Re: [NTO] Virus alert

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 4, 2000
      Lotta,

      At 01:24 AM 12/4/00, you wrote:
      >Hi all,
      >
      >Just got this. My virus program told me the attachment contained a virus. I
      >think I got it. Was my first, so please pray for me and my poor computer.
      >
      >Beware of the dwarfs.
      >
      >Lotta

      Thanks for the notice, fortunately I haven't seen it yet.

      BTW, FWIW

      Anyone who has received it should be sure to double check and insure that
      it gets deleted from their "ATTACHMENTS" folder.

      Just deleting the post doesn't necessarily mean that you got rid of it.

      Thanks again,

      Jim
    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 4, 2000
        Hi,

        Doing research for my new carrier as virus hunter galore I was recommended
        this site. A couple of versions of a fake virus can be downloaded to test
        at least some aspects of your virus protection. CAI recommends it and in
        CAI I trust. Was fun running them anyway.

        http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

        Lotta
      • Bill
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 5, 2000
          Hi Jim,

          On December 4, 2000 8:31 PM you wrote:

          >BTW, FWIW
          >
          >Anyone who has received it should be sure to double check and insure that
          >it gets deleted from their "ATTACHMENTS" folder.
          >
          >Just deleting the post doesn't necessarily mean that you got rid of it.

          Does OE5 have an "ATTACHMENTS" folder? I have been searching and cannot find
          one. I received an email with virus attachment couple of weeks ago and
          deleted the post. If I delete a post(with an attachment), I see it in the
          "Deleted items" folder still with the attachment(paper clip icon) and then
          if I delete it from the "Deleted items" folder assumed that the attachment
          is deleted also?

          If I want to save an attachment received in OE5, a save dialogue box opens
          and prompts you to choose (browse) and save the attachment in a folder.
          However, the original attachment remains with the post. If I file (keep) the
          post including the attachment, then where is the attachment? Have always
          assumed it is in the same folder as the email message, is that incorrect?

          Best regards,
          Bill
        • alice ttlg
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 5, 2000
            Bill wrote:
            > Does OE5 have an "ATTACHMENTS" folder?

            No, the attachment stays with the email in OE. Just delete it in your
            Deleted Items folder and it's all gone, no chance of infecting your
            computer.

            > if I delete it from the "Deleted items" folder assumed that the attachment
            > is deleted also?

            Yes.

            > However, the original attachment remains with the post. If I file (keep)
            the
            > post including the attachment, then where is the attachment? Have always
            > assumed it is in the same folder as the email message, is that incorrect?

            No, that's not incorrect, the attachment does stay in the same folder as the
            email.

            alice ttlg

            http://www.alicettlg.com/
            (On a VW being pulled by an RV) Don't honk, I'm pushing as hard as I can.
          • Jim Hall
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 5, 2000
              Bill,

              At 05:32 PM 12/5/00, you wrote:
              >Hi Jim,
              >
              >On December 4, 2000 8:31 PM you wrote:
              >
              > >BTW, FWIW
              > >
              > >Anyone who has received it should be sure to double check and insure that
              > >it gets deleted from their "ATTACHMENTS" folder.
              > >
              > >Just deleting the post doesn't necessarily mean that you got rid of it.

              Sorry Bill,

              Doesn't everyone use Eudora?? 8-)

              >Does OE5 have an "ATTACHMENTS" folder?

              Not that I am aware of.

              As far as I know, the Outlook and Outlook Express attachments stay with the
              Message.

              Eudora however does have a separate "Attachments" directory and one should
              double check it.

              If this helps even one person keep from having to go through Virus removal
              it was worth the confusion.

              Regards,

              Jim
            • Julie
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                Jim Hall wrote:

                >Eudora however does have a separate "Attachments" directory and one should
                >double check it.

                Theoretically, there's an option in Eudora to delete attachments when you
                empty the trash. Attachments are deleted when their corresponding messages
                are deleted from the Trash (or the Trash is emptied). The attachment must
                be in the directory defined as the Attachments Directory. If you want to
                save an attachment but delete the message, move the attachment to another
                directory or leave this option off.

                That's from Help. It's always worked for me, but it pays to be careful and
                check the folder too!

                Julie
              • Marco Bernardini
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000

                  Alle 21.39 Tuesday 05/12/2000 -0800, Jim Hall ha mandato a Marco questo
                  messaggio:

                  > Sorry Bill,
                  >Doesn't everyone use Eudora?? 8-)

                  And the war starts again...

                  On a mailing list devoted to pastels there is a war between Conte' lovers
                  and other brands lovers :-)

                  Days ago I speak with a guy of our "old-good-times" when we was in the same
                  school (1974-1978): he was in the right-wing area, while I was in the
                  left-wing area (there was more better girls <g>).
                  It was always a war (oh, just dialectic war!): they call us "Slaves of
                  Russia!", while we call them "Fascists!". Then we go to the beach all
                  together...
                  Now, after a 1/4 of century of friendship, we agree the present youth is
                  brainless: the current war is between Motorola users and Nokia users :-(

                  Bye!

