Re: [NTO] A funny thing find on e-bay

  • David Ash
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 18, 2000
      DA wrote:

      > Seems to me this letter shows that they still haven't gotten
      > over their inferiority complex even if it is disguised as more
      > of their wry humor.

      Lots of conclusions being jumped to here, if I may say so!

      1 How do you know that the message was written by an Englishman? I've
      seen it going the rounds of the internet ever since the election
      gridlock began. The first version I saw (sent to me by a US friend, I
      have to say) contained phrases like "NFL" which very few British people
      know. I read it as a satirical take on the situation *written by an
      American*. (It grows in length each time I see it - some of the more
      recent additions do look like Brits jumping on the bandwagon.)

      2 If it wasn't written by an American, my second guess would be a
      Canadian. Those references to Quebec are way outside the average
      British person's frame of reference. In fact, Canadian makes the most
      sense when I think about it.

      3 How do you know British people find it funny? I'm British, and I find
      a lot of it very unfunny indeed.

      4 It was re-posted in this list by Marco, an Italian, who I'm sure was
      aiming to amuse us, not offend us. Why does Bill Scott want to accuse
      Marco of posting it anonymously?

      Please look before you leap, guys! I think it's a "troll".

      D+
    • Peter G Henry
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 18, 2000
        man you are bitter, trying to cover up all the brits your so called army has
        killed which is termed friedly fire. Or the embarresment of having a pervert
        as a president. Or Vietnam if you can't have an honest election no wonder
        Veitnam was a shambles. If you want to start slagging the brits then make
        sure your own house is in order first.
        And that LETTER originated in the states. Or tell your own chat hosts to
        stop the jokes about the election.

        As you can see I sign my name
        Peter G Henry
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 18, 2000
          Hi All,

          OK guys, enough of the bashing countries. I certainly don't have a
          problem with the jokes and enjoy them - send at least one of the
          dozens on the issue out daily on my Clean-Funnies list. ;)

          > And the ones that do vote don't vote FOR one of the candidates,
          > but we vote AGAINST the other puke. In this case, we had two
          > really pukey guys, so we split down the middle to vote AGAINST
          > the other one.

          <On Political Soapbox>
          Amen Phil! America sure enough has its problems - big time - but
          I certainly would not live anywhere else and there are indeed
          some really nice places to with other than America.

          BTW, Floridians can count (although the transplanted Yankees seem
          to have a heard time at it). ;) The problem is not with Florida,
          but with a spoiled brat politician having a child's mentality
          that cannot loose with some dignity. Thank God we still have a
          system though that even spoiled brats have a right to challenge
          things they think are wrong, even when they know themselves that
          they are wrong.

          Sure, our politicians are corrupt as are judges and lawyers, but
          I would not trade the system for another. Humans will be humans
          and when "the love of money" and power are involved you will
          always find corruption and evil. Show me a country that does not
          have corruption and I'd be happy to consider moving there less
          places like the North Pole (if there happens to be a counter up
          that way). <g>

          We will find rude and mean people in all walks of life and also
          the opposite. I will grant you some areas are worse/better than
          others, but I've been around long enough to know that there is no
          blame - it is in the culture for whatever reason and however that
          group of people *is it is right* for them. That is the way they
          have evolved over time to live for various reasons. You cannot
          blame a person because his culture brings him up that way. Some
          know no difference. Some of the fortunate onces realize the
          wrong and try to change - they either get trampled and spit on by
          their own or they move and then normally get spit on by some the
          people to where they move to. I will say in America though, we
          have come a long way in the way we treat different races over the
          past decades. As much as I despise our crooked most foul
          wretched government leaders and I state that very lightly and
          with generosity and charity for his sake (namely Clinton and
          gang) I wouldn't trade America for any other and would re-enlist
          to fight for our freedom should the time ever arise again. Lord
          willing, it won't. There is only one true and perfect government
          which I really belong to, but my King is waiting for his time to
          make his appearance and take me home! Even so, come, Lord Jesus! :)
          </Off Political Soapbox>

          American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God! :)

          See ya in the funnies!
          Jody Adair

          Clean-Funnies
          mailto:c-f@...?Subject=subscribe

          you missed a good joke!
        • phil
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 18, 2000
            Where is your proof it "Originated" in the states. (I think it
            probably did, but have no proof)

            We are tired of bashing Florida and want to bash the Brits a
            bit. (They need it so badly). That thing the Queen wrote was
            our ticket in.

