Re: [NTO] W32/Apology Worm

  • CSmith
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
      Hi Jody

      Try going into DOS and using ATTRIB in the root directory, the windows
      directory, and the system and system 32 directories. The files you are NOT
      encountering probably are hidden (invisible).

      example:
      attrib mtx_.exe

      if it has an 'h' after you find it, then it is hidden and you can turn it
      off by doing a

      attrib mtx_.exe -h -r

      I put the -r in to turn off read-only in case it is on. It won't hurt even
      if read-only is off. When you've disabled h and r, you can then delete
      mtx_.exe.

      Good luck
      Cindy
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
        Hi Redr,

        >*sigh* When, when, WHEN will people learn not to open attachments
        >that are executable files?! :-)

        Tell me about it. Glad it wasn't on my work computer which the
        kids get on to play some of their games that won't play on theirs
        when I'm sleeping. ;)

        >IMHO, you should just reformat the HD, if it's a good worm you won't be
        >able to get rid of it. (good, meaning well written) If you really want
        >to try everything else before reformatting (I don't blame you)

        To be honest with you, in a lot of cases, reformat (or reinstall
        for some bugs) is much more painless than trying to find the
        culprit, but it sure does take the fun out of it. This one is a
        good one! I can't find the file that is started it all over.
        They "don't exist" in DOS mode, but you can see them plain as day
        in Windows and they "don't exist" in Windows according to
        Windows...

        Well, the kids 'pewter needed a good cleaning anyway. My four
        year old goes to town installing his own CDs, changing window's
        config, etc., and needless to say, it does get a bit hosed at
        times. He does put my wife and sisters to shame on it though
        because he has no fear of something going wrong. OH NO, but
        Window's says "Don't do that." <bg> (Calm down Phil.;) IMO the
        way to learn it to become a click'n fool and if it bites the
        dust, so what, reload, and start a click'n agin! :)

        >You should go into real DOS mode to delete files instead of
        >trying to do it through Windows. A Dos boot disk for example.

        I cam up via F8 - 6 (Win95), but did not try a boot disk.

        Thanks!
        Jody

        Clean-Funnies: click and send...
        mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
      • Red Leader
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
          phil wrote:
          > We never will.
          >
          > Tell me what you do when a freind sends you an exe file. Usually some
          > joke or cartoon thing.
          >
          > What SHOULD I do? Just delete it, and tell him "Hey that was a good
          > one." That is the only thing I know to do with them.

          Good question. I don't know what kind of programs they would be, it's
          certainly not necessary to send jokes or cartoons as .exe files. You
          could just be blunt and ask people to only send pictures or text as
          attachments, but that isn't always appropriate. Most viruses spread by
          attaching themselves to messages without the sender realizing it. So if
          someone you know sends you a message and you know the attachment was put
          there by them, it's usually safe to open.

          > Is there any procedure to make them safe. I have a good quaility
          > virus program that will not allow ANY writing to files on my machine.
          > Many times I have to turn it off, to load software.

          For actual compiled programs (files ending with .exe) there really isn't
          a way to open them "safely". For viruses that run as scripts (ending
          with .vbs, .bat, or sometimes hidden in .html) You can safely open them
          by saving the file to disk, renaming it to a .txt file and then opening
          it with a text editor. (NoteTab will do famously) What you're doing is
          looking at the file instead of telling the computer to run it. The big
          "I love you" virus was a script, a perfectly harmless text file, unless
          it was executed.

          > Will that protect me? If not, what will? Is deleting the ONLY way
          > to be safe? I have concluded that the only way is to unhook from
          > the phone line and stay off the web, or just take my chances.

          Pictures are pretty safe attachments to open, and if your anti virus
          program monitors macros, text and word processing documents are pretty
          safe. An anti virus program is good, although yours sounds a tad
          paranoid if you can't even install programs without turning it off. The
          problem (and you probably know this) is that anti virus programs can
          only detect old viruses. Unfortunately, sick people with way too much
          time on their hands are constantly thinking up new ones, new ones which
          your anti virus program won't detect.

          Anyway, there really isn't a "right" answer, but personally, I don't
          open any .exe or .vbs attachments unless I'm expecting them. Just an
          idea, you could put that new computer to use as your email computer. I
          have a laptop that I use for almost all of my email. None of my
          important stuff is on it, so if it was crashed by a virus, it's no big
          deal.

          Hope all of the above rambling is of some help to you.

