Re: [NTO] Virus alert

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 5, 2000
      Bill,

      At 05:32 PM 12/5/00, you wrote:
      >Hi Jim,
      >
      >On December 4, 2000 8:31 PM you wrote:
      >
      > >BTW, FWIW
      > >
      > >Anyone who has received it should be sure to double check and insure that
      > >it gets deleted from their "ATTACHMENTS" folder.
      > >
      > >Just deleting the post doesn't necessarily mean that you got rid of it.

      Sorry Bill,

      Doesn't everyone use Eudora?? 8-)

      >Does OE5 have an "ATTACHMENTS" folder?

      Not that I am aware of.

      As far as I know, the Outlook and Outlook Express attachments stay with the
      Message.

      Eudora however does have a separate "Attachments" directory and one should
      double check it.

      If this helps even one person keep from having to go through Virus removal
      it was worth the confusion.

      Regards,

      Jim
    • Julie
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
        Jim Hall wrote:

        >Eudora however does have a separate "Attachments" directory and one should
        >double check it.

        Theoretically, there's an option in Eudora to delete attachments when you
        empty the trash. Attachments are deleted when their corresponding messages
        are deleted from the Trash (or the Trash is emptied). The attachment must
        be in the directory defined as the Attachments Directory. If you want to
        save an attachment but delete the message, move the attachment to another
        directory or leave this option off.

        That's from Help. It's always worked for me, but it pays to be careful and
        check the folder too!

        Julie
      • Marco Bernardini
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000

          Alle 21.39 Tuesday 05/12/2000 -0800, Jim Hall ha mandato a Marco questo
          messaggio:

          > Sorry Bill,
          >Doesn't everyone use Eudora?? 8-)

          And the war starts again...

          On a mailing list devoted to pastels there is a war between Conte' lovers
          and other brands lovers :-)

          Days ago I speak with a guy of our "old-good-times" when we was in the same
          school (1974-1978): he was in the right-wing area, while I was in the
          left-wing area (there was more better girls <g>).
          It was always a war (oh, just dialectic war!): they call us "Slaves of
          Russia!", while we call them "Fascists!". Then we go to the beach all
          together...
          Now, after a 1/4 of century of friendship, we agree the present youth is
          brainless: the current war is between Motorola users and Nokia users :-(

          Bye!

          Marco Bernardini
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
            Hi Julie,

            I wish Eudora had an option to delete signature cards as soon as they are downloaded, strip all HTML before the posts get into the mailbox, and strip all rich text format. ;)

            >Theoretically, there's an option in Eudora to delete attachments when you
            >empty the trash. Attachments are deleted when their corresponding messages
            >are deleted from the Trash (or the Trash is emptied). The attachment must
            >be in the directory defined as the Attachments Directory. If you want to
            >save an attachment but delete the message, move the attachment to another
            >directory or leave this option off.
            >
            >That's from Help. It's always worked for me, but it pays to be careful and
            >check the folder too!

            Bye for now,
            Jody Adair
            Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

            http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
            http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
            http://www.notetab.net
          • Julie
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
              Jody wrote:

              >I wish Eudora had an option to delete signature cards as soon as they are
              >downloaded, strip all HTML before the posts get into the mailbox, and
              >strip all rich text format. ;)

              Would be nice if they offered that option *along* with all the bells and
              whistles. The Outlook stationary stuff drives me nuts... people are
              embedding midis in those things now!

              Julie
            • ceh
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                Julie wrote:

                > Would be nice if they offered that option *along* with all the bells and
                > whistles. The Outlook stationary stuff drives me nuts... people are
                > embedding midis in those things now!

                Doh! I haven't seen that, background pictures are bad enough. All my email
                goes out in plain text, if I have a picture or something I want to show
                someone, I upload it to the web server and send them a link.

                I'm currently using Outlook 98 for email when I'm using Windows, but I'm
                thinking about trying something else. Does Eudora support IMAP? If so I
                might check it out.

                Emmett
              • Julie
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                  Emmett wrote:

                  >Does Eudora support IMAP?

                  In a word, yes :-). The Helpfile tells me so, at least.

                  Julie
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                    Hi Julie,

                    >> I wish Eudora had an option to delete signature cards as soon
                    >> as they are downloaded, strip all HTML before the posts get
                    >> into the mailbox, and strip all rich text format. ;)
                    >
                    >Would be nice if they offered that option *along* with all the
                    >bells and whistles. The Outlook stationary stuff drives me
                    >nuts... people are embedding midis in those things now!

                    Actually, what I would like because of all the eMail programs
                    going multimedia, web enabled, etc. and users liking that is an
                    eMail program that would:

                    1. Have a recipient list like Eudora on the content menu with
                    Attach, change user (sender), etc. - mainly all the reply and new
                    message stuff.
                    2. Have the buttons for the ToolBar like Eudora where you can put
                    certain recipients for new, redirect, send again, forward, etc.
                    with customizable icons allowed.
                    3. Option to strip all HTML before posts are downloaded; option
                    to strip all HTML before opening (Shift+double click)
                    4. No flow control bars. <g> Good 'ol ">" in post on incoming and
                    outgoing.
                    5. Strip all rich text format with options same as #3.
                    6. Multiple ISPs of course.
                    7. Drag/Drop copy/move, add recipient, and other basic stuff.
                    8. Should come in a setup file no more than 3MB.
                    9. Should be fast opening app and little resources used.
                    10. Needs to have the regular Eudora interface.

                    If anybody knows of such a program, please let me know.

                    HTML and multimedia belong on the web and not in eMail IMO.

                    Have you ever clicked on Help | About | Credits in Eudora?
                    What a waist.

                    mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
                  • Harvey R. Savage
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 17, 2000
                      Lotta wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      >
                      > Just got this. My virus program told me the attachment contained a virus. I
                      > think I got it. Was my first, so please pray for me and my poor computer.
                      >
                      > Beware of the dwarfs.
                      >
                      > Lotta

                      > >From: Hahaha <hahaha@...>
                      > >Subject: Snowhite and the Seven Dwarfs - The REAL story!

                      Hi All,

                      Following is an excerpt from of an email from my ISP warning
                      about the latest virus making the rounds. It is identical to the
                      virus Lotta is fighting, luckily I use Norton Anti-Virus for
                      email and Norton intercepted the virus for me.

                      I've read somewhere this is the type virus Outlook Express is
                      vulnerable to but, why take a chance, "Delete it before it
                      spreads".

                      I received 2 of these emails tonight so it's still making the
                      rounds.

                      hrs

                      Please DO NOT open the following attachments that you may receive
                      in e-mail:

                      dwarf4you.exe
                      joke.exe
                      midgets.scr
                      sexy virgin.scr

                      Or, if you receive a message from: hahaha

                      As always, it is wise to run anti-virus software on all ftp,
                      http, and
                      e-mail downloaded files regardless of whom they are from.

                      If you know or suspect that you have the virus, you need to:

                      Do Not open your e-mail program when you dial-up until the virus
                      is removed.
                      Run UPDATED anti-virus software on your machine.
                      Verify that you do not have the above files anywhere on your
                      drives.
                    • Lotta
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 18, 2000
                        Hi Harvey,

                        At 05:53 2000-12-18, you wrote:
                        >I received 2 of these emails tonight so it's still making the
                        >rounds.

                        Oh yes. Just got midget.scr. I hear more people getting it here now. Nice
                        to know the AV is working. Before I got a live one the program was so
                        silent I wasn't too sure.