Re: [NTO] W32/Apology Worm

  • CSmith
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
      Hi Jody

      Try going into DOS and using ATTRIB in the root directory, the windows
      directory, and the system and system 32 directories. The files you are NOT
      encountering probably are hidden (invisible).

      example:
      attrib mtx_.exe

      if it has an 'h' after you find it, then it is hidden and you can turn it
      off by doing a

      attrib mtx_.exe -h -r

      I put the -r in to turn off read-only in case it is on. It won't hurt even
      if read-only is off. When you've disabled h and r, you can then delete
      mtx_.exe.

      Good luck
      Cindy
    • phil
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
          Hi Redr,

          >*sigh* When, when, WHEN will people learn not to open attachments
          >that are executable files?! :-)

          Tell me about it. Glad it wasn't on my work computer which the
          kids get on to play some of their games that won't play on theirs
          when I'm sleeping. ;)

          >IMHO, you should just reformat the HD, if it's a good worm you won't be
          >able to get rid of it. (good, meaning well written) If you really want
          >to try everything else before reformatting (I don't blame you)

          To be honest with you, in a lot of cases, reformat (or reinstall
          for some bugs) is much more painless than trying to find the
          culprit, but it sure does take the fun out of it. This one is a
          good one! I can't find the file that is started it all over.
          They "don't exist" in DOS mode, but you can see them plain as day
          in Windows and they "don't exist" in Windows according to
          Windows...

          Well, the kids 'pewter needed a good cleaning anyway. My four
          year old goes to town installing his own CDs, changing window's
          config, etc., and needless to say, it does get a bit hosed at
          times. He does put my wife and sisters to shame on it though
          because he has no fear of something going wrong. OH NO, but
          Window's says "Don't do that." <bg> (Calm down Phil.;) IMO the
          way to learn it to become a click'n fool and if it bites the
          dust, so what, reload, and start a click'n agin! :)

          >You should go into real DOS mode to delete files instead of
          >trying to do it through Windows. A Dos boot disk for example.

          I cam up via F8 - 6 (Win95), but did not try a boot disk.

          Thanks!
          Jody

          Clean-Funnies: click and send...
          mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
        • Red Leader
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
            phil wrote:
            > We never will.
            >
            > Tell me what you do when a freind sends you an exe file. Usually some
            > joke or cartoon thing.
            >
            > What SHOULD I do? Just delete it, and tell him "Hey that was a good
            > one." That is the only thing I know to do with them.

            Good question. I don't know what kind of programs they would be, it's
            certainly not necessary to send jokes or cartoons as .exe files. You
            could just be blunt and ask people to only send pictures or text as
            attachments, but that isn't always appropriate. Most viruses spread by
            attaching themselves to messages without the sender realizing it. So if
            someone you know sends you a message and you know the attachment was put
            there by them, it's usually safe to open.

            > Is there any procedure to make them safe. I have a good quaility
            > virus program that will not allow ANY writing to files on my machine.
            > Many times I have to turn it off, to load software.

            For actual compiled programs (files ending with .exe) there really isn't
            a way to open them "safely". For viruses that run as scripts (ending
            with .vbs, .bat, or sometimes hidden in .html) You can safely open them
            by saving the file to disk, renaming it to a .txt file and then opening
            it with a text editor. (NoteTab will do famously) What you're doing is
            looking at the file instead of telling the computer to run it. The big
            "I love you" virus was a script, a perfectly harmless text file, unless
            it was executed.

            > Will that protect me? If not, what will? Is deleting the ONLY way
            > to be safe? I have concluded that the only way is to unhook from
            > the phone line and stay off the web, or just take my chances.

            Pictures are pretty safe attachments to open, and if your anti virus
            program monitors macros, text and word processing documents are pretty
            safe. An anti virus program is good, although yours sounds a tad
            paranoid if you can't even install programs without turning it off. The
            problem (and you probably know this) is that anti virus programs can
            only detect old viruses. Unfortunately, sick people with way too much
            time on their hands are constantly thinking up new ones, new ones which
            your anti virus program won't detect.

            Anyway, there really isn't a "right" answer, but personally, I don't
            open any .exe or .vbs attachments unless I'm expecting them. Just an
            idea, you could put that new computer to use as your email computer. I
            have a laptop that I use for almost all of my email. None of my
            important stuff is on it, so if it was crashed by a virus, it's no big
            deal.

            Hope all of the above rambling is of some help to you.

