Re: [NTO] Registry Backups

  • Red Leader
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 20, 2000
      Ray Shapp wrote:

      > What is the purpose of the "C:\ProgramFiles\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\"
      > folder? In my case, it contains 68 folders using 75 MB of storage. Some of
      > the folders seem to contain complete applications with DLLs, executables,
      > and data. I don't recognize many of the entries.

      It contains applications and DLLs that more than one program may use. MS
      Office for example, puts programs in this directory that several Office
      apps and even programs outside of Office can use. The filters for
      converting file types for example. I don't know what on your system is
      putting so many things into it, mine only takes up 20 MB or so.

      ---
      Emmett Hawkins
    • Red Leader
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 20, 2000
        Ray Shapp wrote:

        > What is the purpose of the "C:\ProgramFiles\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\"
        > folder? In my case, it contains 68 folders using 75 MB of storage. Some of
        > the folders seem to contain complete applications with DLLs, executables,
        > and data. I don't recognize many of the entries.

        It contains applications and DLLs that more than one program may use. MS
        Office for example, puts programs in this directory that several Office
        apps and even programs outside of Office can use. The filters for
        converting file types for example. I don't know what on your system is
        putting so many things into it, mine only takes up 20 MB or so.

        ---
        Emmett Hawkins
      • Harvey R. Savage
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 20, 2000
          Hi Ray,

          I pretty much agree with Red Leader about the purpose of the
          Microsoft Shared folders. I didn't get an exact count of space
          but in my guesstimate I too have far more than 20mb in files
          stored.

          hrs

          --
          ¿? Harvey R. Savage
          ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 23, 2000
            Hi Harvey,
            On October 20, 2000 6:15 PM you wrote:

            >Yes, I know about SCANREG but I still prefer the -hands on,
            >manually operated ERU. If I read the information correctly
            >Scanreg only creates a backup upon booting. Eru will create a
            >backup anytime I choose.

            You can also run "Scanregw", (MS KB article Q256419) using Windows Run
            dialogue box, or from NTP, H="Backup Registry" ^!Shell Scanregw to create a
            backup anytime. Following are additional MS KB articles on this topic:
            Q256986
            Q250410
            Q183887
            Q186603

            >For instance, if I am weeding the trash out of my Registry or
            >installing a couple of pieces of software I can create backups in
            >incremental steps so when something goes wrong I don't have to
            >reboot with a copy of the registry created before any changes
            >were made.

            I launched Scanregw and receive prompt to make a manual backup so it appears
            that you can use ERU or Scanregw for manual backups and I think in either
            case to restore the registry it would be necessary to reboot to DOS, but
            what do I know having only restored registry once using the ERU utility and
            that was quite some time ago.

            Regards
            Bill