[NTO] Re: Rattling Floppy Drive

  • Erich Ruff
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 29, 2000
      Hello -

      the rattling may come from a setting in your system-bios.
      Usually the machine checks if a floppy exists and is therefore accessing the
      drive and 'rattling' it.
      You may change this if you follow my instructions.

      BE VERY CAREFUL - ALTER NOTHING you don't know - because it may result in an
      Computer which may not work anymore or behave strangely. !!!!!!

      If you boot your computer you can press 'del' or 'F2' or another key to
      enter setup. (The key is displayed very early at boot up on the left side in
      white letters on a black screen ).
      When you are in Setup (it is usually blue background with white letters) you
      can change to
      - Bios features setup
      then search the key
      - Bootup Floppy seek
      - - and set it to disabled
      press ESC to return to the main screen
      press F10 and accept changes and say yes to save
      (Big problem for non-americans: the keyboard defaults to American - so in
      Germany the needed yes to close this dialog is mapped to 'Y' !!!!)
      The system will restart again and the rattling will be over.

      Hope this helps

      Erich

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2000
        Hi Erich,

        > - Bios features setup
        >then search the key
        > - Bootup Floppy seek
        > - - and set it to disabled

        Not too long ago you would really have to remember you did that because if you had to reformat and load floppy disks and did not remember how to set the floppy back to being seeked you were in trouble. Might be today also if you need to load CD drivers in order to use your CD. Write yourself a real good explanation of *every step* you take and put in a safe place like a bank vault. <g>

        Bye for now,
        Jody Adair
        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

        http://www.sureword.com/sojourner