Re: [NTO] Virus alert

  • Lotta
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 4, 2000
      Marco,

      >Lotta,
      >positively you must surf more serious sites...
      >How can you take a virus? What a shame!

      How can you think so bad of me? It came via email... Perhaps I was unclear.
      I got the virus, it didn't get me. I had it for lunch. Yummy.

      FYI InuculateIT told me it was the Win32.Hybris.B virus. What is
      interesting is that it is distributed to the members of another software
      support list. Apparently the email addresses have been harvested from the
      online archives. So, once again, beware of the dwarfs.

      Snowhite
    • Marco Bernardini
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 4, 2000

        Hi all!

        Throwing my hands on the keyboard I find an interesting undocumented
        feature in Netscape 4.7.

        Pressing Ctrl-Alt-T jumps up a windows telling:

        - # of URL's waiting for an open socket
        - # of URL'S waiting for fewer active URL's
        - # of Connections Open
        - # of Active URL's

        Interesting, isn't it?

        Bye!

        Marco Bernardini (aka Lead Paw aka Keyboard Killer)
      • Marco Bernardini
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 4, 2000

          Alle 14.58 Monday 04/12/2000 +0100, Lotta ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

          >How can you think so bad of me? It came via email... Perhaps I was unclear.
          >I got the virus, it didn't get me. I had it for lunch. Yummy.

          Do you need some olive oil?

          >FYI InuculateIT told me it was the Win32.Hybris.B virus.

          Oh!
          I find the word Hybris into a .exe attach I receive (without sender or
          subject) 2 days ago.
          Of course I don't execute it, but made an autopsy with NoteTab and mark it
          as .suspect.
          BTW the last pattern (812) of PC-Cillin don't recognize it.
          It makes something with Kernel32.dll, but I don't put it into a disassembler.
          Someone needs it?

          >What is
          >interesting is that it is distributed to the members of another software
          >support list. Apparently the email addresses have been harvested from the
          >online archives. So, once again, beware of the dwarfs.

          We have one, here in Italy, but it's in the Parliament...

          Bye!

          Marco Bernardini
        • Jim Hall
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 4, 2000
            Lotta,

            At 01:24 AM 12/4/00, you wrote:
            >Hi all,
            >
            >Just got this. My virus program told me the attachment contained a virus. I
            >think I got it. Was my first, so please pray for me and my poor computer.
            >
            >Beware of the dwarfs.
            >
            >Lotta

            Thanks for the notice, fortunately I haven't seen it yet.

            BTW, FWIW

            Anyone who has received it should be sure to double check and insure that
            it gets deleted from their "ATTACHMENTS" folder.

            Just deleting the post doesn't necessarily mean that you got rid of it.

            Thanks again,

            Jim
          • Lotta
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 4, 2000
              Hi,

              Doing research for my new carrier as virus hunter galore I was recommended
              this site. A couple of versions of a fake virus can be downloaded to test
              at least some aspects of your virus protection. CAI recommends it and in
              CAI I trust. Was fun running them anyway.

              http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

              Lotta
            • Bill
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 5, 2000
                Hi Jim,

                On December 4, 2000 8:31 PM you wrote:

                >BTW, FWIW
                >
                >Anyone who has received it should be sure to double check and insure that
                >it gets deleted from their "ATTACHMENTS" folder.
                >
                >Just deleting the post doesn't necessarily mean that you got rid of it.

                Does OE5 have an "ATTACHMENTS" folder? I have been searching and cannot find
                one. I received an email with virus attachment couple of weeks ago and
                deleted the post. If I delete a post(with an attachment), I see it in the
                "Deleted items" folder still with the attachment(paper clip icon) and then
                if I delete it from the "Deleted items" folder assumed that the attachment
                is deleted also?

                If I want to save an attachment received in OE5, a save dialogue box opens
                and prompts you to choose (browse) and save the attachment in a folder.
                However, the original attachment remains with the post. If I file (keep) the
                post including the attachment, then where is the attachment? Have always
                assumed it is in the same folder as the email message, is that incorrect?

                Best regards,
                Bill
              • alice ttlg
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 5, 2000
                  Bill wrote:
                  > Does OE5 have an "ATTACHMENTS" folder?

                  No, the attachment stays with the email in OE. Just delete it in your
                  Deleted Items folder and it's all gone, no chance of infecting your
                  computer.