                  Marco Bernardini
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                    Hi Julie,

                    I wish Eudora had an option to delete signature cards as soon as they are downloaded, strip all HTML before the posts get into the mailbox, and strip all rich text format. ;)

                    >Theoretically, there's an option in Eudora to delete attachments when you
                    >empty the trash. Attachments are deleted when their corresponding messages
                    >are deleted from the Trash (or the Trash is emptied). The attachment must
                    >be in the directory defined as the Attachments Directory. If you want to
                    >save an attachment but delete the message, move the attachment to another
                    >directory or leave this option off.
                    >
                    >That's from Help. It's always worked for me, but it pays to be careful and
                    >check the folder too!

                    Bye for now,
                    Jody Adair
                    Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                    http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                    http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
                    http://www.notetab.net
                  • Julie
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                      Jody wrote:

                      >I wish Eudora had an option to delete signature cards as soon as they are
                      >downloaded, strip all HTML before the posts get into the mailbox, and
                      >strip all rich text format. ;)

                      Would be nice if they offered that option *along* with all the bells and
                      whistles. The Outlook stationary stuff drives me nuts... people are
                      embedding midis in those things now!

                      Julie
                    • ceh
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                        Julie wrote:

                        > Would be nice if they offered that option *along* with all the bells and
                        > whistles. The Outlook stationary stuff drives me nuts... people are
                        > embedding midis in those things now!

                        Doh! I haven't seen that, background pictures are bad enough. All my email
                        goes out in plain text, if I have a picture or something I want to show
                        someone, I upload it to the web server and send them a link.

                        I'm currently using Outlook 98 for email when I'm using Windows, but I'm
                        thinking about trying something else. Does Eudora support IMAP? If so I
                        might check it out.

                        Emmett
                      • Julie
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                          Emmett wrote:

                          >Does Eudora support IMAP?

                          In a word, yes :-). The Helpfile tells me so, at least.

                          Julie
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                            Hi Julie,

                            >> I wish Eudora had an option to delete signature cards as soon
                            >> as they are downloaded, strip all HTML before the posts get
                            >> into the mailbox, and strip all rich text format. ;)
                            >
                            >Would be nice if they offered that option *along* with all the
                            >bells and whistles. The Outlook stationary stuff drives me
                            >nuts... people are embedding midis in those things now!

                            Actually, what I would like because of all the eMail programs
                            going multimedia, web enabled, etc. and users liking that is an
                            eMail program that would:

                            1. Have a recipient list like Eudora on the content menu with
                            Attach, change user (sender), etc. - mainly all the reply and new
                            message stuff.
                            2. Have the buttons for the ToolBar like Eudora where you can put
                            certain recipients for new, redirect, send again, forward, etc.
                            with customizable icons allowed.
                            3. Option to strip all HTML before posts are downloaded; option
                            to strip all HTML before opening (Shift+double click)
                            4. No flow control bars. <g> Good 'ol ">" in post on incoming and
                            outgoing.
                            5. Strip all rich text format with options same as #3.
                            6. Multiple ISPs of course.
                            7. Drag/Drop copy/move, add recipient, and other basic stuff.
                            8. Should come in a setup file no more than 3MB.
                            9. Should be fast opening app and little resources used.
                            10. Needs to have the regular Eudora interface.

                            If anybody knows of such a program, please let me know.

                            HTML and multimedia belong on the web and not in eMail IMO.

                            Have you ever clicked on Help | About | Credits in Eudora?
                            What a waist.

                            mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
                          • Harvey R. Savage
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 17, 2000
                              Lotta wrote:

                              > Hi all,
                              >
                              > Just got this. My virus program told me the attachment contained a virus. I
                              > think I got it. Was my first, so please pray for me and my poor computer.
                              >
                              > Beware of the dwarfs.
                              >
                              > Lotta

                              > >From: Hahaha <hahaha@...>
                              > >Subject: Snowhite and the Seven Dwarfs - The REAL story!

                              Hi All,

                              Following is an excerpt from of an email from my ISP warning
                              about the latest virus making the rounds. It is identical to the
                              virus Lotta is fighting, luckily I use Norton Anti-Virus for
                              email and Norton intercepted the virus for me.

                              I've read somewhere this is the type virus Outlook Express is
                              vulnerable to but, why take a chance, "Delete it before it
                              spreads".

                              I received 2 of these emails tonight so it's still making the
                              rounds.

                              hrs

                              Please DO NOT open the following attachments that you may receive
                              in e-mail:

                              dwarf4you.exe
                              joke.exe
                              midgets.scr
                              sexy virgin.scr

                              Or, if you receive a message from: hahaha

                              As always, it is wise to run anti-virus software on all ftp,
                              http, and
                              e-mail downloaded files regardless of whom they are from.

                              If you know or suspect that you have the virus, you need to:

                              Do Not open your e-mail program when you dial-up until the virus
                              is removed.
                              Run UPDATED anti-virus software on your machine.
                              Verify that you do not have the above files anywhere on your
                              drives.
                            • Lotta
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 18, 2000
                                Hi Harvey,

                                At 05:53 2000-12-18, you wrote:
                                >I received 2 of these emails tonight so it's still making the
                                >rounds.

                                Oh yes. Just got midget.scr. I hear more people getting it here now. Nice
                                to know the AV is working. Before I got a live one the program was so
                                silent I wasn't too sure.