Re: [NTO] Virus alert

  • alice ttlg
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 5, 2000
      Bill wrote:
      > Does OE5 have an "ATTACHMENTS" folder?

      No, the attachment stays with the email in OE. Just delete it in your
      Deleted Items folder and it's all gone, no chance of infecting your
      computer.

      > if I delete it from the "Deleted items" folder assumed that the attachment
      > is deleted also?

      Yes.

      > However, the original attachment remains with the post. If I file (keep)
      the
      > post including the attachment, then where is the attachment? Have always
      > assumed it is in the same folder as the email message, is that incorrect?

      No, that's not incorrect, the attachment does stay in the same folder as the
      email.

      alice ttlg

      http://www.alicettlg.com/
      (On a VW being pulled by an RV) Don't honk, I'm pushing as hard as I can.
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 5, 2000
        Bill,

        At 05:32 PM 12/5/00, you wrote:
        >Hi Jim,
        >
        >On December 4, 2000 8:31 PM you wrote:
        >
        > >BTW, FWIW
        > >
        > >Anyone who has received it should be sure to double check and insure that
        > >it gets deleted from their "ATTACHMENTS" folder.
        > >
        > >Just deleting the post doesn't necessarily mean that you got rid of it.

        Sorry Bill,

        Doesn't everyone use Eudora?? 8-)

        >Does OE5 have an "ATTACHMENTS" folder?

        Not that I am aware of.

        As far as I know, the Outlook and Outlook Express attachments stay with the
        Message.

        Eudora however does have a separate "Attachments" directory and one should
        double check it.

        If this helps even one person keep from having to go through Virus removal
        it was worth the confusion.

        Regards,

        Jim
      • Julie
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
          Jim Hall wrote:

          >Eudora however does have a separate "Attachments" directory and one should
          >double check it.

          Theoretically, there's an option in Eudora to delete attachments when you
          empty the trash. Attachments are deleted when their corresponding messages
          are deleted from the Trash (or the Trash is emptied). The attachment must
          be in the directory defined as the Attachments Directory. If you want to
          save an attachment but delete the message, move the attachment to another
          directory or leave this option off.

          That's from Help. It's always worked for me, but it pays to be careful and
          check the folder too!

          Julie
        • Marco Bernardini
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000

            Alle 21.39 Tuesday 05/12/2000 -0800, Jim Hall ha mandato a Marco questo
            messaggio:

            > Sorry Bill,
            >Doesn't everyone use Eudora?? 8-)

            And the war starts again...

            On a mailing list devoted to pastels there is a war between Conte' lovers
            and other brands lovers :-)

            Days ago I speak with a guy of our "old-good-times" when we was in the same
            school (1974-1978): he was in the right-wing area, while I was in the
            left-wing area (there was more better girls <g>).
            It was always a war (oh, just dialectic war!): they call us "Slaves of
            Russia!", while we call them "Fascists!". Then we go to the beach all
            together...
            Now, after a 1/4 of century of friendship, we agree the present youth is
            brainless: the current war is between Motorola users and Nokia users :-(

            Bye!

            Marco Bernardini
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
              Hi Julie,

              I wish Eudora had an option to delete signature cards as soon as they are downloaded, strip all HTML before the posts get into the mailbox, and strip all rich text format. ;)

              >Theoretically, there's an option in Eudora to delete attachments when you
              >empty the trash. Attachments are deleted when their corresponding messages
              >are deleted from the Trash (or the Trash is emptied). The attachment must
              >be in the directory defined as the Attachments Directory. If you want to
              >save an attachment but delete the message, move the attachment to another
              >directory or leave this option off.
              >
              >That's from Help. It's always worked for me, but it pays to be careful and
              >check the folder too!

              Bye for now,
              Jody Adair
              Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

              http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
              http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
              http://www.notetab.net
            • Julie
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                Jody wrote:

                >I wish Eudora had an option to delete signature cards as soon as they are
                >downloaded, strip all HTML before the posts get into the mailbox, and
                >strip all rich text format. ;)

                Would be nice if they offered that option *along* with all the bells and
                whistles. The Outlook stationary stuff drives me nuts... people are
                embedding midis in those things now!