                  > if I delete it from the "Deleted items" folder assumed that the attachment
                  > is deleted also?

                  Yes.

                  > However, the original attachment remains with the post. If I file (keep)
                  the
                  > post including the attachment, then where is the attachment? Have always
                  > assumed it is in the same folder as the email message, is that incorrect?

                  No, that's not incorrect, the attachment does stay in the same folder as the
                  email.

                  alice ttlg

                  http://www.alicettlg.com/
                  (On a VW being pulled by an RV) Don't honk, I'm pushing as hard as I can.
                • Jim Hall
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 5, 2000
                    Bill,

                    At 05:32 PM 12/5/00, you wrote:
                    >Hi Jim,
                    >
                    >On December 4, 2000 8:31 PM you wrote:
                    >
                    > >BTW, FWIW
                    > >
                    > >Anyone who has received it should be sure to double check and insure that
                    > >it gets deleted from their "ATTACHMENTS" folder.
                    > >
                    > >Just deleting the post doesn't necessarily mean that you got rid of it.

                    Sorry Bill,

                    Doesn't everyone use Eudora?? 8-)

                    >Does OE5 have an "ATTACHMENTS" folder?

                    Not that I am aware of.

                    As far as I know, the Outlook and Outlook Express attachments stay with the
                    Message.

                    Eudora however does have a separate "Attachments" directory and one should
                    double check it.

                    If this helps even one person keep from having to go through Virus removal
                    it was worth the confusion.

                    Regards,

                    Jim
                  • Julie
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                      Jim Hall wrote:

                      >Eudora however does have a separate "Attachments" directory and one should
                      >double check it.

                      Theoretically, there's an option in Eudora to delete attachments when you
                      empty the trash. Attachments are deleted when their corresponding messages
                      are deleted from the Trash (or the Trash is emptied). The attachment must
                      be in the directory defined as the Attachments Directory. If you want to
                      save an attachment but delete the message, move the attachment to another
                      directory or leave this option off.

                      That's from Help. It's always worked for me, but it pays to be careful and
                      check the folder too!

                      Julie
                    • Marco Bernardini
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000

                        Alle 21.39 Tuesday 05/12/2000 -0800, Jim Hall ha mandato a Marco questo
                        messaggio:

                        > Sorry Bill,
                        >Doesn't everyone use Eudora?? 8-)

                        And the war starts again...

                        On a mailing list devoted to pastels there is a war between Conte' lovers
                        and other brands lovers :-)

                        Days ago I speak with a guy of our "old-good-times" when we was in the same
                        school (1974-1978): he was in the right-wing area, while I was in the
                        left-wing area (there was more better girls <g>).
                        It was always a war (oh, just dialectic war!): they call us "Slaves of
                        Russia!", while we call them "Fascists!". Then we go to the beach all
                        together...
                        Now, after a 1/4 of century of friendship, we agree the present youth is
                        brainless: the current war is between Motorola users and Nokia users :-(

                        Bye!

                        Marco Bernardini
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                          Hi Julie,

                          I wish Eudora had an option to delete signature cards as soon as they are downloaded, strip all HTML before the posts get into the mailbox, and strip all rich text format. ;)

                          >Theoretically, there's an option in Eudora to delete attachments when you
                          >empty the trash. Attachments are deleted when their corresponding messages
                          >are deleted from the Trash (or the Trash is emptied). The attachment must
                          >be in the directory defined as the Attachments Directory. If you want to
                          >save an attachment but delete the message, move the attachment to another
                          >directory or leave this option off.
                          >
                          >That's from Help. It's always worked for me, but it pays to be careful and
                          >check the folder too!

                          Bye for now,
                          Jody Adair
                          Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                          http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                          http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
                          http://www.notetab.net
                        • Julie
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                            Jody wrote:

                            >I wish Eudora had an option to delete signature cards as soon as they are
                            >downloaded, strip all HTML before the posts get into the mailbox, and
                            >strip all rich text format. ;)

                            Would be nice if they offered that option *along* with all the bells and
                            whistles. The Outlook stationary stuff drives me nuts... people are
                            embedding midis in those things now!

                            Julie
                          • ceh
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                              Julie wrote:

                              > Would be nice if they offered that option *along* with all the bells and
                              > whistles. The Outlook stationary stuff drives me nuts... people are
                              > embedding midis in those things now!

