the text to send directly to the
      printer. Data can contain printer control codes.

      Eric posted this Clip which does italics on his and my HP. One
      would just need to replace your characters first with the correct
      printer control codes.

      ^!Set %Esc%=^$DecToChar(27)$
      ^!Set %Landscape%=^%Esc%&l1O; %Italic%=^%Esc%(s1S; %Normal%=^%Esc%(s0S
      ^!DirectPrint "Testing..." ^%Landscape%Hello ^%Italic%sunny^%Normal%
      World^%PAGE%

      ---

      The italic code would be the control character "¬" (ESC) plus "(s1S"

      Dec Hex Oct Binary Chr % HTML Name
      27 1B 33 00011011 ¬ · · ESC - Escape

      However, it would be much easier for you to use your ^Y and even
      more so Y^ for the stop and convert it to HTML and print from
      your browser. :) But why not ^i?i^ <g>

      mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
    • Charles Cairns
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
        Clueless in Seattle wrote in part:

        > At least one of the respondents mentioned that that is the job of
        > editors. But I don't write for publication, just for my own amusement, and
        > so I don't have an editor who will go through my text and find every string
        > that needs to be italicized. That's a job I'd like to turn over to my
        > computer.

        At least one of the respondents was wrong. This is the job of a writer, not
        an editor, nor a copy editor nor a proofer.

        --csc
        (an editor)
      • Bill Scott
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
          How about a language interpreter from male left brain to female right brain .... I have the same problem Margie gets something exactly opposite from what I said ... hmmmm is this an epifany ...

          Bill