                Julie
              • ceh
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                  Julie wrote:

                  > Would be nice if they offered that option *along* with all the bells and
                  > whistles. The Outlook stationary stuff drives me nuts... people are
                  > embedding midis in those things now!

                  Doh! I haven't seen that, background pictures are bad enough. All my email
                  goes out in plain text, if I have a picture or something I want to show
                  someone, I upload it to the web server and send them a link.

                  I'm currently using Outlook 98 for email when I'm using Windows, but I'm
                  thinking about trying something else. Does Eudora support IMAP? If so I
                  might check it out.

                  Emmett
                • Julie
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                    Emmett wrote:

                    >Does Eudora support IMAP?

                    In a word, yes :-). The Helpfile tells me so, at least.

                    Julie
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                      Hi Julie,

                      >> I wish Eudora had an option to delete signature cards as soon
                      >> as they are downloaded, strip all HTML before the posts get
                      >> into the mailbox, and strip all rich text format. ;)
                      >
                      >Would be nice if they offered that option *along* with all the
                      >bells and whistles. The Outlook stationary stuff drives me
                      >nuts... people are embedding midis in those things now!

                      Actually, what I would like because of all the eMail programs
                      going multimedia, web enabled, etc. and users liking that is an
                      eMail program that would:

                      1. Have a recipient list like Eudora on the content menu with
                      Attach, change user (sender), etc. - mainly all the reply and new
                      message stuff.
                      2. Have the buttons for the ToolBar like Eudora where you can put
                      certain recipients for new, redirect, send again, forward, etc.
                      with customizable icons allowed.
                      3. Option to strip all HTML before posts are downloaded; option
                      to strip all HTML before opening (Shift+double click)
                      4. No flow control bars. <g> Good 'ol ">" in post on incoming and
                      outgoing.
                      5. Strip all rich text format with options same as #3.
                      6. Multiple ISPs of course.
                      7. Drag/Drop copy/move, add recipient, and other basic stuff.
                      8. Should come in a setup file no more than 3MB.
                      9. Should be fast opening app and little resources used.
                      10. Needs to have the regular Eudora interface.

                      If anybody knows of such a program, please let me know.

                      HTML and multimedia belong on the web and not in eMail IMO.

                      Have you ever clicked on Help | About | Credits in Eudora?
                      What a waist.

                      mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
                    • Harvey R. Savage
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 17, 2000
                        Lotta wrote:

                        > Hi all,
                        >
                        > Just got this. My virus program told me the attachment contained a virus. I
                        > think I got it. Was my first, so please pray for me and my poor computer.
                        >
                        > Beware of the dwarfs.
                        >
                        > Lotta

                        > >From: Hahaha <hahaha@...>
                        > >Subject: Snowhite and the Seven Dwarfs - The REAL story!

                        Hi All,

                        Following is an excerpt from of an email from my ISP warning
                        about the latest virus making the rounds. It is identical to the
                        virus Lotta is fighting, luckily I use Norton Anti-Virus for
                        email and Norton intercepted the virus for me.

                        I've read somewhere this is the type virus Outlook Express is
                        vulnerable to but, why take a chance, "Delete it before it
                        spreads".

                        I received 2 of these emails tonight so it's still making the
                        rounds.

                        hrs

                        Please DO NOT open the following attachments that you may receive
                        in e-mail:

                        dwarf4you.exe
                        joke.exe
                        midgets.scr
                        sexy virgin.scr

                        Or, if you receive a message from: hahaha

                        As always, it is wise to run anti-virus software on all ftp,
                        http, and
                        e-mail downloaded files regardless of whom they are from.

                        If you know or suspect that you have the virus, you need to:

                        Do Not open your e-mail program when you dial-up until the virus
                        is removed.
                        Run UPDATED anti-virus software on your machine.
                        Verify that you do not have the above files anywhere on your
                        drives.
                      • Lotta
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 18, 2000
                          Hi Harvey,

                          At 05:53 2000-12-18, you wrote:
                          >I received 2 of these emails tonight so it's still making the
                          >rounds.

                          Oh yes. Just got midget.scr. I hear more people getting it here now. Nice
                          to know the AV is working. Before I got a live one the program was so
                          silent I wasn't too sure.