Re: [NTO] Re: [NTB] What is NoteTab for?

  • Clueless in Seattle
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
      "Dr. Paul Harder" wrote:

      > And now we know the rest of the story... It seems you have an affinity
      > for programmers named "Eric"!

      And, would I be correct to guess that you have an affinity for radio
      broadcasters named "Paul?" :)

      > It may not be
      > possible, in these display controls, to actually display italics. I
      > know it can display underlining (Eric uses that to underline URLs), but
      > I can't recall having seen it do boldfacing.

      I wouldn't need to display actual italics on the screen. Just some way
      to mark which text needs to be italicized. Underlining would do (that's
      how I used to do it on my typewriter). Or highlighting or a different
      color type face. Anything to set the italicized text off from the rest
      of the text. For that matter it wouldn't even have to display
      differently. Back in my WordStar days, it just displayed a ^Y character
      (I think that's what it was) at the beginning and end of each string of
      italicized text. And that told the printer to italicize the string.

      Most everyone who has who has responded to this question has said pretty
      the same thing: first type the text without any italics markers, then
      transfer the file to a word processor and then manually go through the
      text and look for text that needs to be italicized and manually
      italicize it using the word processor's commands.

      To me that seems like a tedious an unnecessary step. I mean, isn't one
      of the key concepts of computing the idea that computers were designed
      to do just such tedious and repetitive tasks for us? So couldn't there
      be some simple way to insert markers into my text as I type it and then
      have my computer go through the text, find those markers and convert the
      text between them markers into italics?

      At least one of the respondents mentioned that that is the job of
      editors. But I don't write for publication, just for my own amusement,
      and so I don't have an editor who will go through my text and find every
      string that needs to be italicized. That's a job I'd like to turn over
      to my computer.

      It just occurred to me that I could probably write a program in BASIC
      that would do just what I've described. But that would require that I
      run everything through a BASIC program.

      Maybe the HTML trick that one of the other respondents suggested might
      do the trick. I'm just coming off some meds that had me so whacked out
      I could barely sit up at my computer and read my messages. But I'm
      feeling a lot better today (second day without the drug) so I may have
      the stamina and concentration to give that a try.

      I'm grateful to all of you who are being so patient with me and
      apologize to those whose patience I sorely try. To the latter, all I
      can offer is a reminder that either the delete key or adding me to your
      twit file could save us both some grief.
    • Jody Adair
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
        Hello Dr. Paul,

        Eric said one time something to the effect that he would make a
        special edition of NoteTab that would read/write RTF. That
        will/would, solve the "problem." Version 5 will have some of the
        highlighting and bold capabilities, but I do not know if it will
        print like that. There will also be a very fast reader/editor
        probably something like the Linux VIM editor - I would guess much
        better - geared towards programmers. I believe that is next on
        the agenda, but things often change. We hoped 3-4 years ago that
        the Gold version would be released in a year. Need I say more? <bg>

        >In this light, your request for italics and such almost makes
        >sense. I'm not sure it's technically feasible though. You'd have
        >to check with Eric to be sure. I do know that he didn't write
        >the Windows programming control that displays text in any of his
        >editors. It may not be possible, in these display controls, to
        >actually display italics. I know it can display underlining
        >(Eric uses that to underline URLs), but I can't recall having
        >seen it do boldfacing.

        See ya in the funnies!

        See ya in the funnies!
        mailto:c-f@...?subject=subscribe
      • Carl Swann
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
          Clueless in Seattle wrote:

          > "Why not use a word processor" indeed! That very question was what
          > prompted my original post in this thread a few days ago.

          And so we come full circle... ;-)

          > Well, if you've read this far you deserve a medal for effort above and
          > beyond the call of duty.

          Just send it C.O.D.... ha!

          oOOo-(_)-oOOo
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
            As I was reading this thread, I remembered back to my use of WordStar 3 (I
            think, I still have a copy on 5-1/4" floppy, but do not have a drive for
            it.), back in college in the mid-80's. It is basically a text editor with
            commands like ^Y, or whatever, wrapped around the desired text. We also had
            some funky editor on the mainframe that was a major pain to use. Anyway,
            the way WordStar wrapped commands around desired text, made it easy for me
            to make sense of HTML. Currently, NoteTab only allows such "command
            wrappers" in HTML documents, which are just plain text files, but the
            HTML/HTM extension tells the browser that it needs to interpret the
            document as a web page. In WordStar the "command wrappers" told the printer
            how to print the document. If you look at a WordStar file, it looks much
            like an HTML file, but with ^ instead of <>.

            As Paul Harder wrote, unless Eric adds a method of adding such printer
            control, and/or display control, NoteTab will not do what you ask. One
            option I have seen on the list is to save it as an HTML document then open
            it in your browser and print it. That would save having to copy it to Word
            and then format and print it.

