Re: [NTO] Re: [NTB] What is NoteTab for?

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
      As I was reading this thread, I remembered back to my use of WordStar 3 (I
      think, I still have a copy on 5-1/4" floppy, but do not have a drive for
      it.), back in college in the mid-80's. It is basically a text editor with
      commands like ^Y, or whatever, wrapped around the desired text. We also had
      some funky editor on the mainframe that was a major pain to use. Anyway,
      the way WordStar wrapped commands around desired text, made it easy for me
      to make sense of HTML. Currently, NoteTab only allows such "command
      wrappers" in HTML documents, which are just plain text files, but the
      HTML/HTM extension tells the browser that it needs to interpret the
      document as a web page. In WordStar the "command wrappers" told the printer
      how to print the document. If you look at a WordStar file, it looks much
      like an HTML file, but with ^ instead of <>.

      As Paul Harder wrote, unless Eric adds a method of adding such printer
      control, and/or display control, NoteTab will not do what you ask. One
      option I have seen on the list is to save it as an HTML document then open
      it in your browser and print it. That would save having to copy it to Word
      and then format and print it.

      If all you want is underlining, Eric has a clip in the Utilities library
      that comes with NoteTab, called underline. Basically it puts an overline on
      the line below the text. I use it often, when I need an underline, but do
      not need any fancy formatting. I also use it in web pages to have an
      underline in text with <pre></pre> tags so that I can keep space or tab
      delimited text lined up without any fancy tables, that slow down the

      My wife earns herself lots of frustration using Word, because she wants to
      format it as she goes, and cannot get it the way she wants it, then I have
      to fix it. (For some reason, I cannot say the words that there is an easier
      way, without her hearing some value judgement about her. But that's WAAAAY
      off topic!)

      I think as has been pointed out, in its current state, NoteTab does not
      have the features you desire, for the way you work with documents. For now,
      patience for the Gold version, or a change in procedures would get you
      closer to what you desire. (I started off working with "format as you go",
      and it is hard to unlearn. It affects the way I do web pages, if I get
      rushed. So I, and many others know how hard that way of working with
      documents is to unlearn.)

      At 10:22 AM 01/01/2001 -0800, you wrote:
      >I wouldn't need to display actual italics on the screen. Just some way
      >to mark which text needs to be italicized. Underlining would do (that's
      >how I used to do it on my typewriter). Or highlighting or a different
      >color type face. Anything to set the italicized text off from the rest
      >of the text. For that matter it wouldn't even have to display
      >differently. Back in my WordStar days, it just displayed a ^Y character
      >(I think that's what it was) at the beginning and end of each string of
      >italicized text. And that told the printer to italicize the string.

      Larry Hamilton, Jr.
      lm_hamilton@...
      http://notlimah.tripod.com/
      http://www.hamiltongensociety.org/
    • Carl Swann
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
        Larry Hamilton wrote:

        > My wife earns herself lots of frustration using Word, because she wants to
        > format it as she goes, and cannot get it the way she wants it, then I have
        > to fix it. (For some reason, I cannot say the words that there is an easier
        > way, without her hearing some value judgement about her. But that's WAAAAY
        > off topic!)

        If Eric can program a clip or routine that will placate/pacify
        spouses, he will be able to retire tomorrow! ... <VBG> from a very
        happily married guy!

        oOOo-(_)-oOOo
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
          Hi Clueless in Seattle,

          > I still regret that because I got in at the last minute, and
          > hurriedly compiled my list for Eric, I overlooked what is
          > probably the most useful of all WordStar commands, Ctrl-N, for
          > inserting a blank line in the text.

          What am I missing here? Why can't you press the return/enter key?

          mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
            Hi Clueless in Seattle,

            >I wouldn't need to display actual italics on the screen. Just
            >some way to mark which text needs to be italicized. Underlining
            >would do (that's how I used to do it on my typewriter). Or
            >highlighting or a different color type face. Anything to set the
            >italicized text off from the rest of the text. For that matter
            >it wouldn't even have to display differently. Back in my
            >WordStar days, it just displayed a ^Y character (I think that's
            >what it was) at the beginning and end of each string of
            >italicized text. And that told the printer to italicize the
            >string.

            Well, then, the HTML solution I provided is the easiest for you,
            perhaps, and I or somebody could build you a small simple Library
            for it to get started with. Once you learned the code, you could
            manually type it like many people do.

            But hey, you want ^Y, then you can have it, if you get me the
            printer control codes for bold, italic, underline, and some
            colors for your printer. Most all, if not all, at least home use
            type HPs will use the same code. I do not expect you to
            understand the following, but it would be the approach I would
            take if I were to build a script to do it.

            ^!DirectPrint "Title" Data
            Prints text directly to the printer, bypassing NoteTab's print
            procedure. Uses default printer settings. Title is the text shown
            in the Print manager and Data is the text to send directly to the
            printer. Data can contain printer control codes.

            Eric posted this Clip which does italics on his and my HP. One
            would just need to replace your characters first with the correct
            printer control codes.

            ^!Set %Esc%=^$DecToChar(27)$
            ^!Set %Landscape%=^%Esc%&l1O; %Italic%=^%Esc%(s1S; %Normal%=^%Esc%(s0S
            ^!DirectPrint "Testing..." ^%Landscape%Hello ^%Italic%sunny^%Normal%
            World^%PAGE%

            ---

            The italic code would be the control character "¬" (ESC) plus "(s1S"

            Dec Hex Oct Binary Chr % HTML Name
            27 1B 33 00011011 ¬ · · ESC - Escape

            However, it would be much easier for you to use your ^Y and even
            more so Y^ for the stop and convert it to HTML and print from
            your browser. :) But why not ^i?i^ <g>

            mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
          • Charles Cairns
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
              Clueless in Seattle wrote in part:

              > At least one of the respondents mentioned that that is the job of
              > editors. But I don't write for publication, just for my own amusement, and
              > so I don't have an editor who will go through my text and find every string
              > that needs to be italicized. That's a job I'd like to turn over to my
              > computer.

              At least one of the respondents was wrong. This is the job of a writer, not
              an editor, nor a copy editor nor a proofer.

              --csc
              (an editor)
            • Bill Scott
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
                How about a language interpreter from male left brain to female right brain .... I have the same problem Margie gets something exactly opposite from what I said ... hmmmm is this an epifany ...

                Bill