Re: [NTB] Using NTP as eternal editor for Becky 2 mailer

  • Stephen B
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2000
      Jody <av1611@...> wrote:

      > Hi Stephen,
      > Off hand, the only thing I can think of is you have NoteTab
      > marked as Stay on Top (just a guess) or maybe a Library with an
      > OnClipboardChange in it.

      No, neither of these were there. One guy on the Becky list mentioned an
      editor called Textpad, so I tried that and it worked OK, but it just
      isn't as good as NTP I wouldn't think; and the last thing I need is yet
      another text editor.

      Oh, well, I'll just wait a month or so and perhaps ask again. Hey maybe
      someone on the clip group could write a clip to get it working correctly.
      Seems just the type of problem those programmatic problem solvers
      could deal with using NTP's ability to talk well with the OS.

      But that would seem to be adding unnecessary complication. It should
      just work I think. Time will tell.

      --
      Stephen

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2000
        Hi Stephen,

        I did not realize it was you with the problem. I busy now,
        but if you send me a download link for the Becky2 trial,
        I'll see what I can do.

        >> Off hand, the only thing I can think of is you have NoteTab
        >> marked as Stay on Top (just a guess) or maybe a Library with an
        >> OnClipboardChange in it.
        >
        >No, neither of these were there. One guy on the Becky list mentioned an
        >editor called Textpad, so I tried that and it worked OK, but it just
        >isn't as good as NTP I wouldn't think; and the last thing I need is yet
        >another text editor.
        >
        >Oh, well, I'll just wait a month or so and perhaps ask again. Hey maybe
        >someone on the clip group could write a clip to get it working correctly.
        > Seems just the type of problem those programmatic problem solvers
        >could deal with using NTP's ability to talk well with the OS.
        >
        >But that would seem to be adding unnecessary complication. It should
        >just work I think. Time will tell.

        mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
      • Stephen B
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2000
          Jody <av1611@...> wrote:

          > Hi Stephen,
          >
          > I did not realize it was you with the problem. I busy now,
          > but if you send me a download link for the Becky2 trial,
          > I'll see what I can do.

          Oh this thing is not important.

          I do wonder if it is only me, something in my installation or whatever,
          or whether anyone else has the same problem.

          Well Becky is worth a look-see anyway, imo. Not sure what it costs, as I
          purchased a copy when it was at 1.23 and I liked it then, but version 2
          is far better. There is a user group/list of course, but I am fairly
          used to email, having tried out thoroughly a good number of email
          programs (Bat! Eudora, Pegasus (long time ago), OE, Outlook, and Agent,
          and a number of others.).

          So anyway, sounds like I want to sell you something.
          Ok the url for B2
          http://www.rimarts.co.jp/becky.htm
          It has some simple plugins at
          http://www.becky-users.morelerbe.com/Plugins.html

          --
          Stephen
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2000
            Hi Stephen,

            >I do wonder if it is only me, something in my installation or
            >whatever, or whether anyone else has the same problem.

            All I can do is verify that Becky sho' nuff locks up until
            NoteTab is shut down. I did not have much time to play with it,
            but I know I also have my WS_FTPLE and some other progs setup to
            use NoteTab as the external editor and they work, or at least
            they did last time I checked which was not to long ago. Replace
            MS Notepad/IE is the same thing I would think - View Source (or
            Edit). Perhaps NoteTab is trying to ship the edited copy to IE,
            Ws_FtpLe, etc., but why would it update B2? Seems like it is
            going to the right place.

            >There is a user group/list of course, but I am fairly used to
            >email, having tried out thoroughly a good number of email
            >programs (Bat! Eudora, Pegasus (long time ago), OE, Outlook, and
            >Agent, and a number of others.).

            Outlook is the only one I have not used above. Becky2 is not
            ready for me yet. It has some nice features, but not what I need.
            I have been using Eudora since 1.54 and have tried out many eMail
            programs since then... I think I will have to become a
            programmer to get one I want. ;) Pegasus is my next choice after
            Eudora, and I have hopes for the next main version of Poco.

            >So anyway, sounds like I want to sell you something.

            I thought your post to the basic list was a undercover SPAM thing
            to announce the release of Becky until I saw who you were. <bg>
            I like this list, because we are free to discus other things than
            just NoteTab.

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 5, 2000
              Jody <av1611@...> wrote:

              > Hi Stephen,
              >
              > >I do wonder if it is only me, something in my installation or
              > >whatever, or whether anyone else has the same problem.
              >
              > All I can do is verify that Becky sho' nuff locks up until
              > NoteTab is shut down.

              OK thanks for trying that out. So it is not just my machine. [ That
              the Becky compose window cannot get the focus back till NTP is closed.]