            Emmett Hawkins
          • Marco Bernardini
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000

              Alle 16.48 Sunday 29/10/2000 -0500, CSmith ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

              >if it has an 'h' after you find it, then it is hidden and you can turn it
              >off by doing a
              >
              > attrib mtx_.exe -h -r

              And don't forget an old DOS trick: some file names ends with a blank
              character, but it's not a space: it's an ALT-255 !

              Marco
            • Red Leader
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                Jody wrote:
                > Tell me about it. Glad it wasn't on my work computer which the
                > kids get on to play some of their games that won't play on theirs
                > when I'm sleeping. ;)

                Whenever there's a virus going around, my dad just tells all of us not
                to open any attachments until he can check them out. Actually it's
                usually me that ends up checking my mom's and siblings attachments. So
                far we've never gotten any but it's best to be on the safe side. All of
                our computers are networked together so if one of them got infected, it
                could spread to the others, which would be a major pain to track down
                and get rid of.

                > To be honest with you, in a lot of cases, reformat (or reinstall
                > for some bugs) is much more painless than trying to find the
                > culprit, but it sure does take the fun out of it. This one is a
                > good one! I can't find the file that is started it all over.
                > They "don't exist" in DOS mode, but you can see them plain as day
                > in Windows and they "don't exist" in Windows according to
                > Windows...

                I've rebuilt my own computer so many times I've lost count. But as you
                say, there are more fun things to do with your day... The "invisible"
                file is set to hidden. Right-click on the file in windows and bring up
                the properties. Uncheck the box marked "hidden" and the read-only box
                (if it's checked) and you should be able to delete it. This is
                equivalent to using the attrib command in DOS.\

                > Well, the kids 'pewter needed a good cleaning anyway. My four
                > year old goes to town installing his own CDs, changing window's
                > config, etc., and needless to say, it does get a bit hosed at
                > times. He does put my wife and sisters to shame on it though
                > because he has no fear of something going wrong.

                LOL, I have a 7 year old brother who is exactly the same way. He's
                starting to get a little better, but for a while he was making pretty
                free with my dad's development computer. Thinks he knows what he's
                doing, but doesn't really, and since he's not the one who has to fix it,
                he's pretty fearless.

                Emmett
              • Larry Hamilton
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                  Jody,

                  I use Cheyenne/Inoculate IT, here is what I found on their Virus
                  Encyclopedia Page:
                  (I had to look, since my dad just called with a variation of the KAKWorm
                  with a subject USS COLE MEMORIAL. What a sick &^(&%^ came up with that for
                  a subject!)

                  Anyway the W32?Apology Worm:

