Re: [NTO] Win 98 Problem ... I need to buy a small partitiondrivewithwin 98 on it ... been to ebay ... D

  • RS
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 28, 2000
      Hi Bill,

      At 01:53 AM 12/28/00 -0800, you wrote:
      >Hi RS:
      >Thanks ... I have both up now ... I don't exactly know why ?
      >I reseated all of the cables and found a loose conection .. oh well ...
      they don't make these little computers for big hands

      >*||:^)

      :)

      >I am now wondering what is causing the write protection error since I am
      only writing to the hard disk ... I do see allot of tmp files in the recyle
      bin and I have not done a clean up and also my notetab pro folder is in the
      trash and I did not do that ... and my program files folders are all
      missing on the old drive ...

      >change subject ...
      >
      >I am now running norton from my cdrom and it seems to be getting further
      ... anyway takes about an hour per drive so I guess I will do something
      else for awhile .... eeeeeee ha ...
      >what a country ...!

      Make sure you run Norton Disk Doctor in addition to the Antivirus. Sounds
      like your harddrive might be messed up.

      Regards,

      RS
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 28, 2000
        Hi Bill,

        >Thanks ... I have both up now ... I don't exactly know why ?
        >I reseated all of the cables and found a loose conection .. oh
        >well ... they don't make these little computers for big hands

        Hard to say what fixed the problem if you did them both at the
        same time. It is always best to do one thing at a time so you
        know what the fix was for future purposes. A partially connected
        cable could have caused what you were seeing depending on what
        pins were connected. If I plugged in one cable I have plugged in
        tens of thousands installing and troubleshooting the major long
        distance company's telephone switches, ie: MCI, US Sprint, etc.

        It is sometimes hard to know if things are hardware or software
        related. For me, hardware is what I go with first. A trick you
        can do when you have redundant hardware (two of the same backing
        up each other) or two similar hardware devices is "roll" or
        "frog" the cables. That means to take the end off each device
        and swap them. See which way the problem goes. That way you can
        determine if it is a hardware or software problem, or at least
        clear the two pieces of hardware.

        mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...