Re: [NTO] Re: [NTB] What is NoteTab for?

  • Carl Swann
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
      Clueless in Seattle wrote:

      > "Why not use a word processor" indeed! That very question was what
      > prompted my original post in this thread a few days ago.

      And so we come full circle... ;-)

      > Well, if you've read this far you deserve a medal for effort above and
      > beyond the call of duty.

      Just send it C.O.D.... ha!

      oOOo-(_)-oOOo
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
        As I was reading this thread, I remembered back to my use of WordStar 3 (I
        think, I still have a copy on 5-1/4" floppy, but do not have a drive for
        it.), back in college in the mid-80's. It is basically a text editor with
        commands like ^Y, or whatever, wrapped around the desired text. We also had
        some funky editor on the mainframe that was a major pain to use. Anyway,
        the way WordStar wrapped commands around desired text, made it easy for me
        to make sense of HTML. Currently, NoteTab only allows such "command
        wrappers" in HTML documents, which are just plain text files, but the
        HTML/HTM extension tells the browser that it needs to interpret the
        document as a web page. In WordStar the "command wrappers" told the printer
        how to print the document. If you look at a WordStar file, it looks much
        like an HTML file, but with ^ instead of <>.

        As Paul Harder wrote, unless Eric adds a method of adding such printer
        control, and/or display control, NoteTab will not do what you ask. One
        option I have seen on the list is to save it as an HTML document then open
        it in your browser and print it. That would save having to copy it to Word
        and then format and print it.

        If all you want is underlining, Eric has a clip in the Utilities library
        that comes with NoteTab, called underline. Basically it puts an overline on
        the line below the text. I use it often, when I need an underline, but do
        not need any fancy formatting. I also use it in web pages to have an
        underline in text with <pre></pre> tags so that I can keep space or tab
        delimited text lined up without any fancy tables, that slow down the

        My wife earns herself lots of frustration using Word, because she wants to
        format it as she goes, and cannot get it the way she wants it, then I have
        to fix it. (For some reason, I cannot say the words that there is an easier
        way, without her hearing some value judgement about her. But that's WAAAAY
        off topic!)

        I think as has been pointed out, in its current state, NoteTab does not
        have the features you desire, for the way you work with documents. For now,
        patience for the Gold version, or a change in procedures would get you
        closer to what you desire. (I started off working with "format as you go",
        and it is hard to unlearn. It affects the way I do web pages, if I get
        rushed. So I, and many others know how hard that way of working with
        documents is to unlearn.)

        At 10:22 AM 01/01/2001 -0800, you wrote:
        >I wouldn't need to display actual italics on the screen. Just some way
        >to mark which text needs to be italicized. Underlining would do (that's
        >how I used to do it on my typewriter). Or highlighting or a different
        >color type face. Anything to set the italicized text off from the rest
        >of the text. For that matter it wouldn't even have to display
        >differently. Back in my WordStar days, it just displayed a ^Y character
        >(I think that's what it was) at the beginning and end of each string of
        >italicized text. And that told the printer to italicize the string.

        Larry Hamilton, Jr.
        lm_hamilton@...
        http://notlimah.tripod.com/
        http://www.hamiltongensociety.org/
      • Carl Swann
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
          Larry Hamilton wrote:

          > My wife earns herself lots of frustration using Word, because she wants to
          > format it as she goes, and cannot get it the way she wants it, then I have
          > to fix it. (For some reason, I cannot say the words that there is an easier
          > way, without her hearing some value judgement about her. But that's WAAAAY
          > off topic!)

          If Eric can program a clip or routine that will placate/pacify
          spouses, he will be able to retire tomorrow! ... <VBG> from a very
          happily married guy!

          oOOo-(_)-oOOo
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
            Hi Clueless in Seattle,

            > I still regret that because I got in at the last minute, and
            > hurriedly compiled my list for Eric, I overlooked what is
            > probably the most useful of all WordStar commands, Ctrl-N, for
            > inserting a blank line in the text.

            What am I missing here? Why can't you press the return/enter key?

            mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
              Hi Clueless in Seattle,

              >I wouldn't need to display actual italics on the screen. Just
              >some way to mark which text needs to be italicized. Underlining
              >would do (that's how I used to do it on my typewriter). Or
              >highlighting or a different color type face. Anything to set the
              >italicized text off from the rest of the text. For that matter
              >it wouldn't even have to display differently. Back in my
              >WordStar days, it just displayed a ^Y character (I think that's
              >what it was) at the beginning and end of each string of
              >italicized text. And that told the printer to italicize the
              >string.

              Well, then, the HTML solution I provided is the easiest for you,
              perhaps, and I or somebody could build you a small simple Library
              for it to get started with. Once you learned the code, you could
              manually type it like many people do.

              But hey, you want ^Y, then you can have it, if you get me the
              printer control codes for bold, italic, underline, and some
              colors for your printer. Most all, if not all, at least home use
              type HPs will use the same code. I do not expect you to
              understand the following, but it would be the approach I would
              take if I were to build a script to do it.

              ^!DirectPrint "Title" Data
              Prints text directly to the printer, bypassing NoteTab's print
              procedure. Uses default printer settings. Title is the text shown
              in the Print manager and Data is the text to send directly to the
              printer. Data can contain printer control codes.

              Eric posted this Clip which does italics on his and my HP. One
              would just need to replace your characters first with the correct
              printer control codes.

              ^!Set %Esc%=^$DecToChar(27)$
              ^!Set %Landscape%=^%Esc%&l1O; %Italic%=^%Esc%(s1S; %Normal%=^%Esc%(s0S
              ^!DirectPrint "Testing..." ^%Landscape%Hello ^%Italic%sunny^%Normal%
              World^%PAGE%

              ---

              The italic code would be the control character "¬" (ESC) plus "(s1S"

              Dec Hex Oct Binary Chr % HTML Name
              27 1B 33 00011011 ¬ · · ESC - Escape

              However, it would be much easier for you to use your ^Y and even
              more so Y^ for the stop and convert it to HTML and print from
              your browser. :) But why not ^i?i^ <g>

              mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
            • Charles Cairns
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
                Clueless in Seattle wrote in part:

                > At least one of the respondents mentioned that that is the job of
                > editors. But I don't write for publication, just for my own amusement, and
                > so I don't have an editor who will go through my text and find every string
                > that needs to be italicized. That's a job I'd like to turn over to my
                > computer.

                At least one of the respondents was wrong. This is the job of a writer, not
                an editor, nor a copy editor nor a proofer.

                --csc
                (an editor)
              • Bill Scott
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
                  How about a language interpreter from male left brain to female right brain .... I have the same problem Margie gets something exactly opposite from what I said ... hmmmm is this an epifany ...

                  Bill