Clean install

  • Paul King
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2000
      Do any of you gurus know a good site which outlines the steps
      in a clean install for applications?

      I have been in the habit of shutting down all programs except
      Explorer and Systray after hitting Ctrl-Alt-Delete, one at a time,
      then closing down Ontrack FixIt and TSR's, but think I'm over-
      looking something.

      PK
    • Marco Bernardini
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2000

        Alle 13.23 Friday 01/12/2000 -0800, Paul King ha mandato a Marco questo
        messaggio:

        >Do any of you gurus know a good site which outlines the steps
        >in a clean install for applications?
        >
        >I have been in the habit of shutting down all programs except
        >Explorer and Systray after hitting Ctrl-Alt-Delete, one at a time,
        >then closing down Ontrack FixIt and TSR's, but think I'm over-
        >looking something.

        Download WinTop from Microsoft Kernel Toys, so you don't need the
        three-fingers salute...
        With WinTop you can stop every program and you can also check how many CPU
        every running program is eating (BTW, is the porting of the Unix command TOP).

        Also, before install programs, remember to defrag your disk, so the new
        program can fit into a contiguous space.

        Bye!

        Marco Bernardini
      • Paul King
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2000
          At 03:20 AM 12/2/00 +0100, you wrote:
          >*This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) Pro*
          >
          >Alle 13.23 Friday 01/12/2000 -0800, Paul King ha mandato a Marco questo
          >messaggio:
          >

          > >Do any of you gurus know a good site which outlines the steps
          > >in a clean install for applications?
          > >
          > >I have been in the habit of shutting down all programs except
          > >Explorer and Systray after hitting Ctrl-Alt-Delete, one at a time,
          > >then closing down Ontrack FixIt and TSR's, but think I'm over-
          > >looking something.
          >
          >Download WinTop from Microsoft Kernel Toys, so you don't need the
          >three-fingers salute...
          >With WinTop you can stop every program and you can also check how many CPU
          >every running program is eating (BTW, is the porting of the Unix command TOP).
          >
          >Also, before install programs, remember to defrag your disk, so the new
          >program can fit into a contiguous space.

          Hi Marco:

          Thanks for the tip on WinTop. What I failed to recall was the use of MSCONFIG
          to access shutdown for other programs normally set to come up at startup. I
          presume WinTop will take care of those, too.

          Start | Run | Msconfig brings up the options for closing startup programs.

          I normally defrag before and after installation of any major program. This
          practice has saved me much setup grief I suffered as a tyro. <;-))>

          PK