W32/Apology Worm

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2000
      hi all,

      My kids got a worm on their machine called by many names, but the
      main seems to be W32/Apology. The main file that
      creates/corrupts three others are mtx_.exe. It creates
      ie_pack.exe and corrupts win32.dll and wsock32.dll, plus messes up
      a number of other things.

      My problem is after deleting them and emptying trash, they come back.

      I cannot delte them from does it seems because when I use say:

      del c:windows\ie_pack.exe

      I get a file does not exist. It only works on wsock32.dll. In
      fact, if I try to find it using windows Find, I'm told it is not
      there when I can see it. No typos, I've done it 25 times if I've
      done it once.

      Before I reformat, does anybody have a fix. Win 95 machine.

      I did try a fix I downloaded ap?????.exe with some arguments that
      I was to use from DOS and did but get a message back saying this
      is not an NT machine or that is the way I took the message.

      I tried using a Sohio something or another Virus program that
      correctly identifies it and seems to make it so I can delete the
      files, but once run it gets corrupted. Plus, I have to guess at
      what the thing is saying because all the text in the windows is
      all garbled. It comes in many languages, but this is not a
      language. <g> I cannot tell how to even install in English
      although at time I do see English.

      Thanks!
      Jody

      Clean-Funnies: click and send...