Subject: Re: [NTO] Win 98 Problem

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 17, 2000
      Hi Harvey,

      You wrote November 22, 2000 3:21 AM

      >If you really want to clean your registry I have learned, and
      >used many times, a highly recommended method...
      >
      > Backup the registry
      > Do a clean boot into DOS
      > At the c:\ prompt type
      >
      > scanreg/fix
      >
      > The program may take several minutes to complete
      > When complete type;
      >
      > scanreg/opt
      >
      > This will take several seconds
      > When finished reboot into Windows
      >
      >hrs
      >
      >P.S. I have done this on several computers, mine and others many
      >times, and have had no trouble.

      I used this method also and like it. When "scanreg /opt" runs there is no
      screen that appears like "scanreg /fix" letting you know what is happening.
      Just the hard disk light for several seconds and it is over.

      I ran "scanreg /?" at the prompt and also tried Windows 98 help but no info
      there, what does "scanreg /opt" do? Is it documented?

      Regards... Bill
    • Harvey R. Savage
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 17, 2000
        Bill wrote:

        > Hi Harvey,
        >

        > > Backup the registry
        > > Do a clean boot into DOS
        > > At the c:\ prompt type
        > >
        > > scanreg/fix
        > >
        > > When complete type;
        > >
        > > scanreg/opt
        > >
        > > This will take several seconds
        > > When finished reboot into Windows
        > >
        > >hrs
        >
        > I used this method also and like it. When "scanreg /opt" runs there is no
        > screen that appears like "scanreg /fix" letting you know what is happening.
        > Just the hard disk light for several seconds and it is over.
        >
        > I ran "scanreg /?" at the prompt and also tried Windows 98 help but no info
        > Is it documented?
        >
        > Regards... Bill

        Hey Bill,

        I'm sure that parameter is documented, I just can't tell you
        where. /opt is supposed to compress the registry. It is a
        database with holes after the /fix is run and the erroneous
        entries are deleted, I guess /opt is comparable to 'Defrag' for a
        hard disk. I will send you a html page via private email, since
        the list frowns on attachments, of my source. If I can discover
        the link I will send that also.

        hrs
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 17, 2000
          Hi Harvey

          >I'm sure that parameter is documented, I just can't tell you
          >where. /opt is supposed to compress the registry. It is a
          >database with holes after the /fix is run and the erroneous
          >entries are deleted, I guess /opt is comparable to 'Defrag' for a
          >hard disk. I will send you a html page via private email, since
          >the list frowns on attachments, of my source. If I can discover
          >the link I will send that also.

          Attachments are blocked unless they are text sent inline.
          However, if it is long; just a link to read it on the web is
          probably preferred by many of us. ;)

          mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...