          Emmett Hawkins
        • Marco Bernardini
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000

            Alle 16.48 Sunday 29/10/2000 -0500, CSmith ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

            >if it has an 'h' after you find it, then it is hidden and you can turn it
            >off by doing a
            >
            > attrib mtx_.exe -h -r

            And don't forget an old DOS trick: some file names ends with a blank
            character, but it's not a space: it's an ALT-255 !

            Marco
          • Red Leader
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
              Jody wrote:
              > Tell me about it. Glad it wasn't on my work computer which the
              > kids get on to play some of their games that won't play on theirs
              > when I'm sleeping. ;)

              Whenever there's a virus going around, my dad just tells all of us not
              to open any attachments until he can check them out. Actually it's
              usually me that ends up checking my mom's and siblings attachments. So
              far we've never gotten any but it's best to be on the safe side. All of
              our computers are networked together so if one of them got infected, it
              could spread to the others, which would be a major pain to track down
              and get rid of.

              > To be honest with you, in a lot of cases, reformat (or reinstall
              > for some bugs) is much more painless than trying to find the
              > culprit, but it sure does take the fun out of it. This one is a
              > good one! I can't find the file that is started it all over.
              > They "don't exist" in DOS mode, but you can see them plain as day
              > in Windows and they "don't exist" in Windows according to
              > Windows...

              I've rebuilt my own computer so many times I've lost count. But as you
              say, there are more fun things to do with your day... The "invisible"
              file is set to hidden. Right-click on the file in windows and bring up
              the properties. Uncheck the box marked "hidden" and the read-only box
              (if it's checked) and you should be able to delete it. This is
              equivalent to using the attrib command in DOS.\

              > Well, the kids 'pewter needed a good cleaning anyway. My four
              > year old goes to town installing his own CDs, changing window's
              > config, etc., and needless to say, it does get a bit hosed at
              > times. He does put my wife and sisters to shame on it though
              > because he has no fear of something going wrong.

              LOL, I have a 7 year old brother who is exactly the same way. He's
              starting to get a little better, but for a while he was making pretty
              free with my dad's development computer. Thinks he knows what he's
              doing, but doesn't really, and since he's not the one who has to fix it,
              he's pretty fearless.

              Emmett
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                Jody,

                I use Cheyenne/Inoculate IT, here is what I found on their Virus
                Encyclopedia Page:
                (I had to look, since my dad just called with a variation of the KAKWorm
                with a subject USS COLE MEMORIAL. What a sick &^(&%^ came up with that for
                a subject!)

                Anyway the W32?Apology Worm:

