Re: [NTO] Linux: Lost Partition in Windows - Progress, but...

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31 5:50 PM
      Hi Marco,

      >Uh! I try...
      >You're making very complex things, in Perl!

      I do have PERL installed via whereis perl.
      It is working, perl that is, because it makes it to the second
      prompt before giving me my error message - why make a message
      when it is already seeing messages? :)

      >Linux has a directory called "/dev" (for "devices").
      >All Windows disks (HD, CD, floppy) are located in that directory,
      >but they must be "mounted" to be seen as a directory (and you can
      >also rename them). As you see, Linux can spawn between different
      >physical disks, so there is no need to name disks as in Windows.

      I think you missed the point. I cannot see my last drive in
      Windows. I think the fix for it is the script since the Linx-
      Mandrake install page problem says:

      use perl linux_extended_fix.pl on the command line as root

      No problem with the above - I have the patch for after the damage
      is done below.

      Error scenario:
      After installation, the second windows partition (drive D:) is no
      longer available

      When:
      During a non-expert installation, with a non-Linux first extended
      partition (ie. hda5), diskdrake changes the extended partition
      type to "linux extended" (ie. changes hda2 type to 0x85).

      Why:
      diskdrake tries to use a "linux extended" partition type instead
      of a normal "extended" or "windows extended" partion type when
      there are only linux extended partitions (which exist mainly to
      please Windows). However, it does not take into account the first
      extended partition on the drive.

      Solution:
      Use this patch to fix the problem during installation. If the
      damage has already been done, the other solution is to use this
      script which fixes the problem on a live system. To run the
      patch, use perl linux_extended_fix.pl on the command line as
      root.

      >Hope this helps a bit!

      I better get somebody that knows for sure. <bg> If you do, OK,
      but please, no: Try this, maybe it won't cause you to reformat.
      LOL BTW, VIM is pretty slick. :)

      mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...