                  Mtx (also known as Win32.Mtx, W32/MTX@mm, W32/Apology, W32/MTX and I-Worm.MTX)
                  Win32. Mtx is a 32-bit virus that has worm-like behavior and drops a
                  trojan. It uses an infection method called "entry point obscuring". This
                  means that rather than executing the virus at the very start of an infected
                  program (the "entry point"), it can patch the program at almost any point
                  inside its code. This is designed to make detection more difficult; the
                  virus might not activate straight away when an infected program is run. For
                  example, the virus may only activate when a particular function of the
                  infected program is used.
                  When the virus is run, it infects files in the Windows directory. Win32.Mtx
                  then unpacks and drops its worm component twice in the Windows directory as
                  files with the following names:
                  "Ie_pack.exe"
                  and "Win32.dll"
                  A trojan file named "Mtx_.exe" is also dropped in the Windows directory,
                  and the following registry key (which runs the trojan each time Windows
                  reboots) is created:
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\SystemBackup
                  = \MTX_.EXE
                  The trojan attempts to download and run files from a website which may
                  contain other malicious programs. Next, the worm part is launched and
                  creates a modified version of Wsock32.dll. It then overwrites the
                  wininit.ini file with its own copy. (The wininit.ini file is only present
                  on the system when required. When the system starts, commands in this file
                  will be carried out and the file will be deleted). The virus' wininit.ini
                  file contains commands to replace the original version of Wsock32.dll file
                  with its own when Windows reboots. Once the original version is replaced,
                  the new Wsock32.dll intercepts information being sent (by the send()
                  function) from the computer to the network. If it detects that an e-mail is
                  being sent, it will immediately send a second e-mail to the same recipient.
                  The second e-mail has no subject and no body; merely an attachment which is
                  randomly picked from a list of names within the code (shown here in the
                  same order as in the infected file):
                  README.TXT.pif
                  I_wanna_see_YOU.TXT.pif
                  MATRiX_Screen_Saver.SCR
                  LOVE_LETTER_FOR_YOU.TXT.pif
                  NEW_playboy_Screen_saver.SCR
                  BILL_GATES_PIECE.JPG.pif
                  TIAZINHA.JPG.pif
                  FEITICEIRA_NUA.JPG.pif
                  Geocities_Free_sites.TXT.pif
                  NEW_NAPSTER_site.TXT.pif
                  METALLICA_SONG.MP3.pif
                  ANTI_CIH.EXE
                  INTERNET_SECURITY_FORUM.DOC.pif
                  ALANIS_Screen_Saver.SCR
                  READER_DIGEST_LETTER.TXT.pif
                  WIN_$100_NOW.DOC.pif
                  IS_LINUX_GOOD_ENOUGH!.TXT.pif
                  QI_TEST.EXE
                  AVP_Updates.EXE
                  SEICHO-NO-IE.EXE
                  YOU_are_FAT!.TXT.pif
                  FREE_xxx_sites.TXT.pif
                  I_am_sorry.DOC.pif
                  Me_nude.AVI.pif
                  Sorry_about_yesterday.DOC.pif
                  Protect_your_credit.HTML.pif
                  JIMI_HMNDRIX.MP3.pif
                  HANSON.SCR
                  FUCKING_WITH_DOGS.SCR
                  MATRiX_2_is_OUT.SCR
                  zipped_files.EXE
                  BLINK_182.MP3.pif
                  In addition, the replacement Wsock32.dll monitors the location of HTTP
                  requests (web-browsing), and the address of e-mail recipients. The program
                  will crash if it detects that the user is attempting to either access an
                  anti-virus site or send e-mail to an anti-virus company. It detects this
                  communication by searching for substrings and strings in the domain name
                  from the following lists:
                  NII.
                  nai.
                  avp.
                  AVP.
                  F-Se
                  f-se
                  mapl
                  pand
                  soph
                  ndmi
                  afee
                  yenn
                  lywa
                  tbav
                  yman
                  wildlist.o
                  il.esafe.c
                  perfectsup
                  complex.is
                  HiServ.com
                  hiserv.com
                  metro.ch>
                  beyond.com
                  mcafee.com
                  pandasoftw
                  earthlink.
                  inexar.com
                  comkom.co.
                  meditrade.
                  mabex.com>
                  cellco.com
                  symantec.c
                  successful
                  inforamp.n
                  newell.com
                  singnet.co
                  bmcd.com.a
                  bca.com.nz
                  trendmicro
                  sophos.com
                  maple.com.
                  netsales.n
                  f-secure.c
                  F-Secure.c
                  The virus contains the following ASCII text:
                  Software provide by [MATRiX] VX team:
                  Ultras, Mort, Nbk, LOrd DArk, Del_Armg0, Anaktos
                  Greetz:
                  All VX guy on #virus channel and Vecna
                  Visit us: www.coderz.net/matrix
                  Cleaning Instructions:
                  Please ensure that you have the latest virus engine and signature files
                  installed on your PC;
                  Open your anti-virus program and configure it to detect and clean infected
                  files;
                  Perform a full scan of the hard-disk;
                  Reboot your computer.
                  If you are still having difficulty removing the virus, you will need to
                  boot your machine in DOS-mode (from a clean system disk) and run an
                  up-to-date rescue utility that is available with your anti-virus program.

                  HTH,

                  Larry Hamilton, Jr.
                  lm_hamilton@...
                  http://notlimah.tripod.com/
                  http://www.hamiltongensociety.org/
                • Larry Hamilton
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                    Jody,

                    My Dad uses Symantec AV and I checked their website and they have several
                    small programs that can repair this virus and others, plus they give manual
                    instructions. I am glad for the manual instructions, since I will have to
                    talk him through over the phone, since it's a school night, and my boys
                    need to be in bed soon.

                    The MTX fix program is here:

                    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w95.mtx.fix.html

                    I tried their kakwormA fix and it said it fixed it, when if there was no
                    problem it would say nothing to fix!

                    I keep my AV sig files up to date, too!

                    HTH,

                    Larry
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                      Hi CSmith,

                      Thanks, but already in the formatting process. ;)

                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                        Hi Larry

                        Thanks, everybody. the Sophio fix did not fix it and I followed
                        their's to the "T" a few times. About the only thing I did not
                        see was the registry setting for the mtx_.exe which I deleted
                        quite a few dozen times. <G>

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                          Hi Red

                          >I've rebuilt my own computer so many times I've lost count. But as you
                          >say, there are more fun things to do with your day...