                Mtx (also known as Win32.Mtx, W32/MTX@mm, W32/Apology, W32/MTX and I-Worm.MTX)
                Win32. Mtx is a 32-bit virus that has worm-like behavior and drops a
                trojan. It uses an infection method called "entry point obscuring". This
                means that rather than executing the virus at the very start of an infected
                program (the "entry point"), it can patch the program at almost any point
                inside its code. This is designed to make detection more difficult; the
                virus might not activate straight away when an infected program is run. For
                example, the virus may only activate when a particular function of the
                infected program is used.
                When the virus is run, it infects files in the Windows directory. Win32.Mtx
                then unpacks and drops its worm component twice in the Windows directory as
                files with the following names:
                "Ie_pack.exe"
                and "Win32.dll"
                A trojan file named "Mtx_.exe" is also dropped in the Windows directory,
                and the following registry key (which runs the trojan each time Windows
                reboots) is created:
                HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\SystemBackup
                = \MTX_.EXE
                The trojan attempts to download and run files from a website which may
                contain other malicious programs. Next, the worm part is launched and
                creates a modified version of Wsock32.dll. It then overwrites the
                wininit.ini file with its own copy. (The wininit.ini file is only present
                on the system when required. When the system starts, commands in this file
                will be carried out and the file will be deleted). The virus' wininit.ini
                file contains commands to replace the original version of Wsock32.dll file
                with its own when Windows reboots. Once the original version is replaced,
                the new Wsock32.dll intercepts information being sent (by the send()
                function) from the computer to the network. If it detects that an e-mail is
                being sent, it will immediately send a second e-mail to the same recipient.
                The second e-mail has no subject and no body; merely an attachment which is
                randomly picked from a list of names within the code (shown here in the
                same order as in the infected file):
                README.TXT.pif
                I_wanna_see_YOU.TXT.pif
                MATRiX_Screen_Saver.SCR
                LOVE_LETTER_FOR_YOU.TXT.pif
                NEW_playboy_Screen_saver.SCR
                BILL_GATES_PIECE.JPG.pif
                TIAZINHA.JPG.pif
                FEITICEIRA_NUA.JPG.pif
                Geocities_Free_sites.TXT.pif
                NEW_NAPSTER_site.TXT.pif
                METALLICA_SONG.MP3.pif
                ANTI_CIH.EXE
                INTERNET_SECURITY_FORUM.DOC.pif
                ALANIS_Screen_Saver.SCR
                READER_DIGEST_LETTER.TXT.pif
                WIN_$100_NOW.DOC.pif
                IS_LINUX_GOOD_ENOUGH!.TXT.pif
                QI_TEST.EXE
                AVP_Updates.EXE
                SEICHO-NO-IE.EXE
                YOU_are_FAT!.TXT.pif
                FREE_xxx_sites.TXT.pif
                I_am_sorry.DOC.pif
                Me_nude.AVI.pif
                Sorry_about_yesterday.DOC.pif
                Protect_your_credit.HTML.pif
                JIMI_HMNDRIX.MP3.pif
                HANSON.SCR
                FUCKING_WITH_DOGS.SCR
                MATRiX_2_is_OUT.SCR
                zipped_files.EXE
                BLINK_182.MP3.pif
                In addition, the replacement Wsock32.dll monitors the location of HTTP
                requests (web-browsing), and the address of e-mail recipients. The program
                will crash if it detects that the user is attempting to either access an
                anti-virus site or send e-mail to an anti-virus company. It detects this
                communication by searching for substrings and strings in the domain name
                from the following lists:
                NII.
                nai.
                avp.
                AVP.
                F-Se
                f-se
                mapl
                pand
                soph
                ndmi
                afee
                yenn
                lywa
                tbav
                yman
                wildlist.o
                il.esafe.c
                perfectsup
                complex.is
                HiServ.com
                hiserv.com
                metro.ch>
                beyond.com
                mcafee.com
                pandasoftw
                earthlink.
                inexar.com
                comkom.co.
                meditrade.
                mabex.com>
                cellco.com
                symantec.c
                successful
                inforamp.n
                newell.com
                singnet.co
                bmcd.com.a
                bca.com.nz
                trendmicro
                sophos.com
                maple.com.
                netsales.n
                f-secure.c
                F-Secure.c
                The virus contains the following ASCII text:
                Software provide by [MATRiX] VX team:
                Ultras, Mort, Nbk, LOrd DArk, Del_Armg0, Anaktos
                Greetz:
                All VX guy on #virus channel and Vecna
                Visit us: www.coderz.net/matrix
                Cleaning Instructions:
                Please ensure that you have the latest virus engine and signature files
                installed on your PC;
                Open your anti-virus program and configure it to detect and clean infected
                files;
                Perform a full scan of the hard-disk;
                Reboot your computer.
                If you are still having difficulty removing the virus, you will need to
                boot your machine in DOS-mode (from a clean system disk) and run an
                up-to-date rescue utility that is available with your anti-virus program.

                HTH,

                Larry Hamilton, Jr.
                lm_hamilton@...
                http://notlimah.tripod.com/
                http://www.hamiltongensociety.org/
              • Larry Hamilton
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                  Jody,

                  My Dad uses Symantec AV and I checked their website and they have several
                  small programs that can repair this virus and others, plus they give manual
                  instructions. I am glad for the manual instructions, since I will have to
                  talk him through over the phone, since it's a school night, and my boys
                  need to be in bed soon.

                  The MTX fix program is here:

                  http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w95.mtx.fix.html

                  I tried their kakwormA fix and it said it fixed it, when if there was no
                  problem it would say nothing to fix!

                  I keep my AV sig files up to date, too!

                  HTH,

                  Larry
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                    Hi CSmith,

                    Thanks, but already in the formatting process. ;)

                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                      Hi Larry

                      Thanks, everybody. the Sophio fix did not fix it and I followed
                      their's to the "T" a few times. About the only thing I did not
                      see was the registry setting for the mtx_.exe which I deleted
                      quite a few dozen times. <G>

                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                        Hi Red

                        >I've rebuilt my own computer so many times I've lost count. But as you
                        >say, there are more fun things to do with your day...