                              Doh! I haven't seen that, background pictures are bad enough. All my email
                              goes out in plain text, if I have a picture or something I want to show
                              someone, I upload it to the web server and send them a link.

                              I'm currently using Outlook 98 for email when I'm using Windows, but I'm
                              thinking about trying something else. Does Eudora support IMAP? If so I
                              might check it out.

                              Emmett
                            • Julie
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                                Emmett wrote:

                                >Does Eudora support IMAP?

                                In a word, yes :-). The Helpfile tells me so, at least.

                                Julie
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                                  Hi Julie,

                                  >> I wish Eudora had an option to delete signature cards as soon
                                  >> as they are downloaded, strip all HTML before the posts get
                                  >> into the mailbox, and strip all rich text format. ;)
                                  >
                                  >Would be nice if they offered that option *along* with all the
                                  >bells and whistles. The Outlook stationary stuff drives me
                                  >nuts... people are embedding midis in those things now!

                                  Actually, what I would like because of all the eMail programs
                                  going multimedia, web enabled, etc. and users liking that is an
                                  eMail program that would:

                                  1. Have a recipient list like Eudora on the content menu with
                                  Attach, change user (sender), etc. - mainly all the reply and new
                                  message stuff.
                                  2. Have the buttons for the ToolBar like Eudora where you can put
                                  certain recipients for new, redirect, send again, forward, etc.
                                  with customizable icons allowed.
                                  3. Option to strip all HTML before posts are downloaded; option
                                  to strip all HTML before opening (Shift+double click)
                                  4. No flow control bars. <g> Good 'ol ">" in post on incoming and
                                  outgoing.
                                  5. Strip all rich text format with options same as #3.
                                  6. Multiple ISPs of course.
                                  7. Drag/Drop copy/move, add recipient, and other basic stuff.
                                  8. Should come in a setup file no more than 3MB.
                                  9. Should be fast opening app and little resources used.
                                  10. Needs to have the regular Eudora interface.

                                  If anybody knows of such a program, please let me know.

                                  HTML and multimedia belong on the web and not in eMail IMO.

                                  Have you ever clicked on Help | About | Credits in Eudora?
                                  What a waist.

                                  mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
                                • Harvey R. Savage
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 17, 2000
                                    Lotta wrote:

                                    > Hi all,
                                    >
                                    > Just got this. My virus program told me the attachment contained a virus. I
                                    > think I got it. Was my first, so please pray for me and my poor computer.
                                    >
                                    > Beware of the dwarfs.
                                    >
                                    > Lotta

                                    > >From: Hahaha <hahaha@...>
                                    > >Subject: Snowhite and the Seven Dwarfs - The REAL story!

                                    Hi All,

                                    Following is an excerpt from of an email from my ISP warning
                                    about the latest virus making the rounds. It is identical to the
                                    virus Lotta is fighting, luckily I use Norton Anti-Virus for
                                    email and Norton intercepted the virus for me.

                                    I've read somewhere this is the type virus Outlook Express is
                                    vulnerable to but, why take a chance, "Delete it before it
                                    spreads".

                                    I received 2 of these emails tonight so it's still making the
                                    rounds.

                                    hrs

                                    Please DO NOT open the following attachments that you may receive
                                    in e-mail:

                                    dwarf4you.exe
                                    joke.exe
                                    midgets.scr
                                    sexy virgin.scr

                                    Or, if you receive a message from: hahaha

                                    As always, it is wise to run anti-virus software on all ftp,
                                    http, and
                                    e-mail downloaded files regardless of whom they are from.

                                    If you know or suspect that you have the virus, you need to:

                                    Do Not open your e-mail program when you dial-up until the virus
                                    is removed.
                                    Run UPDATED anti-virus software on your machine.
                                    Verify that you do not have the above files anywhere on your
                                    drives.
                                  • Lotta
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 18, 2000
                                      Hi Harvey,

                                      At 05:53 2000-12-18, you wrote:
                                      >I received 2 of these emails tonight so it's still making the
                                      >rounds.

                                      Oh yes. Just got midget.scr. I hear more people getting it here now. Nice
                                      to know the AV is working. Before I got a live one the program was so
                                      silent I wasn't too sure.