                          Good, now maybe you can tell me after I did a fdisk (because I
                          wanted to repartition differently), formatted, that I cannot boot
                          up on any of my DOS disks? Says command.com can't be found.
                          Tried with DOS 5.0 and DOS 6.0. All I have is a W95 upgrade CD
                          for that so I have to go the DOS, Win 3.1, W95 route, but I
                          cannot get past DOS. I can come up on a Win95 startup disk, and
                          then start the win3.1 setup. but then it won't come up due to no
                          OS. Maybe I could go through the motions of the win3.1 and
                          instead of rebooting try installing the upgrade which has the OS
                          on it in w95, correct? Or is that only win98?

                          >The "invisible" file is set to hidden. Right-click on the file in
                          >windows and bring up the properties. Uncheck the box marked
                          >"hidden" and the read-only box (if it's checked) and you should
                          >be able to delete it. This is equivalent to using the attrib
                          >command in DOS.\

                          Did all that stuff. Window's still could not find it. Really
                          strange or really smart programmer. ;)

                          >LOL, I have a 7 year old brother who is exactly the same way.
                          >He's starting to get a little better, but for a while he was
                          >making pretty free with my dad's development computer. Thinks he
                          >knows what he's doing, but doesn't really, and since he's not the
                          >one who has to fix it, he's pretty fearless.

                          Haha, you need to teach him NoteTab scripting to keep him busy
                          and then he can go on to regular programming and make his first
                          million by the time he is 21. ;)

                          Bye for now,
                          Jody Adair
                          Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                          http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                          http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
                          http://www.sureword.com/notetab
                        • Red Leader
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                            Jody wrote:

                            > Good, now maybe you can tell me after I did a fdisk (because I
                            > wanted to repartition differently), formatted, that I cannot boot
                            > up on any of my DOS disks? Says command.com can't be found.
                            > Tried with DOS 5.0 and DOS 6.0. All I have is a W95 upgrade CD
                            > for that so I have to go the DOS, Win 3.1, W95 route, but I
                            > cannot get past DOS. I can come up on a Win95 startup disk, and
                            > then start the win3.1 setup. but then it won't come up due to no
                            > OS. Maybe I could go through the motions of the win3.1 and
                            > instead of rebooting try installing the upgrade which has the OS
                            > on it in w95, correct? Or is that only win98?

                            We just have the Win 95 Upgrade too, and I've never had any problems
                            installing it from just DOS, I've never gone through 3.1. I'm not sure
                            why your boot disks aren't working correctly, but probably just bad
                            floppies. Can you not just install win 95 from the CD onto a blank HD?

                            > Did all that stuff. Window's still could not find it. Really
                            > strange or really smart programmer. ;)

                            That is weird. I'm no hacker, so I don't know what they did. Some of
                            those programmers are extremely intelligent. If they used their
                            knowledge and creativity for something creative, instead of destructive,
                            imagine what they would accomplish!

                            > Haha, you need to teach him NoteTab scripting to keep him busy
                            > and then he can go on to regular programming and make his first
                            > million by the time he is 21. ;)

                            Yeah, I probably do. :)

                            Let me know if you have any more problems with the computer. I've done
                            it more times than I'd like to think about so there aren't too many
                            problems I haven't seen.

                            Emmett Hawkins
                          • CSmith
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                              Yea, what he said!!!!! <G>

                              Actually, I haven't worked with DOS in such a long time, I'd forgotten that
                              one. <G> And I used to use CHMOD instead of ATTRIB, but it's the same
                              thing, different name. CHMOD came originally from UNIX, so it's older than
                              the hills. <G>

                              Cindy

                              At 12:19 AM 10/30/00 +0100, you wrote:
                              >*This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) Pro*
                              >
                              >Alle 16.48 Sunday 29/10/2000 -0500, CSmith ha mandato a Marco questo
                              >messaggio:
                              >
                              > >if it has an 'h' after you find it, then it is hidden and you can turn it
                              > >off by doing a
                              > >
                              > > attrib mtx_.exe -h -r
                              >
                              >And don't forget an old DOS trick: some file names ends with a blank
                              >character, but it's not a space: it's an ALT-255 !
                              >
                              >Marco
                              >

                              >eGroups Sponsor

                              Cindy (cas@...)
                              ICQ: 287141
                              If you get bored, check out: http://www.ctol.net/~cas
                              Of course, you'll have to complain to me when you see that it hasn't been
                              updated in ages.
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                                Hi Red

                                >We just have the Win 95 Upgrade too, and I've never had any problems
                                >installing it from just DOS, I've never gone through 3.1. I'm not sure
                                >why your boot disks aren't working correctly, but probably just bad
                                >floppies. Can you not just install win 95 from the CD onto a blank HD?