                        Good, now maybe you can tell me after I did a fdisk (because I
                        wanted to repartition differently), formatted, that I cannot boot
                        up on any of my DOS disks? Says command.com can't be found.
                        Tried with DOS 5.0 and DOS 6.0. All I have is a W95 upgrade CD
                        for that so I have to go the DOS, Win 3.1, W95 route, but I
                        cannot get past DOS. I can come up on a Win95 startup disk, and
                        then start the win3.1 setup. but then it won't come up due to no
                        OS. Maybe I could go through the motions of the win3.1 and
                        instead of rebooting try installing the upgrade which has the OS
                        on it in w95, correct? Or is that only win98?

                        >The "invisible" file is set to hidden. Right-click on the file in
                        >windows and bring up the properties. Uncheck the box marked
                        >"hidden" and the read-only box (if it's checked) and you should
                        >be able to delete it. This is equivalent to using the attrib
                        >command in DOS.\

                        Did all that stuff. Window's still could not find it. Really
                        strange or really smart programmer. ;)

                        >LOL, I have a 7 year old brother who is exactly the same way.
                        >He's starting to get a little better, but for a while he was
                        >making pretty free with my dad's development computer. Thinks he
                        >knows what he's doing, but doesn't really, and since he's not the
                        >one who has to fix it, he's pretty fearless.

                        Haha, you need to teach him NoteTab scripting to keep him busy
                        and then he can go on to regular programming and make his first
                        million by the time he is 21. ;)

                        Bye for now,
                        Jody Adair
                        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                        http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                        http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
                        http://www.sureword.com/notetab
                      • Red Leader
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                          Jody wrote:

                          > Good, now maybe you can tell me after I did a fdisk (because I
                          > wanted to repartition differently), formatted, that I cannot boot
                          > up on any of my DOS disks? Says command.com can't be found.
                          > Tried with DOS 5.0 and DOS 6.0. All I have is a W95 upgrade CD
                          > for that so I have to go the DOS, Win 3.1, W95 route, but I
                          > cannot get past DOS. I can come up on a Win95 startup disk, and
                          > then start the win3.1 setup. but then it won't come up due to no
                          > OS. Maybe I could go through the motions of the win3.1 and
                          > instead of rebooting try installing the upgrade which has the OS
                          > on it in w95, correct? Or is that only win98?

                          We just have the Win 95 Upgrade too, and I've never had any problems
                          installing it from just DOS, I've never gone through 3.1. I'm not sure
                          why your boot disks aren't working correctly, but probably just bad
                          floppies. Can you not just install win 95 from the CD onto a blank HD?

                          > Did all that stuff. Window's still could not find it. Really
                          > strange or really smart programmer. ;)

                          That is weird. I'm no hacker, so I don't know what they did. Some of
                          those programmers are extremely intelligent. If they used their
                          knowledge and creativity for something creative, instead of destructive,
                          imagine what they would accomplish!

                          > Haha, you need to teach him NoteTab scripting to keep him busy
                          > and then he can go on to regular programming and make his first
                          > million by the time he is 21. ;)

                          Yeah, I probably do. :)

                          Let me know if you have any more problems with the computer. I've done
                          it more times than I'd like to think about so there aren't too many
                          problems I haven't seen.

                          Emmett Hawkins
                        • CSmith
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                            Yea, what he said!!!!! <G>

                            Actually, I haven't worked with DOS in such a long time, I'd forgotten that
                            one. <G> And I used to use CHMOD instead of ATTRIB, but it's the same
                            thing, different name. CHMOD came originally from UNIX, so it's older than
                            the hills. <G>

                            Cindy

                            At 12:19 AM 10/30/00 +0100, you wrote:
                            >*This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) Pro*
                            >
                            >Alle 16.48 Sunday 29/10/2000 -0500, CSmith ha mandato a Marco questo
                            >messaggio:
                            >
                            > >if it has an 'h' after you find it, then it is hidden and you can turn it
                            > >off by doing a
                            > >
                            > > attrib mtx_.exe -h -r
                            >
                            >And don't forget an old DOS trick: some file names ends with a blank
                            >character, but it's not a space: it's an ALT-255 !
                            >
                            >Marco
                            >

                            >eGroups Sponsor

                            Cindy (cas@...)
                            ICQ: 287141
                            If you get bored, check out: http://www.ctol.net/~cas
                            Of course, you'll have to complain to me when you see that it hasn't been
                            updated in ages.
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                              Hi Red

                              >We just have the Win 95 Upgrade too, and I've never had any problems
                              >installing it from just DOS, I've never gone through 3.1. I'm not sure
                              >why your boot disks aren't working correctly, but probably just bad
                              >floppies. Can you not just install win 95 from the CD onto a blank HD?

