Re: [NTO] [NRN] Re: File|Open, File|Save

  • Harvey R. Savage
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 25, 2000
      Julie wrote:

      > Hi Jody,
      >
      > Pardon me if this has been asked, but do you know which, if any, of
      > these programs allow you to change the default sort order in the
      > File|Open, File|Save dialogues?
      >
      > Julie
      >
      > Jody wrote:
      >
      > > File-Ex 2.12d
      > > http://www.cottonwoodsw.com
      > >
      > > PowerDesk 4.x
      > > http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/pd4free.exe
      > >
      > > Lemmesee ??
      > > http://www.notetab.net/zip/lemmesee.zip

      Hi Julie,

      If you don't mind me answering I will. Lemmesee and pd4free's
      Dialog Helper will give you some control ovef sorting order if
      you select 'Details mode'. It's just like the sort control you
      have in Windows Explorer, click on the bar at the top of the
      column you want to sort by and it rearranges the order. My copy
      of 'File-Ex' has expired but I'm certain it will give the same
      type of sorting control.

      Lemmesee was discussed on these lists the other day and the
      consensus was that it's not to dependable with Win98. At least,
      that's what I gleaned from the different emails. I do know I
      didn't have very good luck with it.

      File-EX - $30.00

      Lemmesee - free, if you can find a place to download it. It is
      no longer supported by the author.

      Dialog Helper - free with a download of pd4free, I haven't had
      any trouble with it yet.

      hrs
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 25, 2000
        Hi Harvey and Julie,

        >> > File-Ex 2.12d
        >> > http://www.cottonwoodsw.com
        >> >
        >> > PowerDesk 4.x
        >> > http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/pd4free.exe
        >> >
        >> > Lemmesee ??
        >> > http://www.notetab.net/zip/lemmesee.zip

        >Lemmesee was discussed on these lists the other day and the
        >consensus was that it's not to dependable with Win98...I do know
        >I didn't have very good luck with it.

        I tried it again just now after shitting down file-Ex and it
        worked fine this time, so I guess it was my machine at the time.
        It does indeed have a setting to change the sort order and I
        suppose will stay like that until you change it although I did
        not check. What wasn't working for me was the Save dialog did
        not get its button to Save, but RS said it was working fine on
        his 98. He sent me the program a few years back when we were
        both on Win95.

        >File-EX - $30.00

        I was surprised that it only had the right click sort like in
        Windows Explorer. I have really never played with it. I use it
        (on startup), but once I set it up, I always run it hidden since
        I have been happy with the settings which are a lot more than
        LemmeSee.

        >Lemmesee - free, if you can find a place to download it. It is
        >no longer supported by the author.

        See above Harv. <g> Let me know if you ever find the author.

        mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
      • Julie
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 26, 2000
          Thanks Harvey and Jody,

          I'll check them out when I get a chance.

          The reason I ask, a friend of my husband's sat down at this computer and
          was playing around a few weeks ago. I've noticed since then all the files
          seem to be sorted by date in all those dialog boxes. While I sometimes do
          that myself, I prefer for the default sort to be alphabetical. I thought
          I'd try and figure out how to change it back myself before asking him <G>.
          I'm assuming there's a registry setting modified?

          Julie

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 26, 2000
            Hi Julie,

            >The reason I ask, a friend of my husband's sat down at this
            >computer and was playing around a few weeks ago. I've noticed
            >since then all the files seem to be sorted by date in all those
            >dialog boxes. While I sometimes do that myself, I prefer for the
            >default sort to be alphabetical. I thought I'd try and figure out
            >how to change it back myself before asking him <G>. I'm assuming
            >there's a registry setting modified?

            Just go to Windows Explorer, and right click over the mail file
            window. Choose Sort and then the method you want. Go to Folder
            Options (Win98SE (View | Folders in Win95) and click around in
            there till you see the setting to set all folders like the one
            you have. That is the way it is on Win98SE anyhow - I forget on
            Win95. (It may be under Custom Settings - don't have the time to
            look right now.)

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 27, 2000
              you wrote:

              >Just go to Windows Explorer, and right click over the mail file
              >window. Choose Sort and then the method you want. Go to Folder
              >Options (Win98SE (View | Folders in Win95) and click around in
              >there till you see the setting to set all folders like the one
              >you have. That is the way it is on Win98SE anyhow - I forget on
              >Win95. (It may be under Custom Settings - don't have the time to
              >look right now.)

              Welllllllll.... that works for the Explorer type windows, but the File|Open
              etc dialog windows are still in file *date* order!

              Thanks!
              Julie
            • Harvey R. Savage
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 27, 2000
                Julie wrote:

                > you wrote:
                >
                > >Just go to Windows Explorer, and right click over the mail file
                > >window. Choose Sort and then the method you want.

