Re: [NTO] Virus alert

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 5, 2000
      Hi Jim,

      On December 4, 2000 8:31 PM you wrote:

      >BTW, FWIW
      >
      >Anyone who has received it should be sure to double check and insure that
      >it gets deleted from their "ATTACHMENTS" folder.
      >
      >Just deleting the post doesn't necessarily mean that you got rid of it.

      Does OE5 have an "ATTACHMENTS" folder? I have been searching and cannot find
      one. I received an email with virus attachment couple of weeks ago and
      deleted the post. If I delete a post(with an attachment), I see it in the
      "Deleted items" folder still with the attachment(paper clip icon) and then
      if I delete it from the "Deleted items" folder assumed that the attachment
      is deleted also?

      If I want to save an attachment received in OE5, a save dialogue box opens
      and prompts you to choose (browse) and save the attachment in a folder.
      However, the original attachment remains with the post. If I file (keep) the
      post including the attachment, then where is the attachment? Have always
      assumed it is in the same folder as the email message, is that incorrect?

      Best regards,
      Bill
    • alice ttlg
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 5, 2000
        Bill wrote:
        > Does OE5 have an "ATTACHMENTS" folder?

        No, the attachment stays with the email in OE. Just delete it in your
        Deleted Items folder and it's all gone, no chance of infecting your
        computer.

        > if I delete it from the "Deleted items" folder assumed that the attachment
        > is deleted also?

        Yes.

        > However, the original attachment remains with the post. If I file (keep)
        the
        > post including the attachment, then where is the attachment? Have always
        > assumed it is in the same folder as the email message, is that incorrect?

        No, that's not incorrect, the attachment does stay in the same folder as the
        email.

        alice ttlg

        http://www.alicettlg.com/
        (On a VW being pulled by an RV) Don't honk, I'm pushing as hard as I can.
      • Jim Hall
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 5, 2000
          Bill,

          At 05:32 PM 12/5/00, you wrote:
          >Hi Jim,
          >
          >On December 4, 2000 8:31 PM you wrote:
          >
          > >BTW, FWIW
          > >
          > >Anyone who has received it should be sure to double check and insure that
          > >it gets deleted from their "ATTACHMENTS" folder.
          > >
          > >Just deleting the post doesn't necessarily mean that you got rid of it.

          Sorry Bill,

          Doesn't everyone use Eudora?? 8-)

          >Does OE5 have an "ATTACHMENTS" folder?

          Not that I am aware of.

          As far as I know, the Outlook and Outlook Express attachments stay with the
          Message.

          Eudora however does have a separate "Attachments" directory and one should
          double check it.

          If this helps even one person keep from having to go through Virus removal
          it was worth the confusion.

          Regards,

          Jim
        • Julie
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
            Jim Hall wrote:

            >Eudora however does have a separate "Attachments" directory and one should
            >double check it.

            Theoretically, there's an option in Eudora to delete attachments when you
            empty the trash. Attachments are deleted when their corresponding messages
            are deleted from the Trash (or the Trash is emptied). The attachment must
            be in the directory defined as the Attachments Directory. If you want to
            save an attachment but delete the message, move the attachment to another
            directory or leave this option off.

            That's from Help. It's always worked for me, but it pays to be careful and
            check the folder too!

            Julie
          • Marco Bernardini
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000

              Alle 21.39 Tuesday 05/12/2000 -0800, Jim Hall ha mandato a Marco questo
              messaggio:

              > Sorry Bill,
              >Doesn't everyone use Eudora?? 8-)

              And the war starts again...

              On a mailing list devoted to pastels there is a war between Conte' lovers
              and other brands lovers :-)

              Days ago I speak with a guy of our "old-good-times" when we was in the same
              school (1974-1978): he was in the right-wing area, while I was in the
              left-wing area (there was more better girls <g>).
              It was always a war (oh, just dialectic war!): they call us "Slaves of
              Russia!", while we call them "Fascists!". Then we go to the beach all
              together...
              Now, after a 1/4 of century of friendship, we agree the present youth is
              brainless: the current war is between Motorola users and Nokia users :-(

              Bye!

              Marco Bernardini
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                Hi Julie,

                I wish Eudora had an option to delete signature cards as soon as they are downloaded, strip all HTML before the posts get into the mailbox, and strip all rich text format. ;)

                >Theoretically, there's an option in Eudora to delete attachments when you
                >empty the trash. Attachments are deleted when their corresponding messages
                >are deleted from the Trash (or the Trash is emptied). The attachment must
                >be in the directory defined as the Attachments Directory. If you want to
                >save an attachment but delete the message, move the attachment to another
                >directory or leave this option off.
                >
                >That's from Help. It's always worked for me, but it pays to be careful and
                >check the folder too!

