Re: [NTO] could this list get back to real subtance?

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 2000
      Hi Clifford,

      >I joined this list to receive information on important issues
      >relating to computers and programs, solving problems and other
      >topics related to these. Having e-mail bogged down with jokes is
      >not helpful, and I wonder if those of you so interested in this,
      >might just email each other privately to do so. If I
      >misunderstood the intent of this list then I apologize to the
      >funsters and will just unsubscribe.

      It is a yes and no thing. I try to make it so members have
      liberty to post what they want. But, on the other hand, I would
      hope that they would keep the really off topic stuff to a very
      minimum. I did not state it that way in the welcome letter, but
      whatever it was I said means the same thing. I said something
      like occasionally talking about the whether is OK and did not
      exclude anything except attachments (which are now blocked
      anyway) and profanity or unclean topics.

      I do agree that lately the list has gone astray of where I
      believe most members would like it and I can justify that by
      posts like yours that I have received before and the amount of
      unsubscribes we get. I do not want to start enforcing rules, so,
      I will still play it by ear for awhile and perhaps do more
      stepping in when there are too many way off-topic posts made.

      I kind of messed up posting a computer funny once thinking you
      all would like it, but the problem that arises is people, and
      rightly so, see the moderator do something and follow suit. I'm
      sorry for that; moderators' posts do sort of set a standard.

      So, in short, ya'll, please try to get back on track and keep the
      majority of the posts computer related. I don't have a problem
      normally with a short post and a link to something you may think
      *a number* of people will be interested in. Remember though,
      your interests and hobbies are not the same as many others. So,
      try to keep those links geared towards software, Internet, ISP,
      etc.

      Thank you most kindly; its your list - make the best of a good
      thing and thanks for posting Cliff!

      mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
    • CLIFFORD L MAIER
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 20, 2000