Re: [NTO] ICHTHOS [WAS: Re: The Constitution]

  • David Ash
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2000
      John Cerbus wrote:

      > the letters which make up the Greek for "fish" (IXOYE)
      > also spell out a (secret) message about our Lord.

      Don't want to act the pedant here, John, but that symbol is meant to
      work with Greek letters. Your version uses Roman letters which are
      "lookalikes" (more or less) of the Greek letters, rather than correct
      transliterations.

      The Greek words that form the acronym 'ichthos' are Iesus (Jesus),
      Xristos (Christ), Theos (God), Uios (Son), Soter (Saviour).

      In your logo, the I, the X and the Y are okay, as they happen to
      coincide with Greek forms. The other two letters - theta and sigma -
      are represented wrongly.

      I see why it's necessary, of course - most of us don't have our
      computers configured to display Greek letters. On systems that
      recognise Unicode, the following line should display the letters
      correctly:

      ΙΧΘΥΣ