              > I did not have much time to play with it,
              > but I know I also have my WS_FTPLE and some other progs setup to
              > use NoteTab as the external editor and they work, or at least
              > they did last time I checked which was not to long ago. Replace
              > MS Notepad/IE is the same thing I would think - View Source (or
              > Edit). Perhaps NoteTab is trying to ship the edited copy to IE,
              > Ws_FtpLe, etc., but why would it update B2? Seems like it is
              > going to the right place.

              I think so too.

              > Outlook is the only one I have not used above. Becky2 is not
              > ready for me yet. It has some nice features, but not what I need.
              > I have been using Eudora since 1.54 and have tried out many eMail
              > programs since then... I think I will have to become a
              > programmer to get one I want. ;) Pegasus is my next choice after
              > Eudora, and I have hopes for the next main version of Poco.

              Yes, i think all the email programs are just getting better over time.
              The one shock lately is that AOL6 supports .html but people cannot turn
              it off. There are lots of messages on Usenet about this. Apparently
              if you use AOL6 mail you have to send in .html.

              > I thought your post to the basic list was a undercover SPAM thing
              > to announce the release of Becky until I saw who you were. <bg>
              > I like this list, because we are free to discus other things than
              > just NoteTab.

              Yes, I didn't know what this groups was for, but I subbed yesterday.
              Previously thought it had something to do with people who use NTP just
              chatting (about their lives and loves, the weather or whatever - I
              wasn't sure exactly what) , which I thought was a strange idea because
              there are so so many chat grouping on the net I wondered what was the
              point. ;-)

              Becky (like other mailers) is fine, but I wouldn't spam about it. I
              know the sort of spam you are talking about - pretending to be an
              inquiry or whatever.

              --
              Stephen
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 6, 2000
                Hi Stephen B,

                >> All I can do is verify that Becky sho' nuff locks up until
                >> NoteTab is shut down.
                >
                >OK thanks for trying that out. So it is not just my machine. [
                >That the Becky compose window cannot get the focus back till NTP
                >is closed.]

                It sure is one of those strange ones since Becky works with other
                editors and NoteTab works with other apps. You might try a few
                different editors. Perhaps some others do not work with Becky
                and then the problem might be leading to a compatibility thing
                with Delphi programmed products and Becky.

                > Apparently if you use AOL6 mail you have to send in .html.

                No comment about AOL. <bg>

                >Becky (like other mailers) is fine, but I wouldn't spam about it.

                Thanks! :) I just saw a Becky.zip file in my notetab folder
                which means I have an old worn out Library for the old version.
                I do not know if I ever completed it because of the nag screen.
                I will send it to you if you want to play with it - it would be
                for sending mail from NoteTab to Becky.

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 7, 2000
                  Jody <av1611@...> wrote:

                  > I just saw a Becky.zip file in my notetab folder
                  > which means I have an old worn out Library for the old version.
                  > I do not know if I ever completed it because of the nag screen.
                  > I will send it to you if you want to play with it - it would be
                  > for sending mail from NoteTab to Becky.

                  I am trying out Eudora again today. Version 5 something. Eudora Lite
                  was first mailer I ever used a number of year ago. I downloaded more
                  recent version couple of months ago but the toolbars didn't display
                  properly, so I immediately got discouraged and uninstalled.

                  But today, after reading your praise of that app, I dl'ed it again, and
                  lo and behold one of the first things I saw in the help file was how to
                  fix that issue. And so I am seeing that Eudora has come a long way and
                  has ideas worth looking at. I've already seen some things I like. It
                  seem to be more resource heavy on my machine, but I am way overdue for
                  more RAM so that is my problem.

                  By all means send that Becky clip. I'll look at the syntax, as inch by
                  bleeding inch I absorb more about clips over time. And I am usually
                  dead curious anyway. Thanks.

                  --
                  Stephen
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 19, 2000
                    Hi Stephen B,

                    >By all means send that Becky clip. I'll look at the syntax, as
                    >inch by bleeding inch I absorb more about clips over time. And I
                    >am usually dead curious anyway. Thanks.

                    Did I ever send that Clip to you?

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 21, 2000
                      Jody <av1611@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Stephen B,

                      > >By all means send that Becky clip. I'll look at the syntax, as
                      > >inch by bleeding inch I absorb more about clips over time. And I
                      > >am usually dead curious anyway. Thanks.

                      > Did I ever send that Clip to you?

                      Not yet. In some StarTrek episodes I am led to
                      believe that the future has already happened, so in
                      one sense you have sent it already.

                      Could you send it again anyway? ;-)

                      It will be interesting to look at. I enjoy your work
                      with the clip syntax and marvel how people seem to be
                      able to fit all kinds of ideas in their head.

                      You said this clip was a bit dated. That is OK. It
                      is worth a look.

                      But no hurry.

                      --
                      Stephen