            Why do you call and Over-sexed, lying crook a pervert?

            Have a fun day. Even this is better than TV or reading.

            Phil E
            > man you are bitter, trying to cover up all the brits your so called army
            has
            > killed which is termed friedly fire. Or the embarresment of having a
            pervert
            > as a president. Or Vietnam if you can't have an honest election no wonder
            > Veitnam was a shambles. If you want to start slagging the brits then make
            > sure your own house is in order first.
            > And that LETTER originated in the states. Or tell your own chat hosts to
            > stop the jokes about the election.
            >
            > As you can see I sign my name
            > Peter G Henry

          • DA
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 18, 2000
              Hi David,

              David Ash wrote:

              > DA wrote:
              >
              > > Seems to me this letter shows that they still haven't gotten
              > > over their inferiority complex even if it is disguised as more
              > > of their wry humor.
              >
              > Lots of conclusions being jumped to here, if I may say so!
              >
              > 1 How do you know that the message was written by an Englishman? I've
              > seen it going the rounds of the internet ever since the election
              > gridlock began. The first version I saw (sent to me by a US friend, I
              > have to say) contained phrases like "NFL" which very few British people
              > know. I read it as a satirical take on the situation *written by an
              > American*. (It grows in length each time I see it - some of the more
              > recent additions do look like Brits jumping on the bandwagon.)
              >
              > 2 If it wasn't written by an American, my second guess would be a
              > Canadian. Those references to Quebec are way outside the average
              > British person's frame of reference. In fact, Canadian makes the most
              > sense when I think about it.

              Assuming it's American or Canadian also sounds like jumping to conclusions to
              me.

              > 3 How do you know British people find it funny? I'm British, and I find
              > a lot of it very unfunny indeed.

              I actually find it funny! We can't take something like this too seriously!

              > 4 It was re-posted in this list by Marco, an Italian, who I'm sure was
              > aiming to amuse us, not offend us.

              I agree and I am sure Marco meant no harm. What makes you think that I meant
              any harm? I only am reporting what I have experienced.

              My most recent experience was in Orlando a month or so ago. I was among a two
              Canadians, two Americans and two Englishmen. There was nothing the Americans or
              Canadians could say that wouldn't result in the Englishmen assaulting their use
              of the English language. It ended with their claim to inventing the language as
              though no one else should be using it! To me the language should be a non-issue
              and we should be glad that we can communicate without having training in a
              foreign language.

              I had bad experiences in London, the Midlands and some resort town called
              something like Weston Super Mare. Interestingly, I have never had such an
              experience with the Scots or the Irish. I have an English neighbor that won't
              even say "hello" when I see him or "thanks" when I do him a favor. He's very
              cold. The rest of his family are the same way. So far, I am only disappointed
              in the English. By the way, these are all college educated professional people
              that I have met, which makes it even more puzzling to me.

              > Why does Bill Scott want to accuse Marco of posting it anonymously?

              I don't think he was accusing Marco of anonymous posting. If he was, how is it
              that we all know Marco posted it?

              Marco - You've done it again! :-)

              DA
            • DA
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 18, 2000
                Hi Jody,

                It's a good idea to stop things here.

                I think I worded things wrong and people took me too seriously about
                the inferiority complex bit. I retract that statement but I can't change my
                unpleasant experiences.

                All people should realize that they are ambassadors for their country. I have
                seen some Americans behaving just as badly.

                Issue closed.

                DA

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 18, 2000
                  Hi DA,