                Bye for now,
                Jody Adair
                Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
                http://www.notetab.net
              • Julie
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                  Jody wrote:

                  >I wish Eudora had an option to delete signature cards as soon as they are
                  >downloaded, strip all HTML before the posts get into the mailbox, and
                  >strip all rich text format. ;)

                  Would be nice if they offered that option *along* with all the bells and
                  whistles. The Outlook stationary stuff drives me nuts... people are
                  embedding midis in those things now!

                  Julie
                • ceh
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                    Julie wrote:

                    > Would be nice if they offered that option *along* with all the bells and
                    > whistles. The Outlook stationary stuff drives me nuts... people are
                    > embedding midis in those things now!

                    Doh! I haven't seen that, background pictures are bad enough. All my email
                    goes out in plain text, if I have a picture or something I want to show
                    someone, I upload it to the web server and send them a link.

                    I'm currently using Outlook 98 for email when I'm using Windows, but I'm
                    thinking about trying something else. Does Eudora support IMAP? If so I
                    might check it out.

                    Emmett
                  • Julie
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                      Emmett wrote:

                      >Does Eudora support IMAP?

                      In a word, yes :-). The Helpfile tells me so, at least.

                      Julie
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                        Hi Julie,

                        >> I wish Eudora had an option to delete signature cards as soon
                        >> as they are downloaded, strip all HTML before the posts get
                        >> into the mailbox, and strip all rich text format. ;)
                        >
                        >Would be nice if they offered that option *along* with all the
                        >bells and whistles. The Outlook stationary stuff drives me
                        >nuts... people are embedding midis in those things now!

                        Actually, what I would like because of all the eMail programs
                        going multimedia, web enabled, etc. and users liking that is an
                        eMail program that would:

                        1. Have a recipient list like Eudora on the content menu with
                        Attach, change user (sender), etc. - mainly all the reply and new
                        message stuff.
                        2. Have the buttons for the ToolBar like Eudora where you can put
                        certain recipients for new, redirect, send again, forward, etc.
                        with customizable icons allowed.
                        3. Option to strip all HTML before posts are downloaded; option
                        to strip all HTML before opening (Shift+double click)
                        4. No flow control bars. <g> Good 'ol ">" in post on incoming and
                        outgoing.
                        5. Strip all rich text format with options same as #3.
                        6. Multiple ISPs of course.
                        7. Drag/Drop copy/move, add recipient, and other basic stuff.
                        8. Should come in a setup file no more than 3MB.
                        9. Should be fast opening app and little resources used.
                        10. Needs to have the regular Eudora interface.

                        If anybody knows of such a program, please let me know.

                        HTML and multimedia belong on the web and not in eMail IMO.

                        Have you ever clicked on Help | About | Credits in Eudora?
                        What a waist.

                        mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
                      • Harvey R. Savage
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 17, 2000
                          Lotta wrote:

                          > Hi all,
                          >
                          > Just got this. My virus program told me the attachment contained a virus. I
                          > think I got it. Was my first, so please pray for me and my poor computer.
                          >
                          > Beware of the dwarfs.
                          >
                          > Lotta

                          > >From: Hahaha <hahaha@...>
                          > >Subject: Snowhite and the Seven Dwarfs - The REAL story!

                          Hi All,

                          Following is an excerpt from of an email from my ISP warning
                          about the latest virus making the rounds. It is identical to the
                          virus Lotta is fighting, luckily I use Norton Anti-Virus for
                          email and Norton intercepted the virus for me.

                          I've read somewhere this is the type virus Outlook Express is
                          vulnerable to but, why take a chance, "Delete it before it
                          spreads".

                          I received 2 of these emails tonight so it's still making the
                          rounds.

                          hrs

                          Please DO NOT open the following attachments that you may receive
                          in e-mail:

                          dwarf4you.exe
                          joke.exe
                          midgets.scr
                          sexy virgin.scr

                          Or, if you receive a message from: hahaha

                          As always, it is wise to run anti-virus software on all ftp,
                          http, and
                          e-mail downloaded files regardless of whom they are from.

                          If you know or suspect that you have the virus, you need to:

                          Do Not open your e-mail program when you dial-up until the virus
                          is removed.
                          Run UPDATED anti-virus software on your machine.
                          Verify that you do not have the above files anywhere on your
                          drives.
                        • Lotta
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 18, 2000
                            Hi Harvey,

                            At 05:53 2000-12-18, you wrote:
                            >I received 2 of these emails tonight so it's still making the
                            >rounds.

                            Oh yes. Just got midget.scr. I hear more people getting it here now. Nice
                            to know the AV is working. Before I got a live one the program was so
                            silent I wasn't too sure.