Re: [NTO] Registry Backups

  • Harvey R. Savage
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 20, 2000
      Hi Ray,

      I pretty much agree with Red Leader about the purpose of the
      Microsoft Shared folders. I didn't get an exact count of space
      but in my guesstimate I too have far more than 20mb in files
      stored.

      hrs

      --
      ¿? Harvey R. Savage
      ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 23, 2000
        Hi Harvey,
        On October 20, 2000 6:15 PM you wrote:

        >Yes, I know about SCANREG but I still prefer the -hands on,
        >manually operated ERU. If I read the information correctly
        >Scanreg only creates a backup upon booting. Eru will create a
        >backup anytime I choose.

        You can also run "Scanregw", (MS KB article Q256419) using Windows Run
        dialogue box, or from NTP, H="Backup Registry" ^!Shell Scanregw to create a
        backup anytime. Following are additional MS KB articles on this topic:
        Q256986
        Q250410
        Q183887
        Q186603

        >For instance, if I am weeding the trash out of my Registry or
        >installing a couple of pieces of software I can create backups in
        >incremental steps so when something goes wrong I don't have to
        >reboot with a copy of the registry created before any changes
        >were made.

        I launched Scanregw and receive prompt to make a manual backup so it appears
        that you can use ERU or Scanregw for manual backups and I think in either
        case to restore the registry it would be necessary to reboot to DOS, but
        what do I know having only restored registry once using the ERU utility and
        that was quite some time ago.

        Regards
        Bill