            If all you want is underlining, Eric has a clip in the Utilities library
            that comes with NoteTab, called underline. Basically it puts an overline on
            the line below the text. I use it often, when I need an underline, but do
            not need any fancy formatting. I also use it in web pages to have an
            underline in text with <pre></pre> tags so that I can keep space or tab
            delimited text lined up without any fancy tables, that slow down the

            My wife earns herself lots of frustration using Word, because she wants to
            format it as she goes, and cannot get it the way she wants it, then I have
            to fix it. (For some reason, I cannot say the words that there is an easier
            way, without her hearing some value judgement about her. But that's WAAAAY
            off topic!)

            I think as has been pointed out, in its current state, NoteTab does not
            have the features you desire, for the way you work with documents. For now,
            patience for the Gold version, or a change in procedures would get you
            closer to what you desire. (I started off working with "format as you go",
            and it is hard to unlearn. It affects the way I do web pages, if I get
            rushed. So I, and many others know how hard that way of working with
            documents is to unlearn.)

            At 10:22 AM 01/01/2001 -0800, you wrote:
            >I wouldn't need to display actual italics on the screen. Just some way
            >to mark which text needs to be italicized. Underlining would do (that's
            >how I used to do it on my typewriter). Or highlighting or a different
            >color type face. Anything to set the italicized text off from the rest
            >of the text. For that matter it wouldn't even have to display
            >differently. Back in my WordStar days, it just displayed a ^Y character
            >(I think that's what it was) at the beginning and end of each string of
            >italicized text. And that told the printer to italicize the string.

            Larry Hamilton, Jr.
            lm_hamilton@...
            http://notlimah.tripod.com/
            http://www.hamiltongensociety.org/
          • Carl Swann
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
              Larry Hamilton wrote:

              > My wife earns herself lots of frustration using Word, because she wants to
              > format it as she goes, and cannot get it the way she wants it, then I have
              > to fix it. (For some reason, I cannot say the words that there is an easier
              > way, without her hearing some value judgement about her. But that's WAAAAY
              > off topic!)

              If Eric can program a clip or routine that will placate/pacify
              spouses, he will be able to retire tomorrow! ... <VBG> from a very
              happily married guy!

              oOOo-(_)-oOOo
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
                Hi Clueless in Seattle,

                > I still regret that because I got in at the last minute, and
                > hurriedly compiled my list for Eric, I overlooked what is
                > probably the most useful of all WordStar commands, Ctrl-N, for
                > inserting a blank line in the text.

                What am I missing here? Why can't you press the return/enter key?

                mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
                  Hi Clueless in Seattle,

                  >I wouldn't need to display actual italics on the screen. Just
                  >some way to mark which text needs to be italicized. Underlining
                  >would do (that's how I used to do it on my typewriter). Or
                  >highlighting or a different color type face. Anything to set the
                  >italicized text off from the rest of the text. For that matter
                  >it wouldn't even have to display differently. Back in my
                  >WordStar days, it just displayed a ^Y character (I think that's
                  >what it was) at the beginning and end of each string of
                  >italicized text. And that told the printer to italicize the
                  >string.

                  Well, then, the HTML solution I provided is the easiest for you,
                  perhaps, and I or somebody could build you a small simple Library
                  for it to get started with. Once you learned the code, you could
                  manually type it like many people do.

                  But hey, you want ^Y, then you can have it, if you get me the
                  printer control codes for bold, italic, underline, and some
                  colors for your printer. Most all, if not all, at least home use
                  type HPs will use the same code. I do not expect you to
                  understand the following, but it would be the approach I would
                  take if I were to build a script to do it.

                  ^!DirectPrint "Title" Data
                  Prints text directly to the printer, bypassing NoteTab's print
                  procedure. Uses default printer settings. Title is the text shown
                  in the Print manager and Data is the text to send directly to the
                  printer. Data can contain printer control codes.

                  Eric posted this Clip which does italics on his and my HP. One
                  would just need to replace your characters first with the correct
                  printer control codes.

                  ^!Set %Esc%=^$DecToChar(27)$
                  ^!Set %Landscape%=^%Esc%&l1O; %Italic%=^%Esc%(s1S; %Normal%=^%Esc%(s0S
                  ^!DirectPrint "Testing..." ^%Landscape%Hello ^%Italic%sunny^%Normal%
                  World^%PAGE%

                  ---

                  The italic code would be the control character "¬" (ESC) plus "(s1S"

                  Dec Hex Oct Binary Chr % HTML Name
                  27 1B 33 00011011 ¬ · · ESC - Escape

                  However, it would be much easier for you to use your ^Y and even
                  more so Y^ for the stop and convert it to HTML and print from
                  your browser. :) But why not ^i?i^ <g>

                  mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
                • Charles Cairns
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
                    Clueless in Seattle wrote in part:

                    > At least one of the respondents mentioned that that is the job of
                    > editors. But I don't write for publication, just for my own amusement, and
                    > so I don't have an editor who will go through my text and find every string
                    > that needs to be italicized. That's a job I'd like to turn over to my
                    > computer.

                    At least one of the respondents was wrong. This is the job of a writer, not
                    an editor, nor a copy editor nor a proofer.

                    --csc
                    (an editor)
                  • Bill Scott
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
                      How about a language interpreter from male left brain to female right brain .... I have the same problem Margie gets something exactly opposite from what I said ... hmmmm is this an epifany ...

                      Bill