                > Welllllllll.... that works for the Explorer type windows, but the File|Open
                > etc dialog windows are still in file *date* order!
                >
                > Thanks!
                > Julie

                Hi Julie,

                Lemmessee has a setup feature whereby you can select the initial
                sort order. That may be what you're looking for, if it is a you
                don't have Lemmessee I can send you a zip of it.

                hrs
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 27, 2000
                  Hi Julie,

                  >> Just go to Windows Explorer, and right click over the mail file
                  >> window. Choose Sort and then the method you want.
                  >
                  >Welllllllll.... that works for the Explorer type windows, but the
                  >File|Open etc dialog windows are still in file *date* order!

                  Did you try the same thing in an Open dialog in a blank area? I'm
                  using File-Ex, but you can do it in that. Does it remember; I
                  know not? :) I do not know if it is a Win98SE thing or File-Ex
                  either.

                  mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 27, 2000
                    Hi Harvey,

                    >Lemmessee has a setup feature whereby you can select the initial
                    >sort order. That may be what you're looking for, if it is a you
                    >don't have Lemmessee I can send you a zip of it.

                    I'm being to think you have me filtered to trash. <g>

                    Jody wrote and now edited:

                    File-Ex 2.12d (Shareware)
                    http://www.cottonwoodsw.com

                    PowerDesk 4.x (Freeware, Shareware available)
                    http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/pd4free.exe

                    Lemmesee (Let me See! 1.1) ($5.00 Shareware, but can't find author;)

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 27, 2000
                      Harvey R. Savage wrote:

                      >Lemmessee has a setup feature whereby you can select the initial
                      >sort order. That may be what you're looking for, if it is a you
                      >don't have Lemmessee I can send you a zip of it.

                      Downloading it now!

                      Julie
                    • Julie
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 27, 2000
                        Jody wrote:

                        > >Welllllllll.... that works for the Explorer type windows, but the
                        > >File|Open etc dialog windows are still in file *date* order!
                        >
                        >Did you try the same thing in an Open dialog in a blank area? I'm
                        >using File-Ex, but you can do it in that. Does it remember; I
                        >know not? :) I do not know if it is a Win98SE thing or File-Ex
                        >either.

                        It doesn't seem to "remember" my settings... guess it has a mild case of
                        altzeimer's? Gonna try your lemmesee link and see what happens...

                        thanks!
                        Julie
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 27, 2000
                          Hi Julie,

                          >>Did you try the same thing in an Open dialog in a blank area? I'm
                          >>using File-Ex, but you can do it in that. Does it remember; I
                          >>know not? :) I do not know if it is a Win98SE thing or File-Ex
                          >>either.
                          >
                          >It doesn't seem to "remember" my settings... guess it has a mild case of
                          >altzeimer's? Gonna try your lemmesee link and see what happens...

                          I know it will, plus you can make your window size bigger. ;)

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 2, 2001
                            For anyone who remembers my sort order question while in File|Open,
                            File|Save dialog windows, Lemmesee only made a temporary change. I
                            finally asked in a Windows support forum and got the following URLs...

                            Contents of the Open and Save As Dialog Boxes Sorted Incorrectly
                            http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q233/5/26.asp

                            Items in "Open" and "Save As" Dialog Boxes Sorted Incorrectly
                            http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q229/0/70.asp

                            The first one doesn't require rebooting, but plays with the registry.
                            The second one was easier, but you needed to reboot the computer.

                            Thought I'd pass that on,
                            Julie

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 3, 2001
                              Hi Julie,

                              Do you think your brother or whoever it was did something like that
                              to you, or do you think it just happened? :) Maybe he knows a trick.

                              nite...

                              >For anyone who remembers my sort order question while in File|Open,
                              >File|Save dialog windows, Lemmesee only made a temporary change. I
                              >finally asked in a Windows support forum and got the following URLs...
                              >
                              >Contents of the Open and Save As Dialog Boxes Sorted Incorrectly
                              >http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q233/5/26.asp
                              >
                              >Items in "Open" and "Save As" Dialog Boxes Sorted Incorrectly
                              >http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q229/0/70.asp
                              >
                              >The first one doesn't require rebooting, but plays with the registry.
                              >The second one was easier, but you needed to reboot the computer.
                              >
                              >Thought I'd pass that on,
                              >Julie
                              >
                              >Jody wrote:
                              >> Hi Julie,

                              Bye for now,
                              Jody Adair
                              Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                              http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                              http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
                              http://www.notetab.net
                            • Julie
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 3, 2001
                                I noticed it after a friend of my husband's (who is pretty computer savvy)
                                was "playing around" with this computer. I sent him an email, but have yet
                                to hear back from him. I do wonder if it was a blunder or if he changed a
                                setting somewhere!

                                Julie