Re: [NTO] Clean install

  • Harvey R. Savage
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2000
      Paul King wrote:

      > Do any of you gurus know a good site which outlines the steps
      > in a clean install for applications?
      >
      > I have been in the habit of shutting down all programs except
      > Explorer and Systray after hitting Ctrl-Alt-Delete, one at a time,
      > then closing down Ontrack FixIt and TSR's, but think I'm over-
      > looking something.
      >
      > PK

      Hi PK,

      I don't know if I classify as a guru but, I almost never close
      any programs down with Ctrl-Alt-Delete. Once in a while I might
      even have an app open on the desktop and I can't remember the
      last time I had trouble with program installation or operation
      afterward.

      Are you asking because you do have trouble or are you taking the
      advice to close open apps to the extreme.

      I have to admit that some time back I too shut down several of
      the programs running in the background. I eventually stopped
      doing that with no ill effects showing up.

      hrs
    • Harvey R. Savage
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2000
        Paul King wrote:

        > Do any of you gurus know a good site which outlines the steps
        > in a clean install for applications?
        >
        > I have been in the habit of shutting down all programs except
        > Explorer and Systray after hitting Ctrl-Alt-Delete, one at a time,
        > then closing down Ontrack FixIt and TSR's, but think I'm over-
        > looking something.
        >
        > PK

        Hi Paul King,

        When I answered this mail the other day I had forgotten I have a
        PC Magazine Utility (EndItAll) that is supposed to do exactly
        what you are asking about. Here is the link, you can down load
        it and judge for yourself.

        http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,0011NB,.html

        Enjoy,

        hrs
      • Paul King
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2000
          At 02:52 PM 12/5/00 -0600, you wrote:
          >Hi Paul King,
          >
          >When I answered this mail the other day I had forgotten I have a
          >PC Magazine Utility (EndItAll) that is supposed to do exactly
          >what you are asking about. Here is the link, you can down load
          >it and judge for yourself.
          >
          >http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,0011NB,.html

          Hi Harvey:

          This is what I've been looking for. Thanks for pointing it out. Closing
          TSR's one by one is a pain in the patoot. I use some of Reubenkind's
          other programs and have so far found them trouble free. I notice that
          my utility suite for disc maintenance and repair also appears on the list
          which eliminates a trip to MSCONFIG to shut the suite down when installing
          a new application.

          Many thanks,
          Paul King