Re: [NTO] Clean install

  • Paul King
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2000
      At 03:20 AM 12/2/00 +0100, you wrote:
      >*This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) Pro*
      >
      >Alle 13.23 Friday 01/12/2000 -0800, Paul King ha mandato a Marco questo
      >messaggio:
      >

      > >Do any of you gurus know a good site which outlines the steps
      > >in a clean install for applications?
      > >
      > >I have been in the habit of shutting down all programs except
      > >Explorer and Systray after hitting Ctrl-Alt-Delete, one at a time,
      > >then closing down Ontrack FixIt and TSR's, but think I'm over-
      > >looking something.
      >
      >Download WinTop from Microsoft Kernel Toys, so you don't need the
      >three-fingers salute...
      >With WinTop you can stop every program and you can also check how many CPU
      >every running program is eating (BTW, is the porting of the Unix command TOP).
      >
      >Also, before install programs, remember to defrag your disk, so the new
      >program can fit into a contiguous space.

      Hi Marco:

      Thanks for the tip on WinTop. What I failed to recall was the use of MSCONFIG
      to access shutdown for other programs normally set to come up at startup. I
      presume WinTop will take care of those, too.

      Start | Run | Msconfig brings up the options for closing startup programs.

      I normally defrag before and after installation of any major program. This
      practice has saved me much setup grief I suffered as a tyro. <;-))>

      PK