                              No, it needs to see a reg'd version of Window's else it says,
                              "nope, so sorry." I took a hard way around ,but got a big laugh
                              out of it. Installed Win98 startup disk and through in the 95
                              upgrade disk. It wouldn't let me like I figured, so I installed
                              some 3.1 disks on the 98 boot disk. I was able to install 95
                              that way, but it came up and said I was trying to load using
                              compressed files or something to that nature. Here's the line
                              that I about fell out of the chair laughing at: If you want to
                              exit Setup press Enter, but if use want to continue press ESC. LOL

                              That is like "Starting windows for the first time..." read that
                              one too many times to count. Or, You are coming up from a crash
                              and the thing says if you wouldn't shut down like that you
                              wouldn't have to see this scandisk again. LOL I always get a kick
                              out of reading those. ;)

                              >> Did all that stuff. Window's still could not find it. Really
                              >> strange or really smart programmer. ;)
                              >
                              > That is weird. I'm no hacker, so I don't know what they did.
                              > Some of those programmers are extremely intelligent. If they
                              > used their knowledge and creativity for something creative,
                              > instead of destructive, imagine what they would accomplish!

                              True. I always wonder what drives certain people to be like that.
                              Sure does seem like a strange way to get your kicks.

                              mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
                            • Red Leader
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                                Jody wrote:

                                > If you want to
                                > exit Setup press Enter, but if use want to continue press ESC. LOL

                                Haha! I've never seen that one before, that's almost as good as
                                "keyboard missing or keyboard error. Press F1 to continue."

                                > That is like "Starting windows for the first time..." read that
                                > one too many times to count. Or, You are coming up from a crash
                                > and the thing says if you wouldn't shut down like that you
                                > wouldn't have to see this scandisk again. LOL I always get a kick
                                > out of reading those. ;)

                                Grr, "If you wouldn't lock up on me, you wouldn't have to display that
                                message the next time I booted!" LOL

                                Emmett
                              • Larry Hamilton
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                                  A nice trick to avoid having to totally reinstall Win3.x is to just put the
                                  first Win3.x in the floppy drive, then you can install the Win95 Upgrade
                                  CD. If I remember correctly, you do not even need DOS installed on the hard
                                  drive, if you use a boot floppy with CD-Rom drivers, etc.

                                  I have done this on my PC at home, when I needed to reinstall and no sense
                                  in reinstalling Win 3.x when I will not be using it. I read about it in a
                                  PC magazine.

                                  HTH,

                                  Larry

                                  At 09:24 PM 10/29/2000 -0600, you wrote:
                                  >We just have the Win 95 Upgrade too, and I've never had any problems
                                  >installing it from just DOS, I've never gone through 3.1. I'm not sure
                                  >why your boot disks aren't working correctly, but probably just bad
                                  >floppies. Can you not just install win 95 from the CD onto a blank HD?
                                • Jim Hall
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                                    Larry,

                                    At 09:36 PM 10/29/00, you wrote:
                                    >A nice trick to avoid having to totally reinstall Win3.x is to just put the
                                    >first Win3.x in the floppy drive, then you can install the Win95 Upgrade
                                    >CD. If I remember correctly, you do not even need DOS installed on the hard
                                    >drive, if you use a boot floppy with CD-Rom drivers, etc.

                                    FWIW

                                    You can do the same thing with a Win98 Upgrade CD and a Win95 CD.

                                    This works with many other applications as well, such as Office etc.

                                    On occasion just creating a small text file on a floppy and renaming it to
                                    the appropriate application's filename will do the trick. (Like Win.com)

                                    Regards,

                                    Jim
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 30, 2000
                                      Hi Larry,

                                      >A nice trick to avoid having to totally reinstall Win3.x is to
                                      >just put the first Win3.x in the floppy drive, then you can
                                      >install the Win95 Upgrade CD. If I remember correctly, you do not
                                      >even need DOS installed on the hard drive, if you use a boot
                                      >floppy with CD-Rom drivers, etc.

                                      Correct! I learned that one from Dennis C. about two years ago.
                                      It is certainly good info to pass around!