Real? Watch out.

  • phil
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2000
      Not known if it is real.

      SCAM SCAM and more SCAM.

      AREA CODE 809

      This one is being distributed all over the US. This is pretty
      scary-especially given the way they try to get you to call. Be sure you
      read
      this & pass it on to all your friends & family so they don't Get scammed!

      * MAJOR SCAM

      * Don't Respond To Emails, Phone Calls, Or Web Pages * Which Tell you to
      Call An "809" Phone Number.
      This is a very important issue of Scam Busters! Because it alerts you to a
      scam that is spreading *extremely* quickly - can easily cost you $100 or
      more, and - is difficult to avoid unless you are aware of it. This scam has
      also been identified by the National Fraud Information Center and is costing
      victims a lot of money.

      There are lots of different versions of this scam, but HERE'S HOW IT WORKS:

      You will receive a message on your answering machine or your pager, which
      asks you to call a number beginning with area code 809.
      The reason you're asked to call varies; it can be to receive information
      about a family member who has been ill, to tell you someone has been
      arrested, died, to let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc. each
      case, you're told to call the 809 number right away. Since there are so
      many
      new area codes these days, people unknowingly return these calls.

      If you call from the US, you will apparently be charged $25 per-minute!
      Or, you'll get a long recorded message. The point is, they will try to
      keep
      you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges.
      Unfortunately, when you get your phone bill, you'll often be charged more
      than $100.00.

      * WHY IT WORKS:

      * The 809 area code is located in the British Virgin Islands (the Bahamas).
      The 809 area code can be used as a "pay-per-call" number, similar to 900
      numbers in the US. Since 809 is not in the US, it is not covered by U.S.
      regulations of 900 numbers, which require that you be notified and warned of
      charges and rates involved when you call a "pay-per-call" number. There is
      also no requirement that the company provide a time period during which you

      may terminate the call without being charged.

      Further, whereas many U.S. phones have 900 number blocking to avoid these
      kinds of charges, 900 number blocking will not prevent calls to the 809 area
      code. We recommend that no matter how you get the message, if you are asked
      to call a number with an 809 area code that you don't recognize investigate
      further and/or disregard the message.

      Be wary of email or calls asking you to call an 809 area code number.

      It's important to prevent becoming a victim of this scam, since trying to
      fight the charges. Trying to afterwards can become a real nightmare. That's
      because you did actually make the call. If you complain, both our local
      phone company and your long distance carrier will not want to get involved
      and will most likely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for
      the foreign company.

      You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have done
      nothing wrong.

      Send it on.
    • JMC
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 8, 2000
        Reference 809 Area Code Phone Scam

        Phil: This is basically an old internet hoax that is comming back.

        Various alerts are now circulating warning consumers not to respond
        to phone, pager, or email requests to dial a number beginning with
        the 809 area code to "settle an unpaid account" to "collect a
        wonderful prize," etc. According to the alerts, the area code is in
        the Caribbean and can be set up as a "pay-per-call" number (like 900
        numbers in the U.S.). People who respond to these requests can get
        stuck with a whopping phone bill for an international call.

        This information is basically true. The warnings originated in an
        edition of Internet ScamBusters, a respectable newsletter that keeps
        subscribers apprised of current frauds and scams. The original
        article appeared in 1996, but a recent AT&T publication indicates
        that the scam is still active.

        Multiple versions of the alert exist because people can and do alter
        such texts before sending them on, which means the specific message
        you receive may or may not contain accurate details.

        For that reason, recipients are best advised not to forward warnings
        like these any further. If you feel compelled to warn your friends of
        the telephone scam, send them the URL of the original article
        instead:
        http://www.scambusters.org/ScamBusters8.html