                                No, it needs to see a reg'd version of Window's else it says,
                                "nope, so sorry." I took a hard way around ,but got a big laugh
                                out of it. Installed Win98 startup disk and through in the 95
                                upgrade disk. It wouldn't let me like I figured, so I installed
                                some 3.1 disks on the 98 boot disk. I was able to install 95
                                that way, but it came up and said I was trying to load using
                                compressed files or something to that nature. Here's the line
                                that I about fell out of the chair laughing at: If you want to
                                exit Setup press Enter, but if use want to continue press ESC. LOL

                                That is like "Starting windows for the first time..." read that
                                one too many times to count. Or, You are coming up from a crash
                                and the thing says if you wouldn't shut down like that you
                                wouldn't have to see this scandisk again. LOL I always get a kick
                                out of reading those. ;)

                                >> Did all that stuff. Window's still could not find it. Really
                                >> strange or really smart programmer. ;)
                                >
                                > That is weird. I'm no hacker, so I don't know what they did.
                                > Some of those programmers are extremely intelligent. If they
                                > used their knowledge and creativity for something creative,
                                > instead of destructive, imagine what they would accomplish!

                                True. I always wonder what drives certain people to be like that.
                                Sure does seem like a strange way to get your kicks.

                                mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
                              • Red Leader
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                                  Jody wrote:

                                  > If you want to
                                  > exit Setup press Enter, but if use want to continue press ESC. LOL

                                  Haha! I've never seen that one before, that's almost as good as
                                  "keyboard missing or keyboard error. Press F1 to continue."

                                  > That is like "Starting windows for the first time..." read that
                                  > one too many times to count. Or, You are coming up from a crash
                                  > and the thing says if you wouldn't shut down like that you
                                  > wouldn't have to see this scandisk again. LOL I always get a kick
                                  > out of reading those. ;)

                                  Grr, "If you wouldn't lock up on me, you wouldn't have to display that
                                  message the next time I booted!" LOL

                                  Emmett
                                • Larry Hamilton
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                                    A nice trick to avoid having to totally reinstall Win3.x is to just put the
                                    first Win3.x in the floppy drive, then you can install the Win95 Upgrade
                                    CD. If I remember correctly, you do not even need DOS installed on the hard
                                    drive, if you use a boot floppy with CD-Rom drivers, etc.

                                    I have done this on my PC at home, when I needed to reinstall and no sense
                                    in reinstalling Win 3.x when I will not be using it. I read about it in a
                                    PC magazine.

                                    HTH,

                                    Larry

                                    At 09:24 PM 10/29/2000 -0600, you wrote:
                                    >We just have the Win 95 Upgrade too, and I've never had any problems
                                    >installing it from just DOS, I've never gone through 3.1. I'm not sure
                                    >why your boot disks aren't working correctly, but probably just bad
                                    >floppies. Can you not just install win 95 from the CD onto a blank HD?
                                  • Jim Hall
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 29, 2000
                                      Larry,

                                      At 09:36 PM 10/29/00, you wrote:
                                      >A nice trick to avoid having to totally reinstall Win3.x is to just put the
                                      >first Win3.x in the floppy drive, then you can install the Win95 Upgrade
                                      >CD. If I remember correctly, you do not even need DOS installed on the hard
                                      >drive, if you use a boot floppy with CD-Rom drivers, etc.

                                      FWIW

                                      You can do the same thing with a Win98 Upgrade CD and a Win95 CD.

                                      This works with many other applications as well, such as Office etc.

                                      On occasion just creating a small text file on a floppy and renaming it to
                                      the appropriate application's filename will do the trick. (Like Win.com)

                                      Regards,

                                      Jim
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 30, 2000
                                        Hi Larry,

                                        >A nice trick to avoid having to totally reinstall Win3.x is to
                                        >just put the first Win3.x in the floppy drive, then you can
                                        >install the Win95 Upgrade CD. If I remember correctly, you do not
                                        >even need DOS installed on the hard drive, if you use a boot
                                        >floppy with CD-Rom drivers, etc.

                                        Correct! I learned that one from Dennis C. about two years ago.
                                        It is certainly good info to pass around!