Re: [NTO] Re: [NTB] What is NoteTab for?

  • Carl Swann
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
      Larry Hamilton wrote:

      > My wife earns herself lots of frustration using Word, because she wants to
      > format it as she goes, and cannot get it the way she wants it, then I have
      > to fix it. (For some reason, I cannot say the words that there is an easier
      > way, without her hearing some value judgement about her. But that's WAAAAY
      > off topic!)

      If Eric can program a clip or routine that will placate/pacify
      spouses, he will be able to retire tomorrow! ... <VBG> from a very
      happily married guy!

      oOOo-(_)-oOOo
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
        Hi Clueless in Seattle,

        > I still regret that because I got in at the last minute, and
        > hurriedly compiled my list for Eric, I overlooked what is
        > probably the most useful of all WordStar commands, Ctrl-N, for
        > inserting a blank line in the text.

        What am I missing here? Why can't you press the return/enter key?

        mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
          Hi Clueless in Seattle,

          >I wouldn't need to display actual italics on the screen. Just
          >some way to mark which text needs to be italicized. Underlining
          >would do (that's how I used to do it on my typewriter). Or
          >highlighting or a different color type face. Anything to set the
          >italicized text off from the rest of the text. For that matter
          >it wouldn't even have to display differently. Back in my
          >WordStar days, it just displayed a ^Y character (I think that's
          >what it was) at the beginning and end of each string of
          >italicized text. And that told the printer to italicize the
          >string.

          Well, then, the HTML solution I provided is the easiest for you,
          perhaps, and I or somebody could build you a small simple Library
          for it to get started with. Once you learned the code, you could
          manually type it like many people do.

          But hey, you want ^Y, then you can have it, if you get me the
          printer control codes for bold, italic, underline, and some
          colors for your printer. Most all, if not all, at least home use
          type HPs will use the same code. I do not expect you to
          understand the following, but it would be the approach I would
          take if I were to build a script to do it.

          ^!DirectPrint "Title" Data
          Prints text directly to the printer, bypassing NoteTab's print
          procedure. Uses default printer settings. Title is the text shown
          in the Print manager and Data is the text to send directly to the
          printer. Data can contain printer control codes.

          Eric posted this Clip which does italics on his and my HP. One
          would just need to replace your characters first with the correct
          printer control codes.

          ^!Set %Esc%=^$DecToChar(27)$
          ^!Set %Landscape%=^%Esc%&l1O; %Italic%=^%Esc%(s1S; %Normal%=^%Esc%(s0S
          ^!DirectPrint "Testing..." ^%Landscape%Hello ^%Italic%sunny^%Normal%
          World^%PAGE%

          ---

          The italic code would be the control character "¬" (ESC) plus "(s1S"

          Dec Hex Oct Binary Chr % HTML Name
          27 1B 33 00011011 ¬ · · ESC - Escape

          However, it would be much easier for you to use your ^Y and even
          more so Y^ for the stop and convert it to HTML and print from
          your browser. :) But why not ^i?i^ <g>

          mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
        • Charles Cairns
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
            Clueless in Seattle wrote in part:

            > At least one of the respondents mentioned that that is the job of
            > editors. But I don't write for publication, just for my own amusement, and
            > so I don't have an editor who will go through my text and find every string
            > that needs to be italicized. That's a job I'd like to turn over to my
            > computer.

            At least one of the respondents was wrong. This is the job of a writer, not
            an editor, nor a copy editor nor a proofer.

            --csc
            (an editor)
          • Bill Scott
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
              How about a language interpreter from male left brain to female right brain .... I have the same problem Margie gets something exactly opposite from what I said ... hmmmm is this an epifany ...

              Bill